Blue and Yellow

Chapter 8

I had never been to a concert before, I didn't know how ticket sales worked. I had no idea what the kid had called will call tickets were, I didnt even know if they actually reserved tickets like I had told the kid.

"Are you Eli?" the lady asked nicely, looking cheerful in her old fashioned jacket that I guess was suppose to go with the old fashioned theme of the theater.

"Yeah, Eli Krane," I said, preparing to have to show my ID to the lady.

"All right dear, Bert gave me a ticket for you, and a pass just incase you were given any trouble," the lady said as she smiled and passed me my pieces through the little half circle hole in the glass.

"Thank you," I said as I took my ticket and pass and stuck both in my purse.

"No problem. Also I believe that you are to go in now. Just flash your pass at the guy at the door and hell let you on in," she said before returning to her romance novel.

"Thanks," I said as I turned to see where the front doors were.

I saw them. And the giant like bouncer guys standing in front of them. I had to smile a bit. I mean, come one. Seriously. These kids might look different, but they didnt look like they were going to storm the castle any time soon. Antsy? Yes. They were talking excitedly and bouncing or shifting from side to side, they were excited for the concert. But they didn't look like they were going to storm the place to get in early. They looked smarter than that. But I guess it was precautionary at least and that maybe sometimes there were the crazy few who couldn't contain themselves. Taking another glance at the overly muscled security guys I approached anyway.

"Hi, I was told that Bert wanted me to go in early. And that I was suppose to show you this for verification," I said to one of the guards as I held up my pass.

"Eli?" he asked me as he took only a quick glance at the pass.

"Yup," I said, I guess they really had been expecting me.

"Go right in, turn left and walk down a corridor a few feet. You'll come to a small room. Just wait there," he said kindly as he opened the door for me to let me.

"Thanks. So left, walk and then sit. Got it," I said as I started through the opened door.

I had to smile when I heard some the kids shout about how I was let in early and the security guard just shouted at them to quiet down and wait till the doors opened. As the door shut the light availability lessened and it kind of went dark.

"Left, walk, sit," I repeated.

I turned left and did in fact see a small hallway that was dimly lit. Turning foot I started to walk down it till I came upon the room I guessed I was supposed to sit and wait in. It was odd. It looked more like a cross between a green room for theater and a dressing room for musicians, not a room where you met somebody. There were Used posters up all over the walls, and other band posters. Even some of different acts that had come to the theater, all the different bands and tours. It was nice. Reminded me of what I use to be like.

Feeling comfortable I sat down on a giant faded pale mint green couch that smelled of years of foundation and cake makeup and deodorant from gods knows how many plays that were put on. I got lost in my thoughts of Broadway type musicals as I was looking around at the posters when I was interrupted by loud laughing and ruckus noises that was coming closer. Finally the laughter and loud noise burst through the only other door to the room, the one I hadn't entered, the one I figured went to the stage.

"Eli!" I heard Bert's now overly familiar voice shout loudly.

He sounded happy. He sounded hyper. He sounded like it was Christmas come early instead of just me sitting on a smelly couch. But it felt nice. And I smiled as I turned to face the over exuberant man I had some how come to think of as a friend.

"Hi Bert. Bert's friends," I said happily to Bert, and then politely to Dan, Quinn and Jeph.

I was still trying to play it like I didn't really know who they were. And I hoped it was working. And it seemed kind of like it was for the other three guys just sort of waved and smiled at me like we were old friends and they werent famous musicians and I fan or anything.

"So," Bert said as he ran and leapt and landed on the couch beside me.

And well it didn't look comfortable, and I had no idea he could fold the way he was crumpled up. But he didn't seem to mind, he just unfolded, un-crumpled, like he had no bones and righted himself till he was sitting next to me.

"Here's the big surprise. My full name is Bert McCracken, and I'm in a band called The Used," he said all excited like throwing his hands up in the air like it was a massive surprise.

I wanted to laugh, to giggle, to something. But I didn't. But it really was cute. He was so damn excited, so I went along with my act just at least to not let him down.

"You're in a band?" I asked all shocked like, trying to hide the smile that I knew was in my eyes.

"Yeah, and we're kinda good if I do say so myself. And we're playing tonight. Here. That was what the ticket was for and the pass, so you could come see the show," he announced all cheery like.

"Wow, really? That's so awesome. Thanks Bert," I said, not knowing how cheesy I sounded but hoping it came off as real gratitude.

Which it was, he had no idea how much this meant to me. He had no idea the significance behind this to me. And unfortunately he couldn't find out either.

"So let me introduce you to these losers over here. This goofy looking mother fucker is Dan, our drummer. The blonde bombshell is our guitarist, and my secret love bunny, Quinn. And lastly we have the heartbreak kid himself, Jeph, our bassist. Which leaves me, yours truly as the singer," he introduced all giddy like.

"Nice to meet you all. But Bert I have some bad news. I have to leave before ten to get back home," I said, hoping he caught the whole catch-my-drift tone in my voice.

"Awwww, why do you... oh yeah. Well you could stay with us for the night and then you wouldn't have to worry," he offered kindly.

"No I really couldn't," I said, not wanting to impose.

Especially since I didn't want to give him the control of the situation by saying where I could stay. But I swallowed it, well as much of that fear as I could. He really seemed genuine and I knew that he didn't mean it in the way I was taking it, in the life controlling sense.

"I insist. No if ands or buts," he said and then crossed his arms across his chest and tried to look all stern like.

"All right I give, you win, "I sighed before starting to rummage through my purse.

"Yay!" Bert shouted and started to clap his hands together excitedly.

I shook my head at his reaction and smiled as I found what I was looking for.

"Can I smoke in here?" I asked, not sure if I could or not, but knew that Bert smoked.

"It's not really allowed, but they let us do it anyway since they love us. So go ahead, but only if I can bum one, I left my pack on the stage," Bert said as he held his hand out expectantly.

"Oh if that's the price I have to pay then forget about it," I said jokingly as I put my smokes back in my purse dramatically.

"But, but, but... please? I'm too lazy to go get mine and I really want a cigarette," Bert whined.

"Fine," I said with a large dramatic sigh as I took them back out and handed him one before getting one out for myself.

I stuck the unlit cancer stick between my lips as I put the pack back and dug for my lighter. Then I stopped when I heard a lighter light right near my head.

"Here," Bert said as he held out his lit lighter for me to use.

"Thanks," I replied as I leaned in, put my hand on his to steady it and lit my cigarette.

We sat around for a few minutes, all us smokers smoking out cigarettes, and we talked about well the band mainly. They explained what type of music they were, or had heard themselves categorized as. They explained what they were like. And the whole time I had to not add my own opinion on what I thought of their music since I had to keep it like I had no idea who they all were.

Eventually they stood up.

"We've got to go finish getting ready, all the last minute checks. Since the show starts soon and the kids have already piled into the theater. We thought you might want to either watch from the backstage part, the wings really, or go down in front between the stage and the floor where the kids are," Bert said as he stood up and stretched, his shirt lifting and his little tummy showing.

It was slightly fuzzy and I almost laughed. But I didn't.

"I'd love to watch it from the wings," I said happily as I stood.

"Goodie goodie gumdrops! You can even leave your stuff in here since it stays locked and no one besides us, and you now, are allowed back here. So it'll be fine and you don't have to worry about holding onto it during the show," Bert said as he waved his hand about, showcasing the room and how it would be safe.

"Thanks," I said as I threw my bag onto the couch I had been sitting on.

I followed them towards the door that led to the stage.

"Aren't you going to leave your hoodie?" Bert asked as he held the door open for me.

"Nah, I wear it all year round so I've gotten use to always having it on," I said lamely.

"And it hides my bandages and makeshift cast," I thought to myself as I said my lame lie, which thankfully wasn't a complete lie.

I did usually always where my hoodie. When I could. Well more like when I was allowed. But that was then, and this was now. And now I lived in it basically.

"Whatever floats your boat," Bert said as he followed me through the door and towards the stage.

I simply nodded and listened to the world going on around me backstage.
♠ ♠ ♠
Slightly short, slightly filler.
Meh.