The Perfect Fan

chapter 12

" Paige had this boyfriend for a few months a couple of years ago but he was kind of weird. He was real clingy and didn't like them to go out, ever. He hated me." Leo was explaining. " So she broke up with him and he lost his mind. He broke into her place, waited until she came home and kidnapped her. She was gone for two weeks before she was found."

" Where was she?" Sean asked. He had his arms crossed over his chest while he listened. Norman was staring at Paige from across the parking lot.

" She was being kept in this warehouse. She was half dead and found by a junkie who broke in to get high. Mike, her ex, had kept her tied to a bed, only letting her up to shower and stuff I guess. He tied her wrists and ankles with chains. In between the links he had threaded the scarfs, pink and white polka dotted scarfs. He only fed her enough to just keep her going."

" Poor Paige." Hailey said softly.

" Yeah, so, one day I guess he just lost it with her and he beat her pretty bad, so bad that when she was found, she was barely alive. The paramedics arrive and she was taken to the hospital. She was unconscious for another two weeks. That was when we found out why Mike didn't like going out anywhere. He was wanted by the FBI for murder of two ex-girlfriends."

" Do you guys think he was the one who broke into the store?" Norman asked.

" Not at first. I mean, Paige asked me if I thought it was him but I didn't. I called the agents working on her case just to give them a heads up on what was going with her and they called in Veck." Leo said.

" So that was why you guys had that fight after he left." Hailey said.

" Yeah, she was pissed that I hadn't told her I was worried but I didn't want to upset her. She had been through so much. She had been through therapy and had been on medicine for a while because she was terrified to be alone. She was scared of the dark for while. I moved her into my place after she got out of the hospital because she was too scared of her apartment. This happen two and a half years ago. When we moved here it was the first time since everything happen that she started sleeping in her own bed."

" What?" Sean asked with a frown. " You guys have been sleeping together?" Norman found himself narrowing his eyes slightly.

" Not sleeping together as in sex. But she was so scared after she got out of the hospital that she couldn't sleep alone. She would come into my bed and we just kept sharing the bed. When her uncle got sick, he asked her to come here to take over the store. She felt like she could have a fresh start. I got a job here because I didn't want her alone so we moved together. When we got this apartment she decided it was time to move on." Leo explained. " And let me tell you, I was glad. Sharing a bed with your best friend really makes your dating life hell. Plus, she just couldn't be alone so I gave up my life to bring her through this."

" Leo, we need to talk." Veck said as he came over to the group.

" They know everything so you can talk in front of them." Leo said, with all four faced the detective.

" Well it doesn't look like he broke in or anything but we can't be sure he won't try so I think you guys need to go and stay somewhere else. I contacted Agent Hotchner. He and his team are on their way here. They should get here in a few hours. We are going to set up a watch here and at her store. I don't want her alone. Hotchner feels as though he may be coming to finish what he started with her." Veck said, making Leo pale.

" They think he is going to kill her, don't they?" He asked.

" We are concerned, yes." Veck said. " Is there some place you can take her? If not, we can book a hotel."

" They can stay with me." Norman spoke up. Leo looked at him.

" Are you sure?" He asked. Norman nodded.

" You can't get into my apartment building without a key and there are cameras everywhere." He said.

" Okay, well, I will still have someone patrol the building. I don't want her alone. We are going to have plain clothed officers or the FBI agents stationed in her store. They will act as employees." Veck said. "You two pack bags then we need to go to the station. I need to fill out paperwork and I need statements from you three."

" Should I go pack now?" Leo asked.

" Yeah. I'm going to talk to her and tell her what is going on then a few officers will escort her into the apartment." Veck said.

" Okay, sounds good." Leo said.

Sean, Hailey, and Norman stood back, watching the police and taking in all the information they had learned. None of them were talking. Norman watched as Veck walked towards his car. Veck opened the door and crouched down in front of her. He was talking to her for a few minutes before he stood up and took her hand. He pulled her out of the car then closed the door and placed his hand on her lower back. Other officer came to her left side and yet another one came up behind her. The four moved together with Paige staring at the ground the police force looking around. They walked past the three and to the stairs with her never looking at anyone.

" I had no idea that happen to her." Hailey said softly as they watched. " I feel so bad."

" It explains why they are so close." Sean said.

" She must be terrified." Hailey said.

" Maybe you should see if you can help her pack." Sean suggested.

" Yeah, that's a good idea." Hailey said. When she walked away, Sean turned towards Norman.

" What are you thinking?" He asked. Norman started to rub his chin.

" I don't know. This is a lot to take in." He said.

" No shit, man. I want to teach her some self defense moves." Sean said.

" Yeah, that's a good idea." Norman agreed. He put his hand into his hair. " I feel a little blind sided. I knew her last boyfriend was a jerk, she had told me that, but this..."

" Goes beyond some guy being a jerk." Sean said. " Are you mad at her?"

" No. I'm just surprised that she never told me. I guess I thought we were getting close." He said.

" This is huge though and you can't blame her for not telling you."

" I don't. I'm just not sure what to say to her." He said. " I want to help her but I can't if she is going to keep me at arms length."

" Than explain that to her. Don't let her pull away, you know, man? If she doesn't want to talk, hug her or something, just do something that lets her know you care because I know you do. You like this girl."

" I do." Norman said as he nodded. " I'm way into her. This doesn't change anything, I'm just not sure how to handle this right now."

" I hear you. This is a tough one. Damn, I can't even image what she went through. Did you see Leo's face? He's freaked." Sean said.

" Shit, I'm freaked." Norman said. " I guess I can understand why she has been so against us dating."

" Yeah but things have been changing for you guys. I noticed you're touching and shit."

" Yeah but she has just let me do that, like within the last few weeks." Norman defended.

" Or maybe you have just started really trying." Sean said. Norman nodded and sighed.

" I didn't want to make her uncomfortable but maybe I should try harder." He said.

" She's going to need it now more then ever." His friend said.