The Perfect Fan

Chapter 17

' I wish I could come over. I'm nervous. I hate that you're alone.' Norman's text message read.

' I'm okay. Hotchner, Morgan, and Rossi are in the van down stairs. They can see everything that is going on inside the apartment.' Paige texted back.

' Can you just pretend that you want me there? Can you pretend that it would make you feel better if I was with you?' He asked, making her laugh.

' I do want you here and I would feel better if you were here. But if I know you are nervous, I'm going to get more nervous. Tell me what you guys are doing. Distract me, please.' She said.

' Well, Leo is trying to teach Reid the drinking game, Asshole. Prentiss and Reid are drinking cokes instead of beer. Leo is nervous and talking a mile a minute. He keeps asking if you are okay. What are you doing?' Norman said.

' Laying in bed, texting you. Check it out, the cameras in here are are so small that I don't even know where they are. It's crazy!' She said.

' If you get scared in the middle of the night just call me.' Norman said. ' Tomorrow I will just be a text or phone call away.'

Hotchner and Rossi had rigged up Paige's and Leo's apartment when she was staying with Norman. They were watching the monitors from a van in the parking lot. They hadn't really thought anything was going to happen for the first few nights. They felt as though Mike would watch her to make sure she was really alone before he made a move. Leo and Norman had decided to sit in on the stake out on the third night. It was driving them both crazy to just be sitting around Norman's apartment. And it was third night that Mike finally made an appearance.

Paige had been laying in her bed about an hour, not sleeping, when a man crept up to her apartment door. He was tall and wearing a baseball hat but the tiny camera that had been placed at the peep hole of her door picked up his face clearly. Leo held his breath, Norman tensed while the agents watched closely. It wasn't enough that he came to her door, they needed him inside where he couldn't run from them. So after they confirmed it was him, they watched as he picked her lock. The agents readied their guns, radioed to Veck and his men, and waited.

" Wake up, Paige." At the sound of his voice, her blood ran cold. She opened her eyes a second before Mike's hand covered her mouth. " Surprise, Honey! I fucking found you!" He grabbed her arm and yanked her out of bed. " With the help of your little famous boyfriend that is. We have some unfinished business to attend too." Paige flinced when he slowly raked a knife down the side of her face and to her neck. He smiled as he took his hand from her mouth.

" Get away from me." She hissed.

" I'm going to make you beg for death just like that other bitch did. Jenna thought she was going to leave me too, but no! No one leaves me!" Mike yelled, yanking her to him. The door to her apartment burst open, making Mike pull Paige in front of him and put the knife to her throat.

" Mike Watson, put the knife down!" Morgan yelled out as the agents and officers appeared at her door way with their guns up.

" Do not move or I swear to God I will slit her throat!" Mike yelled.

" You don't want to do that." Hotchner said calmly.

" Actually you're right." Mike said. He moved the knife from her throat to her chest. " If I stab her in the chest she will die slowly and it will hurt more. That's what I want to do."

" Come on, man, put down the knife." Morgan said as he took a step into the room. Mike pressed the tip of the knife into Paige's chest, piercing her skin, right by her heart. She cried out, making Morgan step back.

" Get the fuck back!" Mike yelled.

" You don't have to hurt her." Hotchner said. " We can go down to the station and talk this out." Mike laughed, gripping Paige against his chest harder.

" Talk what out?! You think I don't know I'm going to prison?! I refuse!" He yelled.

" You aren't getting out of here with her." Rossi said. Mike smiled again.

" No, I'm not. At least not alive but neither is she." He said.

Norman and Leo watched from the inside of the van as Mike plunged the knife straight into Paige's chest. They had been forbidden to go up to the apartment. The minute the knife disappeared inside Paige both men yelled and turned away from the monitors. Leo throw open the door and they both took off towards the stairs.

Mike yanked the knife out of Paige's chest and stabbed it into her side. Her blood flowed freely over his hands and he lost contact with her body. Paige fell to the floor at the same time Morgan, Rossi, and Hotchner opened fire on Mike. The bullets were hitting him in the chest, stomach, shoulders and his head. He fell straight back and didn't make a move, but neither did Paige.

" Paige!" Leo yelled as he and Norman tried to rush into the apartment. Veck's men stopped them from running in completely.

XXXXXX

The first thing that hit Paige when her systems started to come back online was pain. Pain in her chest and pain at her side. She squeezed her hands closed and whined because she couldn't manage any other sounds. Some one's hand quickly traveled up her left arm while someone else started touching her head from the right side. She heard Leo talking but couldn't answer him. She turned her head to the right, towards his voice but the pain was to great for her to open her eyes. Someone called out to them over a loud speaker and she heard both Norman's and Leo's panicked voices. There was a fast paced beeping sound mixed in with their voices. She turned her head to the left, towards the sound of Norman's voice as she felt his hand come to her cheek.

" Don't cry, Babe. The nurse is coming to give you something." She heard him say. " They are going to give you something for the pain, just hold on." She wasn't crying, was she? She couldn't even tell. A second later something was burning up her arm.

" Okay Paige," A female voice said from the right side. " it's going to take about 30 seconds for the pain meds to kick in. It's in your IV now."

" Relax, Babe." Norman said softly as his hand went into her hair.

" Just breath, Paigey." Leo's voice was the last thing she heard before the darkness pulled her down again.

The next time she started to wake up only her left hand was behind held and she noticed something was on her face. The pain wasn't as bad and for that, she was grateful. She brought her right hand to her face and tried to pull off the oxygen mask that was covering her mouth and nose. Someone moved quickly and gently took her hand from her face.

" Leave it on, Babe, okay? You're not breathing well without it." She heard Norman say. He swept his hand over her hair again. " Are you okay? Are you in pain?" Paige swallowed hard but managed to open her eyes. The light was bright and she had to shut them again. " Hang on." He said a second before his touch left her. Through her eyelids she saw the light was dimmed. When she opened them again she saw the only light there was was coming from the TV. " Better?" He asked when he sat down and took her hand again.

" Where is Leo?" She whispered.

" He's sleep next to you on the little couch." Norman said. Paige nodded and closed her eyes.

" What happen?" She asked.

" You had to have surgery, twice. Mike nicked your lung with the knife but thankfully missed your heart. He stabbed you in the side too. You had to have surgery to repair the damage but they had to open you again a few hours later when you started to bleed internally. Every time your pain meds wear off your heart rate and blood pressure shoot up, like dangerously high. I'm supposed to call Morgan and everyone when you wake up but it's ten at night." She slowly opened her eyes again to look at him but her lids were heavy.

" Where's Mike? Did they catch him?" She asked.

" He's not going to bother you again, okay? Don't worry about him." Norman said as he rubbed her arm and hand. She closed her eyes and nodded. When she didn't say anything else, he brought her hand to his mouth and kissed it. " You have been out for two days. I'm so glad to hear your voice. We were getting worried." He admitted quietly.

" I'm still tired." She whispered. He leaned forward and let his hand come to rest against the top of her head. His other hand went to her face were he started to stroke her cheek.

" Go back to sleep. Leo and I have been sleeping in shifts so you're not going to be alone." She thought she nodded but she couldn't be sure. She heard him move a second before he pressed his mouth to her forehead while he continued to let his finger tips glide up and down her cheek. " Go to sleep, okay. I'll be here when you walk up again, Baby." He whispered.

XXXXXX

The third time she woke up, there was the sounds of hushed voices all around her. She opened her eyes and saw Leo was on her right, Norman was on her left still and the agents spread throughout her room. No one was looking at her. They were talking quietly together. She closed her eyes and squeezed both the hands that were holding hers.

" Paigey?" Leo asked.

" I'm awake." She said, opening her eyes again.

" Welcome back, BabyGirl." Morgan as he came to her right side so he was standing behind Leo. He reached down and started to lightly rub her leg through the blankets.

" Why do I feel so weird?" She asked. Norman started to rub her left hand again.

" You're pretty hopped up on pain meds." Reid said as he came forward to stand at the end of her bed. "If you want, I can request they lower the dose but you shouldn't come off it completely yet, okay?" Paige closed her eyes and took a deep breath.

" Thanks, Reid." She said, closing her eyes. " I'm so tired but I don't want to sleep anymore."

" You just got a dose about an hour ago so that's why you are feeling the effects so strong right now." Reid explained. " Let me call the nurse in."