Status: On Hiatus

Wild at Heart

One of your secrets

As they started having dinner, Zacky realized that he really didn’t know that much about June, all those years apart had turned her into almost a stranger to him. The once untamed girl worked now in Austin as a chef for a big restaurant and, by the way the guys praised her food, she was a very good one. She talked with enthusiasm, like she always used to, making everyone feel comfortable around her and bringing Zacky back to the years when he used to spend most of the afternoons at that house.
Back then, the kitchen was darker and used to smell like butter and honey from the sourdough biscuits June’s mother made. June didn’t like them as much as he did, but they always fought over them and it always ended up the same way; her running away from him with as many biscuits as she could carry.

The sun had set down for a while now and outside the crickets chirped like their lives depended on it.
“Where are we going?” Zacky asked as soon as they all left the house. June was already by the gate. With one single movement she opened the big gates and headed towards her pickup truck. “You’ll see when we get there.” She turned to face him and then entered her car, making it roar shortly after.

The outside was just like he remembered. Even the red neon sign that said “Cherry Bomb” still flashed once in a while like it used to ten years ago.
June swayed between costumers, her long black hair almost hitting a woman’s face as she heard someone shouting her name.
“Tess!” She screamed back, instinctively pulling Zacky by his arm. “Come on!” June yelled back at them, just as she reached the bar counter.
The girl behind the bar with light brown hair up in a high ponytail greeted June and her eyes swung to meet Zacky’s. “No way!” She looked at him with his mouth wide open. “Zack, look at you!” She was in complete shock. “You look hot!”
“Hi Tess.” He tried not to laugh at her remark. Theresa - or Tess, as everybody was used to call her – was the same age as Zacky and a big friend of June’s. In fact, she and Zacky shared the same class at school during the last two years he had lived there.
“And who are the hotties?” She asked after sliding a beer to one of the costumers.
“They’re Zacky’s friends.” June spoke before he could. “They’re the band.” June emphasized the last two words.
“Oh…” Tess mumbled after greeting them. “So you’re the reason why he never came back to Wimberley…” She said in an accusing tone.
“Hey” Brian raised his hands up in defense. “We didn’t even know he used to live here.”
“You didn’t?” Tess raised her left eyebrow. “Why didn’t…” She started, but June quickly cut her off. “Let’s go find a table!” She yelled. “Will you join us?” June asked to a still perplexed Tess. “Sure…I’ll meet you guys in a minute.”

Before Tess was in charge of the bar her parents used to run that place and, before that, her grandparents. Open since 1977, the shabby appearance on the outside was enough to scare away most of the tourists, making it the place of election for the inhabitants.
The inside was clean, with timbered walls that made it comfortable and a big bar displaying all sorts of drinks. A small stage gave the opportunity for several unknown bands to play there almost every night.
June led them to a table, waving at couple that was also arriving and then at two guys who were talking near the stage. She liked being there; she was so comfortable around those familiar faces that somehow managed to forget that she was also with Zacky, the man who she once trusted to the point of handing him over her heart and asking him not to break it when, deep down, she knew he would.

“I’m all yours for now.” Tess smiled as she sat next to June. Little by little, the bar was getting less crowded and Tess could now afford to spend some time with them. “Zachary Baker…” She narrowed her eyes towards him. Zacky swallowed hard, Tess could be really intimidating when she wanted to. “Why didn’t they know you were from Wimberley? Are you ashamed of us?!” She was now screaming more than questioning. Tess had a bit of a temper and as a proud Texan she was, she wouldn’t let him off that easily.
“Hey! Did you know she’s engaged?” June suddenly asked, making an effort to divert her attention by grabbing her hand and exposing the engagement ring. She didn’t want Tess to find out Zacky hadn’t told anyone that he had cousin. That would really piss her off. Zacky made an effort to smile as much as he could, of course he didn’t know that she was engaged and now, judging by Tess’ look on her face, June wished she hadn’t tell him neither. Both knew she used to have a crush on Zacky and, although Zacky never really liked her in that way, it was still a sensitive subject for Theresa.

Rain clouds were starting to form in the sky. The smell of morning dew filled up the air as he walked at a fast, but steady pace. He couldn’t miss the bus again or his mother would kill him.
“Hey Zacky!” She heard a female voice behind him. ”Zack!” He stopped and turned around at the second time. “Why are you in such a hurry?” The girl with light brown hair asked as she pulled him by his hooded jacket, trying to catch his pace.
“I can’t miss the bus again Tess.” He ignored her attempt to slow him down. “My mother found out I skipped school on Monday.” He exhaled deeply, water vapor coming out of his mouth. “If I miss the bus I’ll skip the first period of classes, and if skip any more classes I’ll get grounded.” He looked towards the road, just as the bus appeared on the horizon. “That means no more baseball.” His eyes didn’t leave the bus, until it stopped right in front of him. Tess rolled her eyes, only baseball could make him not want to skip school.
“Are you coming or not?” The bus driver protested. Zacky looked to the other side of the street, his eyes carefully following the girl that was running towards them.
“Come on June!” Tess waved at her hysterically. “You’re going to miss the bus!”

June sat next to Tess still panting and trying to fix her ponytail. Zacky took the seat behind them and observed her. He hated taking the bus to school. He already had a driver’s license, but their parents didn’t let him use their car to go to school every morning. However today he wasn’t upset at all. June was younger than he and Tess, she was two grades below them and she would usually take another bus to school since they had different school schedules. But not on Wednesdays. Every Wednesday he would gladly take the bus, because he knew he would see her, cheerfully talking to Tess, ignoring him while he looked intently at her.
The bus ride to school was short. He watched June saying goodbye to Tess and then walking away from them without even looking at him. She was good, very good at ignoring him, but at least things weren’t as bad as they used to be. A year ago, she might have tried to kill him just because of the way he looked at her.

“So…I was thinking.” Tess started while they walked towards their classroom. “Since this is the last week before Easter vacation…” He stopped and looked at her. Tess was trying hard not to blush. “Maybe we could go out this Friday, or during the weekend, you know, just the two of us.”
“As in a date?” He quickly asked. She nodded shyly. “I’m sorry, but I can’t.”
Theresa’s expression changed in a heartbeat. “Why can’t you?”
“Because I already got a date.” He lied without even thinking twice. He didn’t like Tess the way she liked him. To be honest, she could be quite a pain in the neck sometimes. He didn’t know how she and June were such good friends.
“Do I know her?” She asked, not making an effort to hide her jealousy.
“No.” He said coldly. She narrowed her eyes, still trying to figure out what to say.
“She’s…from another grade.” He continued, his mind instinctively thinking of June.
“Are you sure I don’t know her? She might…” “I’m sure you don’t.” Zacky cut her off, walking away from her as everybody started to enter their classrooms.


“Hey Zacky!” Matt made him snap out of his thoughts. “We’re talking to you!”
“What’s wrong with you? You’ve been acting strange since we got here.” Johnny stated.
Zacky looked around, seeing them all staring back at him. “What?”
“Do you want anything to drink?” Tess asked liked if she had asked that for the 100th time. “Huh… I’ll have a beer.”
Tess got up and winked at June. “The same as usual?” She asked June and she nodded. “My little whiskey girl…”Tess patted her shoulder.