Status: On Hiatus

Wild at Heart

Memories

Tension was palpable inside June’s bedroom. For a moment she stood beside her bed, her back facing the door from where Zacky looked at her, his hand still holding the door knob. Zacky closed the door, the single click causing her to sustain her breath.


“Good morning sweetheart! Happy birthday!” June’s mother held her tight once she heard her walk down the stairs.

“Thanks mom,” She smiled widely. “Where’s dad?”

“Oh you know…he’s outside like every morning.” Her mother gave her a kiss on her cheek. “So tell me, do you have any plans for today? It’s not every day you turn sixteen.”

June sat at the table and shrugged at her mom. She was turning sixteen; the sweet sixteen and she didn’t know what was so great about that, it was just another year. Yes, she could finally get her driver’s license and she could now legally have sex, though she was sure a lot of people didn’t care about that.

“Hey kiddo!” Her father opened the screen door and entered the kitchen. “How’s the birthday girl doing today?” He sat in front of her after kissing her forehead.

“Just as any other day dad,” She answered while still chewing the food. “It’s just another year.”

She kept on having her breakfast and silence quickly settled on the kitchen. June’s parents kept on staring at her, her father’s eyes not losing a movement she did and the faintest hint of a smile showing in his lips.

“What?” She realized they were still looking at her after a while.

“Have you finished having breakfast?” Her father asked, his smile widening.

She simply nodded and he got up, gesturing her to follow him and her mother following them closer behind.
June’s eyes opened wide and so did her mouth as, from the back porch, she stared at a 1969 Ford Cobra. Sure it looked old and worn out, the old red paint peeling in some places, but it was still the most beautiful car she had ever laid her eyes on.

“Your father picked it up this morning.” Her mother looked at June with the big blue eyes that both shared.

“That’s for me?!” June yelled. She jumped to her parents arms.

“It’s all yours, but it’s going to need a lot of fixing up.” Her father smiled at her and then looked back at the car. “But that’s the fun part right?”


“I just wanted to give you something…” June watched Zacky’s hands searching for something inside his pockets. “…before I forget.” He revealed the necklace he was holding; showing the oval locket pendant and June recognized it immediately.

“Where did you find it? That was my mom’s… I thought she had lost it…” June stumbled on her words.

“My mother found it about a year ago, between some of the jewelry she hadn’t used for years. It belongs to you now…” Zacky held her hand and laid the white gold necklace on its palm. “You can consider it you birthday present.”

She smiled weakly at him and opened the locket, revealing on one side a photo of her when she was still a child and on the other side a photo of her father. “Zacky… my birthday was two weeks ago.”

“I know…” Zacky’s chest rose down as he exhaled, letting out a deep sigh. “I’m sorry.”


The evening was hot and humid and the crickets chirped slowly and languidly, while June stood on the front porch. Her light yellow dress enhanced her golden tan, as it danced in the soft warm breeze and her bright blue eyes scanned the dim lighted area in front of her.
She leaned towards on the handrail, the smile on her face only disappearing when it was covered by the black strands of hair that the wind misplaced. She waited impatiently, while a fluttery feeling dominated her stomach, a feeling that she had never felt before and that sent a rush of adrenaline through her body.

“Happy birthday…my love.” The hot breath hit her ear and she gasped as goose bumps were formed on the back of her neck.

She turned around as a pair of hands reached for her waist and, looking up at his bright green eyes, the boy who once was as tall as she, stood now almost three inches taller than her.
“How…” She looked at the road and then back at him. “How did you…where are my parents? Do they know you’re here?” She quickly pushed his hands off her waist.

“Relax…They’re inside the kitchen,” His right hand brushed off a strand of hair that covered her face. “And they know I’m here, I’ve already talked to them.” His hand held her cheek. “Can I have my kiss now?” He slightly tilted his head, letting a slow grin appear.

“Are you crazy?!” She hissed and her voice cracked, unintentionally speaking louder. “We can’t do that Zack,” She glanced at the front door that remained opened. “Not here.”

Zacky watched June’s bare feet enter the house and, after a short chat with her parents she appeared at the front porch wearing a pair of sandals and closing the door behind her.

“Let’s go.” Her fingers moved smoothly against his. “Where’s your…” The interruption was caused by a sudden kiss, Zacky’s arm holding her tight while his left hand held her chin, making sure she wouldn’t budge.
He broke the kiss a few moments later, leaving her both enraged and breathless. Her eyes glared at him and her lips were pressed into a thin line, a vision that would have frightened him in the past, but not now.

“I had to do it.” He shrugged casually, and walked down the porch.

*One month later*

“Hey mom!” June rushed inside the kitchen, only to find her at the phone with someone.

Her mother waved at her and kept on talking. “Tomorrow? Already?” Her mother sounded both surprised and sad. “We thought you were leaving next week.” June listened to the whole conversation from the kitchen table. A long silence was followed by a deep sigh. “I understand. We’ll be there tomorrow then.”

“What’s wrong?” June asked even before her mother could put the phone down.

“Mary just told me that they’re moving out tomorrow.” She answered with a sigh.

June almost dropped the glass of water she was holding. “What?”

“I know… We all knew they were only supposed to leave next week, but James has to leave for California earlier because of his promotion.”

June stared at her mom for a while. “California?” Her voice trembled, as if she wasn’t sure that that was what she had heard.

“Of course honey, Zacky already told you that.” Her mother sounded like if she was saying the most accurate thing in the world.

June stood motionless in the kitchen, while her mother disappeared into the living room. She felt like she was living an outer body experience, like if everything she was feeling wasn’t real and was just a dream.
She climbed the stairs but stopped at the door of her bedroom, staring at it. That wasn’t a dream, or even a nightmare; Zacky was really moving to California and he hadn’t told her a single word about it.
She opened the bedroom door and fell against the door, making it close abruptly. June didn’t know what to think, or what to do, or what to say. Her head felt like a storm of emotions, so she cried and then she yelled, and then cried even more after breaking her nightstand lamp and, finally, she decided that she would never talk to him again.


“I’m sorry for missing your birthday, June… and for missing your other nine birthdays as well.”

June tried to smile. “Well… I missed yours too, so we’re even.”

“But it was my fault.” Zacky’s voice was now stronger. “Just as it was my fault I’ve missed your parent’s funeral. I was the one who walked away without saying anything.”

June looked down and placed a strand of hair behind her ear. “I never understood why you did that…”

“Neither did I…” He smoothed his hair. “I guess I was trying to find the right way and time to tell you, but it never came. I didn’t want to hurt you by telling you I was leaving.”

June took one step towards him. “Nevertheless, you should have told me. I would have suffered, yes, but I would have understood. What you did made me suffer and hate you for a very long time.”

“I know that.” This time was Zacky who took a step towards her. “And I really want to make things right between us.” He held one of her hands. “I’ve been away from you for far too long.”

June smiled and pressed her head tightly against his chest, feeling his arms wrapping her firmly. “Apologies accepted. I was starting to get tired of being mad at you anyway.” Both laughed silently. “It’s all part of the past now.”

“Zacky?” June broke the silence after a few seconds.

“Yes?”

“I missed you.” She looked up at him and smiled.

“I missed you too.” And with that he lowered his face to meet hers, his hands sliding behind her head, his lips becoming closer to hers, capturing her mouth with his.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hey everybody! I am really, really, really sorry for not posting over the last two months, but my vacations have been anything but calm. I’ve been out of my country twice in the last month and then, between visiting my grandparents and other relatives, I didn’t feel like writing when I had the time. So, once again, I’m sorry for the delay :)