‹ Prequel: Oh Captain, My Captain

Captain of My Life

Captain of My Life 001:

Chapter One
"So you're married?"

"Yes, we've been happily married for a year now," I smiled and felt Sidney lace his finger's with mine.

"There's a rumor going around that you're retiring at the end of this year."

I smiled and nodded my head, "My contract is over at the end of this year, and I'm not going to renew it, so yes, I'm going to retire."

"You've been with the Penguins for five years, what are you going to do?"

"We're thinking about children," I smiled and patted Sidney's knee, "We've talked about it a lot, and I wanted to play as long as I could, my contract was from 2012 to 2017, it's 2017, I think I'm going to settle down now."

"How does it fell? To have been a part of this organization?"

"It felt wonderful, I was honored to be allowed the chance to show my skills to the NHL community," I smiled and laughed a little.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The TV paused and my face was stuck on the laugh.

"So that interview was two years ago?" Ellen asked and I smiled and nodded my head, "First off, it's great to have you back on the show, it's been a while. And this is your third time on the show?"

"Yes, it has," I laughed and looked at the audience, "You look great."

"Thank you, so do you," Ellen smiled, "Mother of three?"

"Yes, two crazy oxygen high kids," I laughed, "And then one on the way," I said as I placed my hand on my stomach."

"I'm sure you and Sidney are so happy."

"We are," I smiled and heard the audience clap.

"So in 2014, you won the Stanley Cup, correct?"

"Yes, big honor, my second win," I smiled.

"Sidney proposed after the win, in front of everyone, including fans," she said and I laughed and nodded my head, feeling my eyes water with happiness remembering that day, "If you don't remember, this is the proposal from the 2014 Stanley Cup Championship."

Ellen played the clip and laughed, wiping my eyes from the happy memories.

"Well, just to catch up on the last time I saw you, in 2015 you won the Hart Trophy, how did Sidney feel about that, because he was close behind you?" Ellen jabbed and I laughed.

"Um, he was happy for me, everyone was," I smiled, "Sometimes I think he let me win, but I guess I'll never know, because he sure won't tell me."

"I'm sure he was happy for you, but then a week later you walked down the aisle," she smiled and I nodded my head, "Was it a large wedding?"

"You were there," I smiled and she nodded her head.

"Yes, but I wanted you to-"

"It was large, we have a lot of friends and family. Sidney and I tried to keep it private, but, that wasn't going to happen," I laughed.

"You honeymooned in-"

"Europe," I answered and then groaned, "Oh it was amazing, I would love to go back one day. We went all over Europe!"

"In 2016 you and Sidney started a charity known as the Wonder Woman Foundation, can you tell us what that is?"

"My goddaughter was diagnosed with a rare disease that isn't even named yet because event after a year, scientists are still trying to discover what this disease is. But, from what we found out from my goddaughter, Addison, is that it's heartbreaking. It eats you from the inside out, very painful, very terrifying. Three other children have been diagnosed with the No name Disease and are fighting for their lives. The Wonder Woman Foundation is there to help the scientists discover a way to help them find a cure, because these children do not deserve to go through this."

"And how is Addison doing?" Ellen asked as a picture of Addison and I appeared on the boards.

"We were thankful to have found a temporary cure, if you want to call it that, but Addison is nine, and she's doing just fine, she has to take a needle of the cure every other day, but she's doing just fine, and the other children are doing just fine," I said and then a picture of me standing with Addison and the other three children appeared on the screen.

"Well that's wonderful to here, and I happy that there's someone else out there who cares about the children," Ellen said and I smiled and nodded my head, "And how are your children doing?"

I laughed and shook my head, "They take after their father, or at least my daughter does," I smiled, "Alicia is three and she's getting interested in hockey. Sidney already started taking her to the rink and teaching her to skate."

"And your son?"

"Andrew is two and he's a little shy around others, but when it's just him and his sister, they like to reach havoc on the house," I laughed along with the audience.

"And do you know what you're having yet?" Ellen asked and I smiled and shook my head.

"We do not, we have an appointment next week, I believe," I smiled and Ellen rubbed my stomach, "We'll find out then."

"What would you like?" she asked and I laughed and scratched my head.

"It doesn't matter to us, we'll be happy either way," I smiled.

"And how are your dog's doing, I remember that you had two of them," she said and I nodded my head.

"Good memory," I cheered and she laughed, "Sarabi and Zeus are still kickin’, Zeus gave us a scare a few months ago and ran away, he was gone for a few hours."

"Was he all right?"

"Oh yeah, he came back," I laughed, "And just to piss him off, Sidney took him for a walk."

Everyone laughed and Ellen shook her head, "You're too funny. I heard that you have a video of the last Christmas with your family?"

"Oh, yeah, I forgot about that!" I laughed and Ellen smiled, "Ok, ok, ok, so Alicia wanted a cat for Christmas, but I told her we couldn't get one because we have two dogs, and they would literally tear the cat apart. So my friend Melanie, Alicia's godmother, asked Alicia what she wanted for Christmas, Alicia told Mel that she wanted a cat. I didn't think that Mel would actually get her a cat, so I didn't tell Mel not to," I laughed and rubbed my face.

“And?”

"Big mistake there! So it's Christmas Eve, we came back from church and while we were gone, Mel had dropped off her present. I did a quick peak in the living room and saw that it was in there and didn't think anything of it, because I didn’t think that she really got a cat, so we all went to bed."

"What happened?" Ellen laughed, wondering where this was going.

"So it’s early Christmas morning, maybe one or two, Sidney and I are in bed, and we hear the dogs going nuts downstairs. Alicia and Andrew run into the room and are screaming that Sarabi and Zeus are trying to kill Santa!" I laughed and then shook my head, "Sidney thought it was a burglar-"

"What fool would break into a hockey player's home?"

"Who knows," I laughed and shook my head, “But what’s the first thing my husband grabs?” I shook my head, “A hockey stick, personally I would have went with a metal bat, but hey, what floats your boat,” I threw my hands in the air, “Sidney Crosby everyone,” I laughed and then took a drink of my water, “So I tell the kids to get under my bed and to stay quiet and Sidney and I are walking downstairs. Zeus storms past the stairs and I grab my phone out and presto,” I said and they hit play on the video, “There is bleeping, so no one has to cover their ears,” I added and Ellen smirked.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“What are they chasing?” I asked, gripped onto Sidney’s shirt.

“I don’t know, there’s Sarabi,” Sidney said and saw Sarabi barking at the window and looking up.

I flipped the light on and gasped at the mess, curtains were down, the Christmas tree was knocked over, glass was broken, “What the *bleep*?!”

“God *bleep* Mel! She got Alicia a *bleep* cat!” Sidney yelled and I gasped.

“Where is it? How do you know?”

“It’s right *bleep* there!” Sidney yelled, pointing towards the tree. He took a step forward and Zeus shot out of nowhere and dove at the tree, “ZEUS! *Bleep* dog!”

“ZEUS KILLED SANTA!!!” you heard Alicia yelled and I turned towards her and saw that she and Andrew were crying.

“Guys, no, no, no, Santa’s not dead, Auntie Mel-“

“KITTY!!! Santa brought me a kitty!” she yelled and ran for the cat and you saw Sidney holding back Zeus and Sarabi.

“Thanks a lot Mel,” Sidney muttered and I sighed.

“I’ll be sure to call her later.”

“Call her now, it’ll really *bleep* her off to wake her up now,” Sidney smirked and I sighed, “Merry freakin’ Christmas.”

I walked all around the first floor of the home and saw all of the destruction and just kept saying ‘oh my god’.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Everyone was bursting into laughter and I was shaking my head, “Yeah we’re laughing about it now, it wasn’t funny then!”

“No, I don’t suppose it would be,” she said and I smirked, “So what do you do now that you don't play hockey anymore?"

"I watch and take care of the kids, it's hard and I definitely have to get use to sitting in the suite box during the game instead of being on the ice."

"Well during your nine years in the NHL you managed to score six hundred goals, four hundred and seventy nine assists, and a lot of points," Ellen smiled and I nodded my head, enjoying all of those numbers, "I don't know a lot about hockey, but to all of those hockey fans- Do we have any hockey fans- Oh, yes we do!"

I looked out into the audience when I heard cheering. Ellen and I stood up and walked into the audience and up the stairs. One of her technical guys handed her a microphone and we looked around the audience. I smiled when I saw a family wearing a Kings uniform, but my name and number was on the back.

"I haven't seen one of these in a long time," I smiled and saw that they had a little girl with them, "Hi there."

"Hello sir," Ellen said and then placed the microphone in his face, "You seem to be a fan of hockey," she said and we laughed, "Would you say that Alex's stats are good?"

"Very good and very impressive."

"Thank you," I said and then smiled towards the little girl and looked at Ellen, "Do you have a sharpie?"

Ellen nudged her head behind me and I turned around to see that an assistant was running up with a marker. I smiled towards him and then bent down and had the little girl turn around so that I could sign her jersey. She smiled brightly and then hugged me and I smiled up towards Ellen.

"Well it was a pleasure having you on the show again, and best of luck to the Penguins in this season, they won the Stanley last year, correct?" Ellen said as we sat in the chairs again.

"Yeah, in my time in the NHL I hold three Stanley Cup rings, two with the Penguins and one with the Kings, and I was happy to win the cup in my last year in the NHL," I smiled and she nodded her head and patted my knee.

"Good for you, thank you for coming."

"Thank you for having me," I smiled and then hugged her.