In Their Eyes

Chapter 11

I woke up at eight the next morning, though I had gotten to sleep at five so I was still exhausted. I limped my way to the bathroom, still sore from last night, and was glad it was a Saturday. I turned the water on as hot as it could get and stepped inside, scalding my skin. My skin was lobster red as I tried to get the feeling of Todd off. I scrubbed my arms until they were raw, but nothing seemed to get him off my skin. I gently stepped out when the water got cold, and wrapped myself tightly in a towel.

When I walked into my room I saw a person sitting on my bed and almost screamed, before I noticed it was Aisling. I clutched my chest with my hand, feeling my heart race beneath the surface.

"You scared the living shit out of me Aisling." She laughed-god how I missed the sound of her laughter. I noticed the smile on her face. "What's got you so excited?" I asked, as I looked for clothes to put on.

"Jake took me home last night, and he," she took a breath, and I could just imagining her blushing, "he kissed me good night."

I stopped searching through clothes and looked at her under my arm. "Really?" She nodded while blushing. "Wow, that's great Aisling! Go for him, and don't worry I won't tell mom."

I had just pulled on a pair of jeans when Aisling asked me a question I was dreading to hear. "What happened after you and Todd left? You weren't home when I got here last night."

I composed myself and gave her a smile. "He took me out for coffee and then we walked along the boardwalk. He surprised me last night-it was great."

"He was acting very nice last night. Do think he wants something or is just turning into a good person?"

'He already got what he wanted,' I thought. I smiled again, "I would like to hope he's turning into a better person." I pulled on a shirt before continuing "At least he's being nice, let's just hope it lasts for a little while." I hated lying to her, but could I even face the truth? I couldn't let her think I was that venerable and weak. She would treat me like a wounded animal, or a broken toy that needed to be fixing.

I gave a mental sigh before turning to my sister. "Hey, Ais, do you wanna hangout today? We could sit around watching old movies like we used to."

She smiled widely at me. "Yeah that would be fun."

***

Monday came faster than I thought. I was nervous to see Todd after what has happened, but I couldn't let Aisling or anyone else think that something was wrong. I stepped out of the car and pulled my cheerleading skirt down from where it had ridden up.

"Hey Ginger. How are you?"

I looked up into Donavon's eyes. There was no way I could get close to him now-nobody wanted broken toys. "What do you want Jackson?" I asked in the bitchiest voice I could muster.

Both him and Aisling gave me funny looks. "What your problem?" He looked hurt and it pained me to even look at him.

"Her problem is you, Donavon." Todd stepped in between us. Looking down at me he asked, "He's not giving you any problems is he?"

"Not any that I can't handle." 'Okay, breath, just breath. you can't let them know something's up. I grabbed his hand, "let's get to class." I turned back to Aisling. "Hey I'll see you at practice okay."

***

The day went by uneventful, that is until practice anyways. As soon as I got there Aisling jumped me.

"What was your problem this morning Ginger?"

I cocked my eyebrow at her while I started stretching. "What do you mean?"

"Why'd you act like an ass to Donavon?"

"Well Aisling, unlike you I have a boyfriend, and I don't plan on going around kissing guys I'm not dating." She cringed when I said that. "For another thing I have a responsibility to not get you killed. What do you think would happen if mom found out I was being nice to Donavon? She get even more violent to the two of us. Don't you think my smart ass mouth had gotten you hurt enough in the last few days? Because I do!"

Aisling stared at me for a minute and then walked away and started talking to another girl on the squad. She didn't talk to me during the rest of practice nor on the way home.
♠ ♠ ♠
I am so very, very, very, very sorry many times over for the long wait. I've been loaded down with exams and SOL's. Plus last minute tests and quizzes. :( I hope y'all can forgive me. And I am deeply apologetic to my lovely and patient co-author/partner.
~Sammi