Hurricane Jenny

013:

Chapter Thirteen
"Lockout's over!" Eric yelled into his phone happily and I could hear Jordan cheering in the background.

I smiled brightly as I had to pull the phone away from my ear so that Eric didn't blow my ear drum. I looked at my teammates and saw that they were laughing at my brother's craziness.

"Good for you guys, I'm happy for you! When did you find out?" I asked as I looked at my watch to see that it was nine in the morning, my teammates and I were getting ready for early morning practice.

"About five in the morning," Eric said and shook my head, "Early, but SO worth hearing."

"How's Jordan?" I laughed.

"Can't you hear 'em?" Eric laughed.

"Yeah, I hear 'em," I laughed and then felt Jared lean against me so that he could hear the conversation, "Well Eric, I love ya, but I have practice, so tootles."

"All right, bye Jen," Eric laughed and then hung up the phone.

I threw my phone into my bag and then finished getting my gear on. Once I finished up lacing up my skates, left the locker room and then walked out towards the ice where some of my teammates were already skating around stretching.

When everyone was on the ice, Coach came out and leaned against the wall along with another man, they watched as I skated to the net and got myself ready for all of the pucks to be shot at me. Before the first teammate came, I looked over towards the men to see that they were looking at me and then talking, and then looking at me again.

"Whatever," I muttered and then crouched down low and brought my knees together, "Let's go!"

-Eric-
"All right, bye Jen," I said and then hung up the phone and threw it onto the kitchen counter.

"Squirt?!" Jordan asked as he finally stopped jumping around.

"You were busy!"

"Call her back!" Jordan said and I laughed and shook my head.

"She's at practice now," I said and he groaned, "Besides, we need to head to the rink, Coach is gunna want to get practice started, our first game is in two weeks."

"Guess we better get started, Captain," Jordan said and I smirked and nodded my head.

-Jordan-
"Hope he's all right," I muttered as I watched as Cam Ward was helped off of the ice and Justin Peters skated into the net in his place.

It's been over a month since the lockout had ended and Jared and I sat in our living room watching the Hurricanes vs. Flyers game on our TV. We had a game this afternoon and then rushed home to watch Hurricanes game, missing the first few minutes of the game.

This was their seventh game in this shortened season. They've won three games and then lost three games, not doing as well as they would like. They lost against the Flyers with the final score being three to five. Now they were three and four.

"That sucks," Jared said as he sighed and leaned back on the couch, "They lost their best goalie."

"They have two more."

"I don't understand why they have three," Jared said and I shrugged my shoulders.

"They'll be fine," I said and then sighed and changed the channel to see that the NHL channel was doing a recap of the Devils vs. Penguins game that was that after noon, "Pens won."

"Did your boy play?"

"No, he hasn't been brought up yet," I sighed.

"When was the last time you talked to him?"

"He called me yesterday, but with our schedules, it's hard," I sighed and then stood up and looked at the clock to see that it was after ten at night, "I'm going to bed."

"All right, night."

"Night bro," I said and then patted his shoulder and walked out of the living room, heading down the hallway and into my room, hearing Candy's pitter patter behind me.

-Jared-
"Wait what?" I asked as my teammates and I stared at our coach.

"I said, congratulations Jen, you're being brought up," Coach said and everyone looked at Jen, "With Ward out, and then Peters now injured, we need to send up one of ours, I believe that Jen will be the one."

"Wow," she breathed and I looked at my sister, "Thank you."

It was the end of February, we just finished a game against the Chicago Wolves, everyone was cheering and asking where we were going to celebrate our win, we showered and dressed and just as we wanted to leave, Coach came into the room and said that he wanted to have a word.

The Hurricanes were in New York and had a game against the Islanders, their game had begun around the same time as ours, we weren't able to know who won until after our game. Apparently Justin Peters had gotten hurt during the game, the goalie that had replaced Cam Ward because he was hurt. Now with two goaltenders out, they only had veteran Dan Ellis, they needed another goalie, this is where Jen came into play.

"Go get packed and head to Raleigh, you need to be there for tomorrow morning," he said and she nodded her head.

Jen was in shock most of the time, and when the media questioned her, she had to apologize because she was just so happy she didn't know what to say.

'...That means that everyone except me will be in the NHL...' I thought as I rubbed my face and walked to my car with Jen

"Jared," Jen said as she got into the passenger seat of my car, "I know it's only temporary," she said and then sighed, "but-"

"It's fine Jen," I muttered as I pulled out of my parking spot and headed home, "I'm happy for you. You're getting your big break."

"Jared," she looked at me and I patted her hand.

I was happy for my sister, I really was, but I was a little irritated too because I wanted to be finally brought up. I left for Providence because I thought I could be brought up to the Boston Bruins, but that didn't happen.

We got home and Jen went into her room to start packing, and she called mom up, telling her what was going to happen and asking if she could stay with her and dad.

About two hours later, Jen had finally stopped running around the room and I looked to see that it was just after midnight. She walked into the living room and placed her suitcase by the door, "Are you leaving now?"

"Yeah, Coach says that I need to be there for nine. I'll head to mom and dad's and get there around three," she said and I nodded my head.

"You'll be presented your Hurricanes jersey," I said and tried to pull off a happy smile.

"I'm sorry Jared, I wish you were coming with me," she said as she walked over towards me.

"It's fine," I said she shook her head.

"You deserve to be brought up too," she said and I wrapped my arms around her neck and held her close.

"Make us proud Jen," I said and she nodded her head, "You taking the fur ball with you?"

"Yeah," she said and I nodded my head, "Love you."

"Love you too," I said and then grabbed her bag and we walked outside and over towards her new Jeep Wrangler. I placed her bags into the back of the car and walked over towards the driver's side, "You drive safely, call me when you get there."

"I will," she said and then placed her dog in the car and then turned back around to wrap her arms around my neck, "Love you Jared."

"I love you too."

"I'll be back before you know it," she said and I nodded my head and put my hand on the door, closing it for her when she hopped into her seat.

"Good luck!"

"Thanks."

"Remember to kick ass!"

"Of course!" Jen laughed and then turned on her jeep, "Bye bro."

"See ya sis," and that was it, Jen pulled out of the driveway and then headed off down the street, "Good luck."