Hurricane Jenny

014:

Chapter Fourteen
-Jennifer-
"We're here to represent the number thirteen to Jennifer Staal, who has agreed to become an official Carolina Hurricane," Hurricanes owner, Peter Karmanos announced into the microphone as he stood at the podium and spoke to the media.

I stood against the wall next to the General Manager, Jim Rutherford and Head Coach, Kirk Muller; wearing black dress pants and a white blouse. Peter was handed a jersey and he then walked over towards me and handed me my jersey. I smiled and shook his hand and then placed the red and white jersey over my head, wearing it proudly. The four of us squished together and a hat was handed to me, I was happy that I had decided to wear my hair in a single thick braid today. The blond braid hung along the side of my face, and I placed the hat on my head and smiled brightly for the press.

"Welcome to the team," Kirk Muller said.

"Thank you, I'm very excited to be here," I said and then shook hands with the three men.

After the press conference was over and I everything had died down, I was allowed the opportunity to meet my new team, some of them I already knew.

"Look at you! Squirt you did it!" Jordan yelled happily and wrapped his arms around me, happy to see me wearing my own jersey.

"Congrats Jen," Eric said and then hugged my too.

"Look at that, right in a row," #19, Jiri Tlusty said referring to the fact that Jordan was #11, Eric was #12 and I was #13.

"When did you guys get back from New York?"

"About an hour ago, we just found out when we landed that you were being brought up," Eric answered and I nodded my head, "Where are you staying?"

"Mom and dad's," I answered and then took my jersey off and placed it in the locker that was assigned to me.

"You can crash at my place!" Jeff Skinner teased and Jordan smacked him upside the head.

"Please, she'd crash at my place before yours!" Justin Faulk announced and I scoffed.

"Dude, we live together!" Skinner said and I laughed a little.

"Wow, good to know that the locker room feeling hasn't changed," I laughed and then felt Jordan's arm around my shoulders.

"Damn, they even look alike!" Zach Boychuk said and I snorted.

"I would hope, we all came from the same place."

"That'll be weird, all I'd picture would be Jordan or Eric," someone said and I was a little confused now.

"Picture what?"

"I called dibs!" I heard like five guys yelled and my eyes widened.

"What?!"

Eric and Jordan pushed me behind them and growled, "Don't touch my sister! Off limits!"

I laughed and shook my heads, "I'm not even on the market."

"See! She's not even on the mar- Wait what?" Jordan said and he and Eric looked at me.

"Come again?" Eric said and I laughed and patted their shoulders, "Is it that Bennett kid from Jordan's wedding?!"

"Yes sir, we went to Florida together, you the week that you and Jordan called me like a million times," I smiled and then waved bye to my team and walked out of the locker room.

To be honest, I didn't know what Beau and I were, but I felt better saying that we were together, than having to deal with my teammates drooling at me. I mean I dealt with that with the Checkers, I didn't need it here.

My first NHL game was tomorrow and it was an away game against the Capitals, I was told that I wasn't going to be in the net, and I was a little upset about that, but it was fine, I needed to get use to guys. I was excited to find out that we had a home game on Thursday against the Penguins, and Beau had called to tell me that he had been brought up because of Paul Martin's injury, so there was a good chance that I would see him.

When I got back to my mom and dad's, I packed my bag to get ready for the four to five hour bus trip that left at seven in the morning for the game that night. I was so excited to be here, I didn't even know if I was going to sleep tonight because I was so excited.

My parents, brothers and their wives all took me out to dinner to celebrate the fact that their twenty year old daughter had made it to the NHL.

The next morning I woke up around five thirty, finding myself being surprised that I had managed to fall asleep. I took a shower and then got dressed in the dress pants that I wore the day before and then wore a white silk button up shirt. I threw my black flats with bow ties on the tips on and then brushed my long blond hair, pushing it to the side and then putting it in a side braid.

"You look beautiful," I heard my mom said as she walked into the room.

"Thank you," I smiled in the mirror and watched as my mom walked to the bed and sat down, seeing Candy get up from her spot on the pillow and walk over towards her, "Thank you for letting me stay with you."
"Oh it's no problem," mom smiled as she started to pet Candy, "You know you're always welcomed."

"Thanks mom," I smiled and she then stood up and walked over towards me, grabbing my gold cross necklace that I wore to every game and helped my clip it around my neck.

"You're my beautiful daughter," she smiled and then kissed my head, "Be careful on the road."

"I will, I have Jordan and Eric with me."

"Make sure they watch you."

"Mom, I'm twenty, I'm not a little girl anymore."

"You'll always be my little girl," she smiled and I stood up and hugged her.

"If it'll make you feel better, I won't leave their side."

"Thank you," she said and then grabbed my face and kissed my cheek, "Have fun."

"I will," I said and then walked over towards Candy, kissed her head, and then grabbed my purse, "Love you mom."

"Love you, Jen!" she said and I ran out of my room and looked at my watch to see that it was six thirty.

I ran outside and to my Jeep Wrangler and pulled myself in. My phone went off and I looked to see that Eric had texted me saying that he was stopping for coffee and asked if I want some. I responded with a 'yes please' and then pulled out of the driveway, making my way to the arena.

When I got to the parking garage, the bus was already waiting outside. I pulled in and parked my car next to Jeff Skinner's and smiled towards him, seeing him in his suit as he got out of his car.

"Nice jeep," he smirked and I laughed a little.

"Thanks, she's my baby," I smiled and then locked the door.

Just as I was about to hop onto the bus, I saw Jordan pull into the garage and decided that I was going to wait for him.

"Hey squirt!" he smiled as he headed over towards the bus, tying his tie as he walked.

"You're a goof," I laughed as he stood in front of my and pulled his tie up, "Where's Eric?"

"He usually arrives five minutes before we pull out, has to stop for coffee," Jordan said and I laughed.

"Yeah, he texted me this morning asking if I wanted any."

"What? None for me?" Jordan whined trying to seem upset.

I laughed and then shook my head and then walked onto the bus, Jordan walking up behind me.

We sat in the middle of the bus and Jordan said that he was going to sit with me, but he wanted the window seat. I agreed and then stretched my legs out in the aisle. More and more players showed up, and then when Eric showed up, he had four coffee's in his cup holders.

"For you," Eric said as he sat across from me and handed me a large coffee, "Extra cream and a shot of vanilla, just the way you like it."

"You're the best," I smiled and took the coffee.

"I thought I was the best," Jordan whined and I smiled.

"You didn't bring me coffee," I laughed and looked back towards Eric, "Who are the other two for?"

Eric handed one to Jordan and then one to Alexander Semin, who sat in front of him, "For last time," Eric said and Alexander smirked and nodded his head.

"Thanks man," he laughed and then took the coffee.

"Well, that explains that," I said and then took a sip of my coffee, burning my tongue, "Ow."

"It's hot," Jordan teased.

"No shit Sherlock!" I growled towards Jordan and Eric laughed, '...This is gunna be a long trip...'