Status: Active

Heroine? Or Villain? That Is the Question.

Prologue

"Myna? Myna?" Jameson called.

"Jamie I told you, don't go around calling my name," Myna said, slipping out of the shadows to Jamie's side, making him jump. "If people know that they can find me here, I'll be dead in a month."

"Sorry Myna, I forgot," Jamie said shamefaced.

"Of course you did," Myna said. Seeing Jamie's face fall, she quickly added, "But only because you were worried because you didn't see me. Don't worry about it Jamie."

"You sure?" Jamie asked.

"Positive," Myna said smiling

"Great," Jamie's face broke into a grin. "Look what I brought today," he held out a wrapped up napkin that Myna took eagerly. "It's two corn beef sandwiches. They're really good."

Myna ate half of one of the sandwiches, then wrapped up the rest and put it away. Jamie looked at her face hopefully.

"You're right, that was really good," Myna said happily.

"I'm glad you like it," Jamie said smiling.

Myna yawned. "Take a nap Myna," Jamie said, "I can watch out for you for awhile."

"Thanks Jamie," Myna said snuggling down with her head on Jamie's chest. He wrapped his arms around her.

"Myna. My Myna," he said softly before he drifted off himself.

A few hours later, they were awoken by a woman screeching. "James!" she yelled. "What have I told you about street vermin?" she said yanking him away from Myna. "You're probably covered with fleas now! And you!" she addressed Myna, who was cowering behind a bush, harshly. "Stay away from my son! He deserves better friends than the likes of you! You worthless little mogrul!"

"But Mamma-"

"Silence!" the woman, Jamie's mother, yelled, grabbing his arm. "We're going home now."

Jamie looked back sadly at Myna as he was dragged away.

"I'm not worthless. And I don't have fleas," Myna said to herself. Then she sat down and burst into tears.

~~~~~~

It had been a month since Jamie had seen Myna. His mother hadn't let him out of her sight unless she had someone else with their eyes glued to him. He kept telling her that a twelve-year-old didn't need a babysitter, but she refused to listen. Tonight was the first night that his mother had let her guard down all month. Jamie was using this opportunity to check on Myna. He didn't care what his mother would do if she found out, he just needed to know that the seven-year-old orphan was okay. He didn't feel comfortable leaving her alone for so long. She was so small that if she got into a fight over food or shelter or something along those lines that she probably wouldn't last long.

"Myna," he called softly when he got to the place where they normally met . "Myna?"

"She's gone," a voice said from the shadows.

"What?" Jamie asked confused.

"The girl you're looking for, she's gone. She was a runt, that one. Wouldn't surprise me in the least if she was dead."

Jamie was about to give a smart remark when he remembered Myna's own words. "If people know they can find me here, I'll be dead in a month." His best friend, a little girl who depended on him, was gone, possibly dead. He couldn't stand the thought of it. He burst into tears.
♠ ♠ ♠
New story, this one's about Bane :) I've been on a Bane kick the last few days, and this story started developing in my head, so I figured I'd give it a shot.

Jamie's 12 in this chapter and Myna's 7, just to make sure we're clear on that.

Myna's an orphan and no one but Jamie cares about her in the least. She's kind of a "street rat." So when he couldn't get away from his mom to check on her, she was on her own. A seven year old on the streets left to fend for herself. I do sincerely hope she's not really dead.

10 points for anyone who can spot the Aladdin reference in the chapter. And no, it's not street rat. That one's technically in the author's note. There's another one somewhere in there. Can anyone find it?