Status: Active

Heroine? Or Villain? That Is the Question.

Impressions

"I am Talia."

Carcer kept his mouth shut, unsure of what to say to that, and still wanting to take Barsad's advice. He simply continued to look the woman in the eyes.

The woman, Talia, stood up. "Rise," he told Carcer.

He stood. He now towered a good six inches over her. She really was tiny an he couldn't see why Barsad was afraid of her. But he respected Barsad, so he kept his mouth shut.

"Are you not going to speak?" Talia asked him.

Carcer looked at Barsad who gave him a nod. "I was not planning on it, as I was told speaking without being spoken to is unwise in your presence," he replied.

Talia smiled a cruel smile. "This is true, it is very unwise. You wonder why this is true though. You see me as small and not much of a threat, and so you wonder why you should hold me in such regard. Shadow, why don't you tell him why this is a poor idea." She looked at Shadow, who obviously didn't want to speak, at least not to Carcer. "Come, come Artemis, tell him."

The look on Carcer's face turned into one of confusion. What did Talia mean by Artemis?

"I told you never to call me that," growled Shadow. "That name and its meaning are dead to me."

Talia walked closer to Shadow with a graceful step, almost as if she was gliding. She walked right up to Shadow and stood square in front of her. Despite the difference in size, it seemed as though Talia were looking down at Shadow. Any other person would have backed away from such close quarters, but Shadow refused to give up any ground.

"Then next time," Talia said in a deadly voice, "I suggest you comply with my request quickly and not dig your heals in and pretend you have a choice in the matter. Remember your place and why you are here." Talia stepped back to observe better.

Shadow's face twisted as if she were warring within herself. Carcer could see it and he was sure Talia could as well. He didn't think that this would bode well for Shadow later.

After a moment Shadow's face settled. She bowed her head. "Forgive me Talia," she stated. "I had forgotten."

"Then I suggest you remember," Talia said dismissively. "Now, back to my request."

Carcer was confused as to what Shadow had forgotten, but the power struggle between the two women was obvious, so he wouldn't press the issue.

Shadow looked to Carcer. "It is a poor idea to speak without being invited to in Talia's presence because if you say something that displeases her, she will rip you entrails from your body."

Surprise must have showed in Carcer's face, because Talia smirked and said, "You seem shocked."

Carcer nodded.

Talia continued, "But I sense you have a question as well. It's all right. You may ask," she said as if speaking to a child.

Carcer thought for a moment, wondering how best to phrase his question. "If you rip someone's entrails out if they say something you don't like when they speak without permission," he began, "What do you do when they say something you don't like and they do have permission?"

Talia burst out laughing with peals like bells. "Oh I like him," she said. "Shadow, Barsad, you didn't tell me he was this delightful." She looked to Barsad, obviously expecting an answer.

Barsad bowed his head and raised it again before answering. "I'm afraid that his wit goes unappreciated here. Either that, or he is more at ease with you here than he normally is, my lady."

Talia cocked her head slightly to the side. "Is that so Carcer? Are you more comfortable with me here?"

Carcer nodded.

"Why is that?" Talia asked.

"You do not seem as distant and cold," he said. "You seem as if you are still somewhat of a human being. I get glimpses of the same from certain people, but you are the first to seem that way for more than a few moments other than Barsad."

Carcer felt Barsad stiffen in the doorway just behind him. He afraid he had said something wrong, something that could cause his friend harm.

Talia simply laughed though. "You certainly speak your mind," she said. "Carcer, can I ask of your assistance for something?"

Carcer did not truly understand the politics in this army, but he knew that this was not really a request. So he said what he could.

"If you believe that I am the one that can best serve you, then I am happy to assist you in any way I can."

Talia smiled. "You will do well in my service," she stated. "Can I trust you to not betray me?"

Carcer answered truthfully. "If I betray you, I will die. If I somehow manage to escape death, I have no where to go. I have no family, no home, and no one who cares for me. I have come to think of this as my home and my family, distant and cold as most of them are. I will not betray you."

Carcer could tell from the silence in the room that he had startled them all, even Talia. To be honest, he had startled himself. He hadn't realized he'd felt that deeply for this place and these people until he had spoken it. Yes, deep down he knew that they were mercenaries and killers, but he didn't see that side of them, so it didn't truly click in his mind. It was one of those things that he wouldn't really understand it until he came face to face with it. So for now, they were his family, and this was his home. It was more than he'd have if he left, if he was allowed to leave.

Talia smiled. "Good," she said. "I like you Carcer. And because of that, I will ask this of you. Will you accompany me to a dinner party?"
♠ ♠ ♠
Still awful at keeping a timeline for updating. I'm sorry. I'm gonna try to get you a new chapter by tonight, or Wednesday at the latest. No promises though.

So, this is where it's gonna start to merge with the movie. I'm sorry, but I'm not one of the people that quote the movie and use it for my dialogue. I think that's really cool when people do it, but I don't have that much patience. So it's gonna be more of a getting the gist of the parts of the movie.

Enjoy this chapter ;)