Status: Leave me some love!

Never Fall For You

Sixteen

-Jason-

I don’t know why I went to that party. I definitely didn’t want to go, and the long car ride with Tyler sitting silently next to me, was horribly awkward. But I was expected to go. Everyone, especially Hunter, would have expected me to go, and it would have just been weird for me not to. Although, I guess I could have just faked being sick.

No. Tyler would have found a ride with someone else, and then I wouldn’t be able to keep him away from Kat.

So there I was. Standing awkwardly in a corner, watching from afar as Kat and Tyler rubbed all over each other to the beat of the music that was blasting. I got this overwhelming urge to go over to Tyler and kick his ass, but I held back. No need to make an unnecessary scene. And then there was the slow song. I could hardly stand it as I watched Tyler wrap Kat’s arms around his neck, then place his own hands on her small waist. Then they swayed side-to-side to the music, looking into each other’s eyes. And then, when the song was over, they disappeared into the kitchen together. I had to shove through the crowd of people to get there, and by the time I reached the kitchen, Kat was running out of it, and down the hall.

I smirked. She probably got sick, and left Tyler standing there like a dumbass.

I sighed, then headed for the fridge for a beer. Tyler made eye contact with me, rolled his eyes, then headed back towards the living room without a word. I leaned against the counter, sipping my beer as I thought about the way Kat was looking at Tyler. I closed my eyes and ran a hand through my hair. I couldn’t believe I was actually in danger of losing her to that idiot.

“Jason?”

I snapped my eyes open, and stared, wide-eyed, as Kat stared up at me. She was fidgeting. She never fidgets.

“Are you alright?” she asked, tilting her head to the side a little.

I nodded, running my hand through my hair again.

“Yeah, I’m fine” I replied, smiling slightly.

She nodded, then paused, as if she was thinking of something to say. And I was trying to figure out if now was a good time to tell her how I feel. Probably not. She’d just think I was drunk.

“Jason” she said again, and I looked up. Another pause. Then “I-”

“Aaron, wait! It’s not what you think!”

The music had stopped in the living room, and both mine and Kat’s attention had been drawn to the sound of Claire’s voice, shouting, her words slightly slurred. Our curiosity inevitably won over us, and we both headed into the living room to see what was going on.

Upon entering, two major things about Claire and Aaron stood out. The first was that Claire looked like total and complete shit. Her hair was messed up and sticking out everywhere, her makeup was smeared and running down her face, and her shirt was twisted up and inside-out. The second thing that stood out was the fact that Aaron, the boy who had doted upon this girl for a year and a half before they even started dating, was now giving her the deadliest of glares as he stood a good twelve to fifteen feet away from her.

What the hell was going on here?

Kat immediately rushed to her friend’s side, with Phee right next to her.

“Really, Claire?” Aaron hissed, pure hatred dripping off of his words. “Why don’t you tell me what it is, then?”

Claire opened her mouth to answer, but Aaron wasn’t finished yet. The entire room had gone silent, in order to hear everything that was said between the feuding couple. Even from the corner of the room, where I was standing, I could hear everything.

“Because to me” Aaron continued “it looked like you were just upstairs fucking Nick Robinson. At my friend’s party!”

Ahhh, there it is. Now it all makes sense.

Claire looked around frantically, at the faces of the peers who suddenly no long worshiped her, but was starting to hate her guts.

“No, Aaron, it’s not like that” she repeated. “I didn’t mean for it to happen. I’m just… drunk. I - I love you!”

“Ha!” Aaron spewed, a dark look coming over his face. “You don’t know what love is. You’re just a self-centered bitch who just lost the only person who ever gave a damn about you. I hope you’re happy now. It’s over.”

And with that, Aaron turned on his heel, shoved through the crowd, and headed for the front door. But not, of course, before Claire got the last word in.

“Oh yeah?” she shouted, just boiling with anger at this point. “Well, I’ve been cheating on you since day one! And Nick has always been better in bed!”

Aaron shook his head, refusing to say any more, and headed out of the front door. Kat was behind him, and she turned around, searching the crowd, until we locked eyes. She smiled a small smile at me, before running after her friend, with Phee on her heels.

And just like that, it was over. The music started blasting again, and everyone slowly started filling in the gap that had been made for Claire and Aaron’s fight. Claire grabbed her things angrily, gripped Nick’s wrist roughly, and the two headed outside as well, I’m assuming to go home.

And I was left standing there, with only one thing on my mind: What was Kat going to say before Aaron and Claire’s argument interrupted her?