Status: Leave me some love!

Never Fall For You

Twenty

-Jason-

I sat in Kat’s driveway for a long moment, completely overwhelmed with the fact that I had no idea what just happened. Well, that’s not true. I knew what happened. I had read too far into Kat’s friendliness and attempt at making things civil between us. I had kissed her, when she clearly only wanted to be friends, and now I’ve probably lost the chance to even be that. I smacked my head on the steering wheel, sighing loudly, before finally resolving to backing out of the driveway and going home.

“What’s wrong with you?” Tyler asked, as I walked into my bedroom, admittedly sulking. I sighed, and flopped onto my bed.

“I don’t want to talk about it” I replied, rolling over to face the wall.

“Is it Kat?” he asked, sitting down at the foot of the bed. “You know, I haven’t talked to her since the party. How is that sweet piece of ass?”

I peered over at him, my eyes narrowed. “Are you trying to get your ass kicked again, Ty?”

He rolled his eyes, and stood up. “I was just asking, man” he mumbled, before walking out of the door.

About mid afternoon, I had talked myself out of going to Hunter’s house to watch movies. I knew Kat was going to be there, and I wasn’t sure if I was ready to face her, yet. But, about thirty minutes before the time we had all agreed to meet up, I found myself changing into jeans and a t-shirt, intent on apologizing to her, and making it clear that I did not want to jeopardize our friendship.

“Where are you going?” Tyler asked, as I headed for the door.

“Out” I muttered, then I stepped outside, and made my way to my car.

I wasn’t going to invite him. I definitely did not need him there when I apologized to Kat. He’d just try to get in the middle of it, and that would probably result in a fight. Again.

I ended up getting to Hunter’s house before everyone else did. Hunter greeted me at the door, then immediately raised his eyebrows, and asked “What’s wrong?”

I sighed, leaning against his front door, as I let the warmth of his house surround me.

“I made a terribly stupid, and awkward mistake” I replied, closing my eyes so I wouldn’t have to read his face. There was a long moment of silence, and I opened my eyes to see him waiting for me to continue. “I, uh… I kissed Kat” I mumbled quickly.

His eyes grew huge as he stared at me, utter disbelief replacing his usually calm expression.

“You did not” he said, his eyes lighting up with excitement, and for a moment, he reminded me of a middle school girl listening to a juicy piece of gossip.

I nodded my head reluctantly, running a hand through my hair, and sighing again.

“And..?” he asked, grinning from ear to ear.

“And, she got out of my car, and practically ran inside” I continued. “I think I really screwed this one up.”

Hunter shook is head. “I doubt that” he replied, folding his arms. “You just need to talk to her.”

I shrugged. “That’s the plan. Hopefully I’ll get the chance to tonight.”

And, just as I said that, the doorbell sounded throughout the whole house. I stepped aside, as Hunter reached around to answer the door.

“Well, hey there gorgeous” he said, just as a blur of red hair flew into him. I looked away as they kissed and hugged each other. Ew.

“Hey, Jason” Phee said, looking at me with her head cocked to the side. I waved at her, then peered around the door to see if Kat was behind her.

No such luck.

Turning to Hunter, Phee said “Kat decided to stay home tonight. I guess the whole funeral thing just really got to her.” She glanced at me, and I got the feeling that Kat had told her about our kiss. And that the real reason she didn’t come was to avoid me. Perfect.

I sighed, and Hunter shrugged. “Well… let’s go pick a movie, yeah?” Phee nodded emphatically, then followed him happily into the theater room. And I followed behind both of them, slowly.

* * *

I waited a long time for my next opportunity to talk to Kat. Call me silly for even thinking that it would ever come. As each day passed, I slowly began losing hope that I would ever get to straighten things out. The worse part was that with each passing day, I was only more certain that I loved her. Each day seemed to just drag by, and to make it worse, Tyler was always hanging around her every chance he got. However, by the end of the school year, I think he’d finally gotten the hint that she didn’t want anything to do with him, because he came to me seething, that Monday of the last week of school.

“Do you know what that bitch just said to me?”

I rolled my eyes, and sighed, ignoring him as I climbed into my car. He climbed into the passenger’s seat, as I rolled down the window, letting the cool breeze flow through the hot, summer air that currently filled my car.

“What bitch, Tyler?” I said, monotonously. “You refer to all of the females that are currently enrolled at our school as a ‘bitch’.”

He sighed loudly. “Kat. Obviously.” I clenched my teeth, but didn’t say anything. “She said that I ‘wasn’t her type’.” He rolled his eyes. “Who says that?”

I smirked. “Kat does” I replied.

Tyler narrowed his eyes at me, but didn’t say anything.

When we finally got home, Mom met us at the door.

“Nu uh” she said, as I tried to move past her. “Turn around, we’re going to Heather’s house for dinner.”

My stomach fluttered slightly.

Finally, I thought. I’ll finally get to talk to her.
♠ ♠ ♠
This is partly filler, yes, but I really just needed this chapter to set up for the next chapter, so hang in there! It gets better, I promise!