The Rosy Dirk (Working Title)

Chapter 1.6

Elizabeth threw the mop on the floor. What was this? They couldn’t just give her a mop and expect her go and mop the floor! She kicked the mop and stared at it grumpily. Stupid old man. Now if wasn’t for him, she would have been on this ship. What a crazy dilemma to be in!
“Someone has a temper.”
Elizabeth jumped in surprise. It was a different voice.
“You are...” She trailed off, not willing to reveal herself yet.
“A member of the ship. And you are a mop girl.”
Elizabeth’s face flushed with fury.
“Don’t call me that.”
“Well, that’s what you are on this ship. A mop girl. Unless you wish to be crew.”
Elizabeth quickly shook her head. No crew for her. She wasn’t ready to deal with a boatload of vicious men. She still wasn’t too sure if this was still just a dream yet. A gust of wind blew over the ship and Elizabeth shivered in her nightgown.
“You look cold.”
“What do you think? Of course I’m cold! This nightgown doesn’t help with anything at all.”
“Well... If you want clothes, you could always request for them.”
“I request for clothes then. And clothes that fit.”
“Turn around, I want to see your face first.”
Elizabeth paused for a moment. See her face? This was a pirate she was speaking to. If they saw her “pretty little face”, who knew what they would do to her? She quickly pulled her hair in front of her face before turning around.
“Yes?”
“That, is your hair.”
“And?”
“I said face.”
“I don’t have a face.”
The man sighed slightly exasperated.
“Alright then.” He turned and left. Elizabeth waited until his footsteps were far enough before she pull her hair out of her face again. As she looked up she noticed the man turning back around and froze.
That wasn’t a pirate she was staring at! He face was completely scarless, smooth light skin with golden brown curls. His eyes were a piercing blue that gazed down at her sharply, and his mouth was curled into an amused smirk.
“I thought you said you didn’t have a face.”
Elizabeth pulled herself out of her trance.
“I-”
“Get mopping, mop girl.” He cut her off short and left. “Your clothes will arrive this evening.”