Code Names

Onward to Physics

The physics department is on the second floor of the new building. The four labs are down one hall, with the prep room in the middle of the rooms. I’ve seen the inside of the prep room briefly once, and it’s so nice! There’s a lot of space and everything seems neatly organized. The school has two physics lab technicians: the new, young, hot one and the one who’s been here forever.

The lab room that my class uses is at the very end of the hall. We’ve taken over the extra workroom also, with our project boxes and tools. I pass loads of students in the hall on the way to my lab, including most of the students in my class. We all walk around with our projects, pieces of our projects, bags full of tools and supplies. I’ve gotten used to the weird looks.

“Lia! Today, we really need to fix this last motor. It’s not working properly. Can you get the soldering iron?” Samantha said as I sit down at the bench.

Maybe I should explain our project. We have to build an amphibious remote control vehicle from scratch. One guy in our group made the wheels out of Plexiglas. I did the circuit, and most of the soldering. I’ve developed a strong hate for soldering since the beginning of our course. Sammy has been trying to coordinate all of our work. The other guy, he has a code name, he’s Beach Boy, he hasn’t done much, but he owns up to it and he’ll be painting our car when we’re done. The other girl hasn’t done much either in my opinion. Sammy doesn’t agree, so we don’t talk about it.

However, Samantha and I do share something: our common interest in Papaya. Of course, I feel like I have an advantage, because I’ve known this guy for almost seven years, and he knows my name! Yes, that matters. It’s a start, and hopefully we’ll be able to grow from there.

The only problem with seeing Papaya all the time is remember how awkward of a child I was when we met. I was eleven or twelve, and really didn’t know how to act around guys. Honestly, I didn’t know how to act around girls. Guys were just those beings that existed, that I got crushes on, and subsequently didn’t know how to act around. But like I said, I was young, and I should hope that I’ve grown since then.