Status: Updates should be regular!

London Calling

Fit hits the Shan

Jen opened her bedroom window and stayed silent for a moment to make sure that she hadn’t woken her parents up. She climbed out the first story window on to the freshly mowed grass in sweatpants and a sweatshirt. Her brunette hair was out of its ponytail and covered by one of Zayn’s beanies so it wouldn’t be easy to grab. She had put on shorts under her sweatpants. She had a long shirt and a tee under her sweatshirt. Sure it was a little toasty, but it would buy her time if Doran tried to rape her. Her cell phone was in her pocket and set to call the police whenever she pushed the send button on the screen. She didn’t bring any weapons, she couldn’t bear the thought of being prepared to cause someone harm unless it was under self defense. She had practiced what Mrs. Smith had taught her in her room before she went to bed. She was as prepared as she would ever be for this encounter. She closed her window her window quietly and found her old bike at the side of her house. She had put it there earlier in the day after she had taken a short ride to make sure it would get her to her destination.

She didn’t bother with a helmet, the community center where she and Jonathan had met Doran wasn’t far and she would count it as a blessing if she died before she faced Doran’s sinister face. Through the years she had considered the sandy blond man to be handsome, but after what he had done to her she had found that passed the blond hair and sparking blue eyes was a jealous monster. She saw it in his cruel smile and the hulking build of his body. She knew it would be an upward battle to best this man, but she had to try.

She was stupid. She knew it. Who willingly faces death besides stupid people? There had to be something seriously wrong with her to think this was a good idea, but at the time she knew that this was her only option. This wasn’t anyone’s fight but hers. It would help to have her brothers as back up and perhaps this whole event would be a walk in the park but she couldn’t take the risk of ending their dreams if something happened to them. She didn’t even consider bringing Zayn into this. He would be pissed when he found out that she didn’t come to him for help, but that was just tough for him. Doran had threatened him and Jen had been so scared for his life. On top of that, probably as Doran wanted, it had made her incredibly angry and provoked. He probably knew she would agree quickly to meeting him if he threatened Zayn because she would hope to kick his ass herself in order to make sure he stayed the hell away from Zayn. The fact that anyone would threaten someone as wonderful as Zayn pissed her off. No one threatened the man she loved, end of story. She wanted to make Doran pay for that. It had been a rash decision, but she had to live with it now.

She rode her bike to the community center ironically now called Jonathan Toews Community Centre. She stopped her bike at the main entrance and left it lying on the concrete. She silently slipped through the door and shut it quietly. Her plan was to find Doran before he spotted her and knock him out. She would then call the police and hide until they came. She had to make sure she got a solid hit to his head so he would be out for a while so she could follow through with her plan. She silently made her way into the hockey arena part of the center. She leaned down so she could hide behind the boards so if Doran was on the other side, he wouldn’t see her. She was stalking around the oval boards surrounding the rink scanning the scene alertly. When she had come to the halfway point, she struggled to quiet her gasp when music came bursting through the speakers. She rolled her eyes as theme song to Freddy Kruger came on, though the more it played, the more it caused her heart to pound. She strained her ears to hear if there was movement.

She thought she heard footsteps behind her and whirled around. She looking into the darkness and struggled to see movement. When she was distracted, a strong arm grabbed her around the shoulders and stabbed her just above the heart with a knife. It was incredibly painful and Jen felt the blood flowing down her chest under all her clothes. She fell to the ground with a thud. She slowly rolled over and put her back to Doran. She had trouble focusing on anything put the pain in her chest. She gathered all her strength as she heard Doran step closer to her as she was trying to get to her knees. She knew he was right behind her and she closed her eyes and said a split second prayer before she threw her leg back at him with all the force in her small body. She aimed right for his nuts and successfully hit her mark. He groaned and dropped the knife stained with her blood as he crouched to nurse his injury. She hurriedly got to her feet and grabbed up the knife.

Jen aimed the knife at Doran as she used her other hand to put pressure on her wound. She let out a hiss of pain as she tried to stop her wound from bleeding. Doran had a frown on his face and he was looking at her with absolute hate. She slowly backed away from him as he began to approach her. She didn’t have the first clue how to hurt someone with a knife so she was merely hoping the sight of the object in her hand would scare him off, so much for that working. Her mind was becoming fuzzy as more blood seeped from her wound. She needed to get herself help fast. Taking her bloody hand away from her chest she pulled out her phone, her eyes never leaving the monster in front of her. She sent the call through and that’s when Doran lunged at her. She was ready this time and dropped her phone so she could put a hand against his chest and stab Doran. He groaned and looked down to see the knife right above his hip bone. He pulled it out with a grunt of pain.

Looking up at Jen, he let a sinister grin overtake his face as he stalked toward her once more. This time Jen knew she had to attack first. She kicked as high as she could and managed to hit the hand with the knife, but not dislodge it from his grip. She immediately followed the kick with a punch to the face. She heard a crack and knew that she had broken his nose. He fell to the ground held his hand to his nose as blood came pouring out. She began to roughly kick him while he was down. He reacted fast and stabbed her in the calf. She let out a gargled scream and kicked his hand a way. With solid kicks to his head, she finally managed to knock him out.

Her front half was covered in blood and she was losing too much at an alarming rate. She felt dizzy and confused. She knew she needed to lie down to help herself. She limped as far away from Doran as she could before the pain was too much for her to bear and she collapsed. Luckily she had fell face first. She would have a hell of a face bruise for it since she didn’t catch herself before she collided with the hard ground, but at least she wouldn’t choke on the blood that was quickly filling her mouth when she lie this way. She needed help fast.

It felt like an eternity until someone found her and by then she was drifting in and out of conscious. The ambulance personnel worked fast to put her on a stretcher. The police set about collecting her and Doran’s ID to run checks on them. That she was awake for. She was determined to stay awake for when they discovered who he was. The paramedics were trying to talk to her to get their own story, but once they flipped her over and saw her blood seeping through her clothes, they stopped and worked frantically because Doran had come dangerously close to her heart. They got her on a gurney and were wheeling her away when she saw a familiar car speed to a stop beside them. When she saw Jonathan jump out, she let out a tiny smile because she knew everything would be okay now. She let herself succumb fully to the dark abyss of unconsciousness.

*****

Zayn jumped out of the car as did Jonathan and his heart plummeted. He saw the familiar head of hair on the gurney and he assumed the worst. He needed her to be okay. “Go with Jen!” Jonathan barked at him. He nodded and ran to the ambulance. He told the paramedics that he was her fiancé and they let him ride with her. While they were speeding to the nearest hospital, Zayn took Jen’s cold hand in his and tried not to stare at her wound. He could feel the tears making a steady stream down his face. The beeping of the heart monitor told him she was alive. But he doubted she could hold on much longer without getting to the hospital. Her blood was all over her clothes and hands. Zayn didn’t care, he had to touch her to know that she was still with him. “This was so stupid. Why didn’t you tell me,” he sobbed and put the back of her hand to his forehead as he cried. “I could’ve protected you! I would’ve never let that son of a bitch do this to you! Hang on Jen because I need to tell you I love you and that I want to spend the rest of my life showing you the joys of yours. If you die, I don’t know what I’m going to do.” She needed to live for him, she just had to.

The wait in the family room was torturous. They had given Zayn a private room so if the press came, he would be left alone. It’s not like he would be able to hear what the press was asking him. His thoughts were overcome with fear for Jen’s life and extreme anxiety. He had called the boys right when he was put into this room alone. He sat on the hospital bed sobbing into the phone as he told Niall that Jen was hurt and they were in the hospital. Niall did his best to calm Zayn down and assured him that they would be on the first flight to Canada to support him.

Now all he had to do was sit and wait and he was not a patient man by any means in crisis mode. He paced and paced and when his legs got tired he sat for a split second before he resumed pacing. He couldn’t sit still and he wished he had his sketchbook to try to calm himself down. His heart was still pounding and a cold sweat had long since covered his body. He was sweating though he felt chilled to the bone. His only saving grace was when Jonathan came into the room and told him that Doran had been taken to the hospital and as soon as he was better, he was going back to prison. He would get life without parole. The Toews family and Zayn would make sure of it. He was thankful for Jonathan’s presence, but it didn’t help him stop pacing.

Around the two hour mark, Jonathan left the room. After fifteen minutes, Zayn counted because he had nothing to do but count the minutes passing, he came back with a coffee and a notebook. He threw it at Zayn along with a pen. Zayn bobbled them in his hands before he secured them both. “Some nurse at the station is making you tea. You’re freaking me out more than I already am so take a fucking chill pill.”

Not wanting to cause anymore stress on Jen’s brother he sat down and lost himself in drawing, only stopping to receive his tea from the young nurse who obviously recognized him because she had fixed his tea to his exact liking. He would’ve been amused if his girlfriend hadn’t been fighting for her life. Jen needed to be okay, she had to be because he refused to accept any different result and he wanted her to know just how stupid she had been.

******

Jen struggled to open her eyes. She tried to let out a pained groan, but that only caused her more pain. It was hard to breathe and she felt like a weight was pressing on her chest every time she tried to inhale. A nurse came in minutes later and she gave her more pain medicine without Jen having to violently wave her arms to get the point across. The nurse told her she was going to fetch her fiancé, brother, and the doctor. She assumed Zayn had called himself her fiancée in order to get information from the nurses. She had to admit, it had a nice ring to it.

When they all assembled into the room, the relief flooded Jonathan’s and Zayn’s features. Zayn even cracked a small teary smile. They each moved forward and took one of her hands in their much warmer ones and stood at her side. “Ms. Toews you were stabbed in the chest and in the calf. Both injuries we were able to patch up but you were extremely lucky. Any closer to your heart with the amount of time passed before you arrived would have killed you.” Jen nodded and with a soft pat on her foot the doctor dismissed himself, saying that he would return later in the day.

“You’re alive and you’re going to stay that way. Doran won’t ever be able to touch you again.. The good thing is you can forget about Doran and finally move on without worry he’s coming after you. He’ll be in solitary the rest of his life with no chance of escape. You’re free.” She looked over a Jonathan and gave him a small smile. He smiled back and leaned down to kiss her forehead. “Zayn’s going to stay with you while I pick up mom and dad from the airport.”

She nodded and watched him walk out the door. Zayn looked back at his pale girlfriend dressed in a hospital gown. He thanked the higher being upstairs for letting her survive, but now that she was out of immediate danger the anger seeped into ever fiber of his being.