Still the One

CIV.

Harry’s Point of View

‘Aw c’mon! Are you sure that you don’t want to come with us for a couple of drinks tonight?’ Fionn urges for the tenth time in the background as I carefully shove my laptop and journal down into my backpack. ‘It’ll be a proper good time.’

‘I’m quite sure that you boys will get along just fine without me tonight.’ I fan him off, not bothering to take my eyes off of my bag trying to make sure I have everything. My mom would be so proud. We had spent the last couple of hours in and out of some of the harshest water so the last thing I wanted to do was go sit in some loud bar with a bunch of drunks. Mainly, I was still worried about Libby. I had to talk to her before I had something along the lines of a mini breakdown.

‘You were supposed to be my wingman!’ Bobby forces himself into my tiny trailer, throwing a long, thin arm over Fionn.

‘Another time, I promise.’ I throw my backpack over my shoulder and follow them out onto the crowded set. ‘Honestly, I’m just not up to it tonight.’

‘Suit yourself!’ Fionn and Bobby rush off to join the others in some large white van. I stifle out a laugh as they all pile over each other in an attempt to get inside.

On the way to the SUV that awaited me, I spot some of the fans that had been out here day and night dying for a glimpse of the action. Word around set, some of them had been out here for the last couple of days in a row. They even came in before the crew and left after we’re all long gone in our hotels for the night. ‘Hi everyone!’ I cheer, catching them all by surprise as I make my way over to them, ‘Is everyone good? How are you all doing today?’ Handfuls of iPhones extend out to my face as I go down the line.

‘Hi Harry, thank you so much for stopping!’ One finds the courage to speak while the others excitedly whisper amongst each other. ‘We can’t wait to see the movie!’

‘Thank you, thank you. Honestly, I could never tell you all how much the dedication and support means. I hope that you all have a great day.’ I take pictures with everyone and sign their papers then walk towards the van before giving my security detail a heart attack.

Once I’m in the safety and security of the overly tinted windows, I pull my phone out to see if Libby finally responded. Thank Christ she did. I thought for sure that either I was going to send someone to stop at the house or I was going back home myself. I reread the single line about a dozen times, still not exactly knowing how to respond. Why did she sound so serious? I think back to my last phone conversation with her trying to piece together what could’ve gone wrong and the reason for the complete 360. Our last conversation was good, great even. She was her same giggling self, she seemed like my Libby. I wanted to call her right here and now but I refrain. I didn’t quite know the driver that well so I didn’t fully trust him just yet. For all I know, he could record our conversation and leak it to the Daily Mail all before I could properly blink. I could already see the headlines. Uh Oh: Trouble in Harry Styles’ Love Direction. Something completely cheesy like that.

On my way to the hotel. Give me twenty minutes.

I watch impatiently before it finally reads delivered at the bottom of my text to her. I look ahead at the line of cars, dying to go faster. Finally, I make it back to the hotel and slip the driver a quick thank you before rolling out the car to head up to my room. The moment, I kick the door closed I slowly slide into bed and press Libby’s contact info. I didn’t want to hear whatever she had to say over the phone. I needed to see her face when she talks. I call her on FaceTime and prop up my phone as it makes that annoying little beeping sound, signaling that it’s calling her. Her face pops up on the screen and she flashes me a weak smile that quickly drops. I scoop my phone into my hands and bring it so close to my face that I could almost touch her.

‘What’s the matter, Lib?’ I wonder, feeling my eyebrows knit together with worry already. She opens her mouth before closing it tightly, scaring me. ‘Libby, what’s wrong? Talk to me.’

‘My professor tried to hit on me.’ She blurts and my stomach drops almost instantly. I pray that I did not hear her correctly. She could not have just said what I thought she said.

‘He what? What do you mean he tried to hit on you? What happened? Where did this happen? When did this happen?’ I knew that my questions were all falling out at a rapid rate but I couldn’t control it. I needed to know every single detail so I can make him pay for it, rightfully.

‘Well, I went to his office because we had to set up an appointment time to discuss our standing in the class. He started talking about some internship and gave me the paper, then he, he-..’ She pauses in her words as if she was about to be sick. I sit there silently, not wanting to push her into it. ‘Started rubbing my thigh and I called him out on it then he put his hand on my shoulder and was just holding me there. I ran out of his office, not looking back and now I have no idea what I’m going to do. I need this class to graduate but I can’t face him Harry, I can’t show my face in there again.’ Libby wipes fresh tears from her face causing my stomach to turn with knots, I should be doing that for her. ‘I just feel so, stupid.’

‘Don’t.’ I finally decide to cut her off, ‘This has nothing to do with you and everything about this prick. You did nothing wrong and I need you to believe me, okay?’ She nods her head but she doesn’t seem too convinced. ‘What do you need me to do? Whatever you need, baby – it’s yours.’

‘It’s something that I really can’t get right now,’ Libby looks up into the camera as picks at the skin on her thumb. She always did that when she was upset or nervous. ‘I just want to be with you.’ With that confession, I feel myself shatter into a thousand tiny pieces. This was definitely one of those moments that I hated the travelling that my job required.

‘I know, I know. I’m sorry that I can’t do more for you right now but the moment that I get a chance, I’m coming home to you.’

Libby’s Point of View

The next morning, I wake up to see that my phone died during my FaceTime with Harry. We spent over an hour talking about everything but Mr. Jacobs and I was definitely thankful. I practically make myself go to Glamour after skipping yesterday. I stare at my reflection in the lift as it slowly drags up. You did nothing wrong. He did. I repeated that mantra over and over as I got ready this morning. Harry was right, this had nothing to with me but everything to do with him.

‘Hi, Lib. Are you feeling any better?’ Tiffany questions once she hangs up the phone to study me.

‘What?’ I retort, already forgetting that I told her I was too sick with a spontaneous stomach flu to come in yesterday. It wasn’t a complete lie. I did feel sick after that meeting. ‘No, not really.’ I attempt to collect myself, knowing that I just blew it.

‘Do you want me to make you some tea? That always makes me feel better.’

‘No, thank you. I really just want to get started on the work that I missed out on yesterday for now. Maybe later?’

‘Of course.’ She stares at me for a while before she directs her attention back to her computer. Clearly, she didn’t buy it. I barely believed it. If she pressed the issue, I knew that I would come unglued.

Purposely, I spend my day hid in my office so I wouldn’t have to look anyone in the face and lie anymore. There were only three people who knew about what happened. Me. Harry. Mr. Jacobs. Of course, Harry wouldn’t tell. I couldn’t see why Mr. Jacobs would run out and ruin his career by telling anyone. I wanted this to be a secret that gets buried with me one day. The mere thought of confrontation or the fact that its merely my word against his terrified me. ‘I haven’t seen you around the office all day.’ Jackie comments as she repositions her Prada bag in her hand. ‘It’s almost like you weren’t here for the second day. Is everything alright?’

‘Just making up for lost time.’ I mutter, looking up from my computer only for a second.

‘Alright, I have a glass of Chardonnay and a hot bath waiting on me. It’s nearly six, go home Libby. I promise that all of your work will still be here tomorrow.’ Jackie teases while strutting off towards the lift with her impressive, model-like legs.

Eventually, I drag myself back to the large, empty house. Tonight, it felt even larger and emptier than usual. Harry hadn’t responded to my last few texts so I’m guessing he was out being a movie star. Bandit casually brushes himself against my legs and disappears back into his favorite place, the theater room. I send Harry one last text saying goodnight before crawling into the bed we shared. Deep in the wee hours of the morning the bed shakes and squeaks causing me to jump up. Harry’s laugh fills my ears before I’m pulled into his tight arms, ‘I’m sorry, it’s only me. I didn’t mean to scare you. In hindsight, I probably should’ve told you that I was coming but I wanted it to be a surprise. I’m sorry.’ He soothes happily running his hands up and down my back, ‘It’s me. I’m here.’
♠ ♠ ♠
Hi everyone, I hope that you enjoyed the latest chapter! Feel free to leave a comment, subscribe to the story, or recommend it. Thank you!