Still the One

CVI.

Harry’s Point of View

Somehow, I ended up in a tiny studio somewhere on the outside of London. I’m sure I came here back with the band during our earlier stages after X-Factor. I didn’t have my usual brown journal so I grab up a bunch of old papers from the glove department before rolling out of my car. ‘I didn’t expect you back here so quick – I thought for sure you were out filming some ginormous blockbuster in California with that legendary director.’ My producer Mark comments while dropping his satchel to the floor, ‘I got your text and came running. What do you want to make today?’

‘Well, I got into a bit of a fight with my wonderful girlfriend and I just need to get out everything before I explode.’ I throw my head back against the wall, still regretting how everything just happened between Libby and I.

‘Alright girlfriend issues? Let’s make something good then.’ Mark chimes as he takes the nearest chair, ‘I’ll just sit back and let you do you do. It’ll be like I’m not even here.’

‘Thanks man.’ I mutter in response, staring at the few lines in front of me. ‘It’s hard when we argue, we’re both stubborn I know, but oh-… but oh.’ I use my pen to nervously tap against the crumpled piece of an old electric bill. ‘But oh.’

‘Why are you here?’ Mark inquires as I try to write myself out of this annoying block. It’ll be like I’m not even here – yeah right. I didn’t bother to look up but I knew that he was closer than he just was.

‘I already told you. We got into this dumb fig-…’

‘No. I mean why are you here? In London. You went on for months about how you were taking a break from the music to branch out into film. Now, here you are in an empty studio with old pieces of paper. So, why’d you come back? Why are you here, Harry?’

‘She needed me, for something.’ I shrug, feeling myself getting pissed off all over again. Currently, it was taking every part of me not to drive back to that campus, just to kick his ass up and down that hall. Libby needed that place, only for a few more months but she still needed to graduate from there. I didn’t want to make things any harder than they are already. In the back of my mind, I’m still waiting on that call from my lawyer saying that he’s pressing charges. ‘I don’t know, I’d always come back for her. No matter where I am or what I’m doing, I’d come back here for her every single time. Unflinchingly. Without a doubt.’

‘So, would you say that she brought you home?’ Mark eyes me knowingly. He just helped me figure out my next line. This is why I work with him. The man’s a genius.

‘Sweet creature.’ I whisper, jotting that down before I could forget it, ‘Sweet creature, sweet creature, wherever I go – you’ll bring me home. Sweet creature, sweet creature, when I run out of road – you’ll bring me home.’

‘That’s actually really good.’ Mark muses as he leans back in his chair, his coffee carefully in his grasp. As usual. ‘We’re on to something here – I can just feel it.’

Being the perfectionist that I am, I made myself finish the song with a pretty decent rough draft before leaving the studio. It was dark out by the time that I was finally walking to my car in the abandoned parking lot. I drive around the block several times until I figured Libby wasn’t too upset with me anymore. I could practically feel my palms grow clammy as I fish the key out of my back pocket. The last thing I wanted to do was lay down beside her in a room full of tension. The moment that my feet hit the floor, her body collides with mine. Surprised, I hold her against me tightly.

‘I know that we both said some stupid things but you’ve been gone all day! I’ve called and texted a thousand times! I thought you were in a ditch somewhere, you had me worried sick!’ She rambles, not bothering to let me go any time soon. I was grateful, with the morning we had I almost forgot just how much I’ve missed her. I notice she’s wearing nothing but my Rolling Stones shirt which causes my stomach to tighten.

‘I’m sorry baby,’ I stifle out a laugh at her concern, she sounded just like my mom. ‘I let my phone in my luggage. I haven’t been purposely ignoring your calls – I’ve been at the studio since I left this morning. I didn’t mean to worry you. I’m sorry, Lib – for it all.’

‘I’m sorry too. I should’ve told you from the start about him. I guess that I just wanted to prove to myself and you that I could handle things on my own, especially while you were gone. You’re completely right, we’re in this together and I shouldn’t have left you in the dark.’

‘Don’t.’ I use my fingers to stroke her soft cheek, ‘You were right. I let his smug face get into my head and I wrongfully took it out on you.’ I assure her while pulling her onto my lap, ‘I love you so much, Lib. I’ll admit that sometimes it does make me a bit reckless and irrational. I just hate the fact that someone hurt you and I wasn’t around to do a damn thing about it.’

‘I love you too, Harry.’

‘I want to play you something.’

Libby’s Point of View

Harry rushes off to the back room to retrieve one of his guitars after carefully setting me aside on the sofa. I anxiously settle down into the soft material while he attempts to place the guitar on his lap just right. ‘Bear with me. It’s a work in progress.’

‘Okay.’ I chime nervously as he purses his lips while strumming, staring at his fingers to concentrate.

‘Sweet creature, had another talk about where it’s going wrong. But we’re still young, we don’t know where we’re going but we know where we belong. And oh, we started two hearts in one home. It’s hard when we argue, we’re both stubborn I know but oh, sweet creature, sweet creature, wherever I go – you’ll bring home. Sweet creature, sweet creature, when I run out of road – you’ll bring me home.’ Throughout the entire time that Harry’s singing, his eyes never leave my face.

Once he’s finished, he waits for me to say something while studying me closely. I open my mouth to close it again before snaking my arms around his neck. ‘I love you.’ I manage to get out of into the crook over his collarbone. ‘So, so much.’

‘I love you.’ He murmurs quietly, pressing his lips to my temple.

After his shower, Harry crawls into the bed beside me to lay on his back. He focuses his deep green eyes on the ceiling while propping his head up with his toned arms. I roll over to get as close to him as humanly possible, while watching the ceiling fan go around in circles. I tried to count to see just how fast it went in a minute when I lose the blade I was following. ‘When do you leave?’ I question after a while. He furrows his eyebrows together and I knew that he was already dreading it.

‘Tomorrow afternoon. I have to be in France for filming the day after.’

‘Okay.’ I nod probably too many times. ‘And you’re going to be there for the next three months, right?’

‘Yeah, I’ll have a few gaps during though. You can come see me or I can come home we’ll figure it out. Like we always do’ Harry grins as he slips one arm around my waist. ‘Have I told you just how much I missed you while I was in California?

‘No, I don’t think you did.’ I smile to myself while nestling against him.

‘Well, I missed you so much. I’m pretty sure that my cast mates hate me for the amount of times that I squeezed you into a conversation. Not even joking, we could be talking about the water and I would just be like “you know Libby would love this place”. I was definitely that guy on the set.’ He coughs out a loud, genuine laugh running his hand across his light stubble, ‘Oh! I met your one true love, Mr. Tom Hardy.’

‘You did not! How was it?’

‘He’s a bit shorter in person actually but he’s massive. He’d easily kick my ass, I’m sure of it. He’s one of the nicest people, we got lunch together on the first week of filming.’

‘I am so jealous.’ I speak through a yawn. I forgot just how soothing Harry’s voice was, even when he was just talking. I could already feel my eyelids growing heavier with each second.

‘Come with me. To France.’

I wanted to go to France, I think part of me needed to go. I was nearly done with classes and everything was looking good at Glamour after the success of the revamp party. Jackie most likely wouldn’t mind as long as I made up for it as soon as I got back so she wasn’t the problem. It was Mr. Jacobs. After he met Harry’s fist, I’m not sure if he’ll sue or drop me from his course. Since classes were almost over, I would probably get a F and have to take it all over again next semester. ‘Do you not want to?’ Harry wonders beside me. I guess I was taking a little too long to form a proper response.

‘I do. Believe me, I really do. I’m not sure if I’ll be able to miss class because exams are coming up.’

‘Lib, you’re not going back anywhere that creep. I know that you’re more than capable of making your own decisions but no. I don’t trust him or the school after that stunt the president pulled.’

‘I need it to finish.’

‘Fine, I’ll sit with you in class then.’

‘I think you and I both know that that’s not possible. You have a job, you can’t be with me twenty-four-seven, Harry.’ I remind him quietly, playing with his large fingers.

‘Maybe not, but I can hire some big ass guard to be there when I can’t.’ I giggle shaking my head at him, knowing that he was serious. I could just imagine Sam or Preston dressed in all black, squeezing down into the uncomfortable chairs in the lecture hall ‘I’m not giving him the opportunity to touch you ever again.’

I sit up in bed to send Jackie an e-mail about possibly taking off work for a couple of days when a new e-mail from President Hughes. I swallow hard before clicking the line of words to pull up the rest.

Miss. White, I regret that our meeting was less than productive. As an administrator, I strive to make sure that all of my students are looked after, respected, and constantly in a safe environment. After discussing the matter further with Mr. Jacobs, I would to bring forth a possible solution for all of the parties involved. If desired, you will no longer have to attend the lecture face-to-face. Mr. Jacobs agrees that it may be best if you submit any work VIA e-mail and he has assured me that he will not partake in any form of personal bias for the remainder of the course. Please, contact me further with your decision or any concerns you may have. Thank you, Miss. White. I’m looking forward to hearing from you. – President Hughes.

‘What’s with that face?’ Harry raises his eyebrows over at me once he takes his eyes off of the TV.

‘Looks like we’re going to France.’
♠ ♠ ♠
Hi everyone! I hope that you enjoyed the latest chapter of STO. It would be much appreciated if you left a quick comment with your thoughts or any suggestions you may have. Also, feel free to subscribe or recommend the story. Thanks! (: