Still the One

CIX.

‘Wait, what? What do you mean the university? What are you talking about Christopher?’ I blurt out uncontrollably. There were suddenly a thousand questions circling in my mind. I was desperately trying to get them out and answered. ‘The campus?’

‘Max and I just figured it was all shit, like it usually is. If only the rest of them were as smart as us. You know the people here though, they’re entertained by everyone else’s lives but their own.’

‘Christopher,’ I breathe slowly trying to wrap my head around the latest news, ‘What exactly is everyone saying about me?’

‘Libby, I’m sure you don’t want to hear it. It’s rubbish, it’s not even worth repeating if I’m being completely honest. I thought I would just call as a joke but now it doesn’t seem so funny.’ Christopher is suddenly stepping on eggshells while talking lowly into the phone. I’m guessing there was someone around that he didn’t want to hear our conversation.

‘Please, I want to know.’ I insist, sliding down against the wooden door to the ground. ‘I actually need to know.’

‘There’s always been whispers about students getting with Mr. Jacobs and all that because he’s young and attractive – but they were just whispers. Anyways, it was going around campus that he was screwing one of his students. Long story short, you’re that student.’

‘Wait, why me?’

‘Well your name was thrown in it when people saw you and Harry with Hughes. Especially since Harry’s never on campus let alone roaming the halls speaking to the president. They all just automatically assumed the worst. Plus, you’ve missed the last couple of days so people have been saying that Harry found out about you and Mr. Jacobs so that’s why you haven’t been on campus.’

‘Oh my God.’ I mutter, feeling physically sick. ‘I have to go.’ I don’t wait for Christopher’s response before hanging up.

‘Are you ready to go Libby?’ Tom questions on the other side of the door after knocking lightly.

‘Just a second,’ I croak already feeling my throat tighten with oncoming tears, ‘I’ll be right out.’ I grab my phone and throw it down into my purse before stepping out into the large hallway with Tom.

‘Did you need more time? I didn’t mean to rush you.’

‘It’s fine.’ I bite down on my lip, trying to avoid crying in front of Harry’s security guard. Especially since we were about to step out in front of the fans still waiting outside of the hotel for Harry. The last thing I wanted were photos circulating of me crying. I could already imagine the ways that “journalists” would pin it on Harry. They shout out at me while Tom rushes me into the sleek, black car.

‘Please excuse me if I’m over stepping any boundaries but are you alright ma’am?’ Tom wonders, cautiously eyeing me through the rearview mirror. With that, I break down in the small back seat. In a full-on sob. I went out of my way and then some to make sure no one found out about Jacobs. Now they know, with the help of petty gossip and a string of twisted lies. ‘Ma’am?’ Tom calls out anxiously, ‘Do you need me to pull over? I could possibly call Mr. Styles and have him meet us?’

‘No, no. Please don’t.’ I wipe my face repeatedly, trying to collect myself for both of our sake’s.

‘Well, I figured out a pretty hilarious celebrity.’ Tom offers, trying to ease the tension and I appreciated it. ‘It was my bachelor party, so of course I got extremely shattered that night. The next morning, my manager rings me up saying that all of his staff are busy or whatever. He tells me that he needs my help with a very important person who was in the area and in need of security. At the time, I needed the money so I of course agreed to fill in. I get dressed in spite of the massive hangover and splitting headache then head down to some fancy hotel. I go up to the room to meet my boss and there he is, none other than bloody Mick Jagger. He introduces himself and I go to shake his hand, puked all over his shoes.’ As Tom runs through his story, I burst right into a fit of giggles at Tom’s expense.

‘That’s horrible.’ I speak through a sniffle while sitting up in the seat, ‘What did he say?!’

‘Before or after I was escorted off the property? Never saw Mick again. He was fairly nice about it though; his manager chased me all the way to my car.’

‘Terrible.’

Before I knew it, we were at the Dunkirk set. Large men dressed in black stood at every other corner. More fans lined up behind a metal barricade with signs and sleeping bags. A man, a really intimidating man stops us at the entrance. ‘Credentials please.’

Tom slides him some kind of plastic card before we’re let onto the set. I slide out of the car and glance around with curiosity. People with fancy headsets rush around chaotically, nearly bumping into one another. Tom hovers closely behind me as we walk to the trailers. Harry Styles. I knock on the door to be instantly greeted by a wet, shirtless Harry. ‘Right on time.’ He cheers, pulling me inside of his trailer. ‘Wait, are those tears? Whose ass do I need to kick, Lib?’ Harry immediately inquires. I could tell by the look on his face and the tone of his voice he was being completely serious. ‘C’mon – talk to me. What happened?’

‘Well apparently a good amount of the university is talking about my sexual relationship with Mr. Jacobs or what everyone thinks is a relationship when it was really just some sick, perverted creep.’

‘Baby.’ Harry murmurs as he pulls me into his chest, wetting my clothes in the process. ‘I am so sorry. I know that you didn’t want anyone to know.’

‘It’s not fair, Harry.’ I mutter, crying into his damp skin. ‘He’s the one that did something wrong and know I’m being slut shammed throughout the campus? How is that even okay? The term’s almost done and I have no idea how I can show my face there or at graduation. I’ve worked so hard for this.’

‘It’s not, it’s not okay. I know you did, Lib.’ He chimes placing repeated kisses on my head. ‘What do you need from me? Do you want me to sue, beat his ass, get someone fired or kicked out of school? All of the above?’ Harry runs his hands up and down my back comfortingly. As much as I would like to see him drag Mr. Jacobs out of his office, it would probably do more harm than good. ‘Or do you just want me to listen?’ Harry speaks after my silence.

‘Please, just hold me.’

‘I can do that.’

Harry’s Point of View

I could physically feel myself breaking as Libby broke down in my arms. I know that the right thing to do is to just wait for Libby’s word before doing anything but all I could think about was making him pay for what he did. I could hear the laughter from the others right outside the door. I figured Libby wouldn’t want to meet anyone right now and she shouldn’t have to. ‘Hey, I’m just gonna get dressed and then we’ll get out of here. Okay?’ I question cautiously pulling away from her. She simply nods in return as she curls up on the mini sofa. ‘I’ll be right back.’ I get dressed the fastest I’ve done since outfit changes on tour with One Direction. ‘Are you ready, baby?’

‘I’m ready.’ She whispers, sliding her fingers through the spaces of mine as I lead the way out of the trailer. She stays close behind me as I follow Tom towards the car that awaited us.

She puts on a brave face as people continuously walk near us to introduce themselves. With all of my Libby talk on set, everyone was overjoyed to finally meet her. Cast mates, the crew, production. Everyone. She politely holds conversations with all of them before we could finally make our escape. Once we’re within the privacy of the car, she nestles against me silently as she absentmindedly played with my fingers. ‘You hungry?’

‘I could eat.’

‘Alright, I know a place that you’ll love. They have the best Italian around.’ I try to feed Tom directions while focusing on the girl beside me. She didn’t say much which scared me. At times like this I wish I could read her mind so I would know exactly what to say or not to say.

‘I’m sorry.’ She finally speaks up after a while, taking me by surprise.

‘For what?’

‘This is bound to come out soon. Someone’s going to tip off the Sun or Daily Mail and it’ll be everywhere that Harry Styles’ girlfriend was sleeping with her English teacher while he was off filming in the states. The last thing that you need right now is bad press.’

‘Screw it,’ I immediately interject, ‘I don’t give a damn about what people are going to say. As long as you and I know the truth, who cares? I’m more concerned about you, Lib. I wish you’d let me do anything so this guy can’t get away with this. He’ll probably be stalking around for another student next term. The president clearly doesn’t have any intention of getting rid of him.’

‘At this point, it’d just be my word against his. You see how well that turned out with president.’ Libby frowns, as we come to a slow stop. ‘Everyone loves him, it’s almost like he’s untouchable.’

I open my lips to reply but decide against it while reaching for the door handle. I wasn’t about to pressure Libby into anything else, I definitely learned my lesson. I wrap my arm around her waist the moment she steps from the car as a form of protection. I knew that the prick was miles away but I still felt like I needed to protect her. Tom sits down at the table directly beside ours and Libby shakes her head at him with the slightest smile. I’m guessing it was some sort of inside joke between the two of them. ‘How’d you manage today?’

‘It was fairly good for the most part. Tom and I went out to these shops and I took a bunch of pictures. I’ll have to show you once we get back to the room.’ She speaks with this genuine sparkle in her eyes. ‘It’s so much more beautiful here in the day time, if that’s even possible. Anyway, how was your day?’ She inquires, from across the table. Typical Libby. Already ready to get the attention off of herself.

‘I’m looking forward to seeing your pictures,’ I speak after taking a swig of the beer in front of me, ‘It was good. A bit more of the same with all of the water though. You’ll have to come to set a little earlier so you can see me in action.’

‘I would love to.’ She beams excitedly, genuinely excited too. No matter how long and drawn out it got, Libby hung onto every single word. One of the many things I loved about her.

When we got back to the hotel, she coyly grabs up a hotel towel before going to the other room and turning the shower water on. I flop down into the bed and grab up the remote to find something to watch. ‘Want me to join you?’ I ask with a smirk, not taking my eyes from the TV.

‘I’m sure you would just love that.’ She laughs from the doorway, ‘but could I possibly get a raincheck on that offer of yours?’

‘Anytime.’ I nod looking over at her with a grin. ‘The offer will last as long as you need it to.’

She smiles once more before walking back to the bathroom. From the corner of my eye, I could see the smile quickly fall from her face as she turns her back towards me and closes the door.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hii! Just a really quick thank you for continuously following along with the story! I hope that you're still enjoying it. Feel free to comment, subscribe, or recommend Still the One! (: