Still the One

CXI.

‘I cannot believe that you’re leaving already,’ Harry complains as I fall into his open arms, ‘I swear you just got here.’ His dark eyebrows knit together as he places his deep green eyes down on me.

‘I know, I know.’ I sigh, inhaling the familiar scent of his usual cologne. His thick sweater was warm and the last thing I wanted to do was leave his arms. The sense of protection and security constantly washed over me when I was with him. ‘I wish it could’ve been longer but I need to get back. Someone has to hold down the home front, right?’

‘Right,’ He stifles out a laugh while throwing my duffle bag over his shoulder and slipping his fingers through mine, ‘I wish I could take you to the airport but I have to be on set in twenty minutes.’

‘I understand, just call me once you get a break.’ I rise on my tip-toes to press my lips against his while resting my hands on his broad shoulders. He smiles against my mouth before I pull away to bury my face into his clothes once again. His lips linger against my temple before he groans walking over to the door.

Tom is waiting in the hallway patiently with his back against the wall. He pushes himself from the wall and politely grabs my suitcase and leads the way towards the lift. Harry slips an arm over my shoulder while we trail behind Tom. While Tom loads the car, I sneak in a quick kiss with Harry. ‘See you soon.’

‘See you soon, I love you.’

‘I love you.’ I repeat while sliding down into the car with Tom.

The drive to the airport was painfully silent. My heart felt heavy. Leaving Harry never got any easier, even after over a year together. I glance back to see him waving in the abandoned back lot of the hotel. I wave back before his tall frame gets smaller and smaller behind the tinted glass. ‘I couldn’t have explored Dunkirk with a better person, Miss. Libby.’ Tom speaks while helping me through the large airport.

‘Thank you, Tom. I hope that I can pry more of your embarrassing stories out of you soon.’

‘I can’t make any promises.’ Tom shakes his head with a loud laugh. ‘I’ll probably have to start charging you for my embarrassment.’

‘Bye Tom.’

‘Bye Miss. Libby.’

The flight was a mere two hours so it wasn’t so bad. Sam, one of Harry’s many security guards greets me at Heathrow airport. I climb into the back of the SUV while he insists on putting my bags in the back himself. On the way home, we stop by Anne’s place to get Bandit.

‘How was Dunkirk? How’s my boy?’ Anne wonders, rushing around to grab Bandit’s things.

‘Great and amazing. He’s actually having the time of his life over there. One day, I got to sit on set for a little and he’s a natural.’ I gush, lifting Bandit into my arms, ‘Thanks so much for watching after this little guy. We appreciate it so much.’

‘Of course. Call me, if you need absolutely anything.’ Anne looks over at me with concerned eyes. ‘Don’t hesitate.’ I’m guessing either Harry’s filled her in on Jacobs or she read Daily Mail’s version of events. ‘While the boy’s out of town, you should get lunch with me and Gemma soon. You know we’re always happy to have you around.’

‘Thank you, Anne.’

‘Anytime.’

‘I better get going. Sam’s waiting out front.’ I grab up Bandit’s bag and slip out of the door, avoiding Anne’s knowing stare.

I set Bandit down while saying goodnight to Sam, who waits for me to get inside before driving away. I set the alarm, already hearing Harry’s voice in my head. I exhale deeply while walking up the long staircase, dying to get in my own bed once again. There was nothing like the feeling of being in my own room after staying in Harry’s hotel room for the last week. I wash the flight off of me before diving down into the soft sheets.

Made it. Miss you already – Libby.
Miss you baby – Harry.

I smile at the quickness of his response before settling down into the sheets. I would be back at Glamour tomorrow morning and then back at classes the next day. Part of me wondered just how different people would look at me now. Especially on campus.

My alarm clock harshly interrupts my slumber bright and early the next morning. I definitely didn’t miss this part. I drag around before deciding on one of my favorite dresses, deciding to play it safe. Why are you so nervous? It’s not like you haven’t walked into Glamour hundreds of times by now . When I make it onto our floor, Tiffany nearly tackles me into a hug. ‘I’ve called you! It’s like you dropped off the face of the Earth for the last week.’

‘Not off the face of the Earth completely, I was just in France.’ I answer with a smile, feeling more relieved that Tiffany at least seemed happy to see me.

‘It’s been absolutely dead without you here. I saw the story, are you okay?’ She questions as she follows me back towards my office. ‘Sorry, stupid question.’ Tiffany murmurs, sensing my silence as annoyance.

‘No, it’s not really. I’m just still figure out how to talk about it without actually talking about it.’

‘I’m sorry, I’ll drop it.’ She offers me a smile before walking back towards the hall, ‘I better let you get started on that massive stack of papers on your desk.’

‘Gee, thanks.’ I tease sitting down at the table to look over everything that I missed while being gone.

I dive into the last week’s work, feeling at ease. There was something refreshing about getting lost in countless papers of assignments. I needed the distraction. It sort of kept me sane. The more I worked, the less I thought about stepping into those crowded lecture halls tomorrow. ‘Libby, could I have a moment of your time this afternoon?’ Jackie hovers in the doorway with a stunning pair of red heels. I take several mental pictures, already wanting a pair of my own.

‘Okay.’ I peep, nervously with too many nods. ‘See you then.’

During lunch, Tiffany and I head to a small bakery not too far from the office. She fills me in on new pictures of her daughter, Charlotte. ‘Paul and I should have you and Harry back over for dinner whenever he gets back.’

‘Of course.’ I plaster a smile on my face, twirling around the straw in my glasses, ‘We’d love that.’

‘Great Libby, you’re back.’ Jackie signals me to follow her down towards her office, ‘I’m about to leave for a few meetings so I really wanted to talk before then.’

‘I think I know what you want to talk about,’ I mutter to myself while sitting down in one of her extremely comfortable chairs.
So comfortable that I could already feel my eyelids growing heavier with each second. ‘Tiffany filled me in about all of the calls the company’s been getting over the last week. Just so you know, I always wanted to keep my personal life separate from my work life. I never wanted to bring any form of drama to the office. I mean, during the time I just thought I had it under control but things sort of spiraled and I lost control of the narrative.’ I find myself rambling and I couldn’t stop. I was hoping that Jackie would jump in and cut me off, but she just stares at me attentively. Collecting all of my rambles before finally opening her mouth.

‘Listen,’ She breathes while slipping her fingers through one another, ‘I did not bring you in here to fire you or scold you. I want to see how you are.’

‘I’m managing.’ I shrug, taken aback by Jackie’s concern. Of course, I never doubted Jackie caring about all of her staff but this is a business. If you make the business look bad, you’re out. ‘Day by day. It is a work in process but I’m fine.’

‘Libby, I know how you feel.’ She stands up and walks over to shut her office door, ‘Believe me I do. Straight out of uni, I nailed an internship at Wright’s magazine. I was overjoyed my first morning going in there. I had walked past those golden doors for years, dreaming of getting in there one day. I finally did. I was a glorified coffee girl but it was enough for me. I had this supervisor, Oliver Mattingly. He was a real piece of work. One day I was working late with Mattingly in order to help him meet his deadline; he got disgustingly handsy.’ She pauses and I thought she was about to be sick.

‘Jackie?’ I say barely above a whisper and she fans me off, wordlessly saying that she’s fine.

‘I was horrified. Of course, I shouted at him at the time but as soon as I got back to my tiny flat I lost it. I never walked back through those golden doors. That’s right, I let some self-entitled ass run me away from my dream job. For years, I hated myself for it. I should’ve reported him. I should’ve told every news camera that would listen. I think that not bringing him down would be my greatest regret. My point is, Libby White – you are brilliant. You are where you are because you earned it. Don’t let him take anything away from you. You hold your head high and know that you are definitely not the only woman or man dealing with something like this. There’s nothing to be ashamed of and definitely do not take this lying down.’

‘Thank you, Jackie.’ I feel that annoying, harsh lump sitting in my chest as I stand up from the seat.

On the drive home, Jackie’s story replays over and over in my head. Especially the you are not the only woman or man dealing with this. Back in Jacobs’ office, he said he saw how his female students looked at him. I wondered if he ever tried to have his way with other girls from class. I practically run out of the Glamour once the clock reads five o’clock. Just as I sit at the table to eat some Thai takeout, Harry’s name flashes on my screen. I answer and wait for the screen to load. Harry’s bright smile flashes onto the screen while he runs his hand through his dark hair. ‘Hey, you.’ He grins happily. ‘How was your first day back at work?’

‘Hi, it was great. I learned a lot.’ I speak, thinking back to Jackie’s confession, ‘How was filming?’

‘Fantastic, I cannot wait for you to see this movie.’ Harry muses, I loved watching him talk about Dunkirk. He was so proud of it already. ‘Going back to classes tomorrow, right?’

‘Right.’

‘It’ll be fine,’ Harry speaks, sensing my nervousness. ‘Call me if you want to talk. I’ll happily make time to just hear your voice.’

‘Have I told how much I love you, Styles?’

‘I love you, White.’

Harry and I talk for an hour longer before he decides to go to bed for his early call time tomorrow morning. It wasn’t long before I was forcing myself out of my car outside the university.

‘Here goes nothing.’
♠ ♠ ♠
Hi everyone! Thank you for reading the latest chapter. Just a quick apology about the lack of updates, I'll make it a priority to update more regularly. Remember that comments or suggestions are always welcomed. Feel free to recommend the story or subscribe if you haven't already. Thanks again! (: