Still the One

CXIII.

Carine wouldn’t explain what she had on Jacobs over the phone, but we did make plans to meet up at Glamour during my lunch break to talk about it. I was up all night, tossing and turning – both for my writing sample for Jackie and my brief phone call with Carine. I get to Glamour, earlier than I thought because Tiffany wasn’t in her usual spot behind her desk. I slip into my office and dive into my writing sample. It felt odd writing something to present to Glamour as I’ve kept my writing and work fairly separate from the start. Glamour’s newest writer Harry’s optimistic words played over and over in my head as I worked harder than I have since my British Literature term paper.

Just emailed you a copy of my sample – think you can read it whenever you get a chance? Jackie has to have it before the end of the day so no rush. – Libby.

Just about to go on set. I’ll read it the moment I get my break – Harry.

I smile at his quick reply before laying my phone back down on my desk. One down, one to go – I think to myself eyeing the clock in front of me. Carine said she would be by a little after her Anthropology lecture. Before I knew it, it was already after noon and I couldn’t stop pacing in front of my doorway. My phone rings and I scurry over to my desk to answer it, ‘Hi Lib – you have a visitor.’ Tiffany chimes and I slip my feet back into my heels and practically run into the lobby.

Carine is laughing with Tiffany when I make it to the front. Carine nods at me affirmatively once I signal her to follow me towards the back. ‘This is quite the set up you have here, Libby.’ She walks around my office before stopping in front of the window to admire the rush of the city. ‘This view is fantastic.’

‘I sort of lucked out.’ I chime, sitting down in one of the spare chairs in my office, ‘I’m hoping that they don’t notice how extremely unworthy I am to have one of the best offices in the building. Feel free to sit down. Do you want to talk in here or maybe go somewhere for coffee?’

‘Here’s fine.’ She shrugs, dropping her purse and sitting down beside me. ‘I didn’t want to believe you.’ Carine admits, turning in the chair to face me. ‘I think the world of Jacobs – or at least I used to.’

‘What happened?’ I question, sliding forward in my chair. I hope that I didn’t seem desperate for information but I was. I needed someone else to corroborate Jacobs actions so we can possibly get him kicked out.

‘Well, as you know, every week a select group of us get together at different places. It’s sort of this glorified book club. Last night, we met at his place for the first time. I’ll admit that I definitely had too much wine but in my defense, I was stressing over my classes. I needed the night out. So, everyone left and I was still behind because my Uber was going incredibly slow. Jacobs asks for help putting away the wine glasses because his girlfriend was in the shower. Of course, I wanted to help so it wouldn’t be so awkward that my ride still hadn’t shown up.’ Carine explains and she looks everywhere but my eyes. I hated that Jacobs managed to make yet another girl feel like I did. The feeling of embarrassment, the feeling of loss of power. It was the worst.

‘Charlie was there?’

‘Yeah, I’m pretty sure that was her name. They were all over each other for majority of the night so that’s why I figured someone as in love as that couldn’t possibly be serial stalking his students.’ Carine continues with a couple of nods, ‘Next thing I know, I’m up against the refrigerator with his hot breath in my face. It was disgusting. I pushed him off of me and he tried to go back in. I tell him no and just how perverted it was; he laughs in my face saying that girls kill to be in my place. I grabbed my jacket and I literally run out of the building and waited for my Uber on the corner.’ Once Carine finishes, she buries her face into her palms. ‘I feel so stupid. Here I was blowing you off yesterday and not even twelve hours later – the same exact thing happens to me.’

‘It’s okay. It took me ages before I realized what exactly was going on. I liked him too, I didn’t want to think that one of my favorite professors could be like that.’

‘I just kept telling myself maybe if I hadn’t been so drunk then maybe, just maybe, I wouldn’t have been in such a-…’

‘No.’ I cut her off and wrap an arm around her, ‘Don’t even finish it. You will drive yourself nuts trying to figure out maybe how things could have been different if you just acted a little different. You are not to blame – he is.’ I urge, feeling as if this entire situation has come full circle. I was the one that needed convincing – now here I am telling Carine the exact same thing that Harry and Jackie told me.

‘Thanks, Libby.’

‘Don’t mention it.’ I smile, eyeing my phone as the screen lights up. I could see from where I sat that it was a new text from Harry.

‘So, I thought about it all night - how do we put an end to Jacobs?’ Carine curiously wonders and I start to think whether or not Mr. Hughes could ignore two stories. Jacobs would probably just insinuate that Carine tried to hit on him because she was drunk. We needed more. Something that couldn’t be ignored or swept under the rug. An army. ‘Should we go to the president?’

‘I tried that and I ended up being the one that was no longer in class. Right now, Jacobs has all his credibility and we need more people to speak out against him. Do you know of anyone else?’

‘They all worship the ground he walks on around there but I’ll ask around definitely. After class tomorrow, I’ll try to tug on a few arms.’

‘Are you sure about going back? To his class?’

‘If I have to be the one to face him just so we can be the ones that take him down, so be it. I’m willing to do whatever it takes honestly.’ Carine assures me, shifting over in the chair. ‘Besides, it’ll be worth it once he’s packing his little brown box of trinkets from his office.’

Carine and I talk a little while longer before she has to head to work and I have to get back to the work waiting on my desk. I grab a muffin from the break room and read Harry text while walking back to my office.

You never cease to amaze me Libby White. When I get home, we are going to celebrate you becoming the newest writer for Glamour – Harry.

Did you really like it or you just being a wonderfully supportive boyfriend? – Libby.

Both but mostly the first – Harry.

A smile plays on my face as I print off my writing sample to leave on Jackie’s desk. She was out for a meeting but she would have it within the next hour. A weight is lifted from my shoulder as I close her office door behind me. Whether I get the promotion or not, I put myself out there and it wasn’t the end of the world – like I thought in the beginning. I couldn’t wait until Jackie let me know what she thought.

Harry’s Point of View

‘Alright, see you boys in the morning.’ Fionn cheers while pushing into his hotel room which was right down the hall from my own.

‘See you.’ I call back as I shut the door behind me.

I pull my sweatshirt over my head and turn the shower water on so I can rush through a shower and talk to Libby. With the of the longest day of my life, there was nothing better than her voice ringing through my ears. Especially that laugh of hers, which was second to only her smile. The moment that I managed to pull my partially damp legs through my sweatpants, I press her name and wait as it rings. ‘Hiiii.’ She singsongs, waving into the camera. ‘I was actually just thinking about you, Styles.’

‘Oh yeah? What were you thinking about?’

‘How much I love you.’ She repositions the camera, I’m guessing she propped it up on my pillow in the bed. ‘How was your day?’

‘I guess I kind of felt a bit bummed earlier. It was this really intense and emotional scene and I just couldn’t quite get it. We had to keep doing it over and over and over. You know me, I started even question the whole reason why I’m out here doing this movie but I just thought of how you were pushing yourself with this sample so I figured I would push myself too. It was actually right after I read your sample, believe it or not.’ I explain, using my arm as a pillow, ‘You are quite the muse, Lib.’

‘I miss you.’ She confesses after a moment of silence with the slightest frown and I could physically feel my chest tighten. ‘I am so very proud of you and I know that you are going to be an amazing Alex.’

‘Thank you, and I miss you too.’ I speak through a yawn, forgetting how soothing her voice is. ‘How was your day?’

‘Well, I may have figured out a way to hold Jacobs accountable.’ She pipes and I immediately sit up in my bed.

‘Wait, what do you mean?’

‘It’s a bit early to talk about it and there are some parts of this that aren’t mine to tell but I am being safe, which I’m sure you’ll probably stress over all night. I’m filling you in because I don’t want you to be left in the dark about it.’

‘You love making me stress, don’t you?’ I tease, settling back down into my pillow.

I didn’t know about this plan of Libby’s just yet but I guess I have to trust her – especially since I’m miles away. She’s more than capable of handling herself, I’ve learnt that the hard way a few times.

‘Just a little.’ She taunts back through the laugh that I needed to hear the most earlier and I finally did. ‘It keeps things exciting, right?’

‘Whatever you say.’

Libby’s Point of View

I wake up the next morning with the classic love-struck school girl smile on my face thanks to Harry. I sent him a quick text before heading into the Liberal Arts building for communications. On my way, I spot Carine coming out of Jacobs lecture. ‘Hey, how’d it go?’ I wonder, carefully eyeing him as he said goodbye to the students slowly filing out of his room.

‘Almost as you would expect. No one knows anything or at least anything they want to admit. I am waiting to hear something from one of my friends, but I will let you know.’ Carine promises, repositioning her purse.

‘Sounds good.’ I chime, quickly retreating before Jacobs could see the two of us talking. I didn’t want to tip him off even in the slightest.

My foot impatiently taps as Dr. Caldicott unenthusiastically lectures. I was dying to get to Glamour to meet with Jackie about her thoughts. I coyly keep eyeing the clock as the loud ticking sounds mock me from across the room. I blabber a goodbye to Max and Christopher once the three of us make it out to the crowded parking lot.

‘Speak of the devil,’ Tiffany smiles cradling a steam mug of her usual herbal tea. ‘Jackie just asked if you were in yet. She told me to send you right back to her office once you got here… Good luck!’

‘Thank you!’ I hold up my cross fingers before heading down the expansive hallway. ‘Hi, Jackie. You wanted to see me?’

‘Yes, come in.’ She waves me in while putting down what appeared to be my writing sample, ‘Libby, I have thought about this a lot since last night and I have read it quite a few times but now I’m just going to come out and say it, I won’t offer you the promotion.’
♠ ♠ ♠
Hiii! Thank you for reading and I hope that you enjoyed the latest chapter of STO. Feel free to leave your thoughts with a comment, subscribe, or recommend the story. Thanks again! (: