Still the One

CXIV.

My mouth feels dry as I try to process what Jackie just said. I wasn’t getting the promotion? ‘But, wait.’ I purse my lips together, feeling that annoying tightening feeling in my chest. It felt like the air was forcefully knocked out of my lungs. ‘Did you not like it?’ I immediately question, taken aback. Not to sound too conceited but I nailed that writing sample. It was hands down some of my best work yet. ‘Was it the topic? I mean, I’ll admit that it was either a hit or a miss but I have plenty of others, Jackie. If you could just give me an hour or so, I could have a brand-new sample on your desk before lunch. Two brand new samples by this afternoon and I won’t let it affect my work.’

‘No,’ Jackie stifles out an amused laugh while shaking her head several times. ‘It was you. Libby, you have been here for a while now and somehow, I have unintentionally taken you for granted. I looked at your sample and you can do really extraordinary things with this brilliant gift of yours. At the end of the day, I do not want to feel like I’m holding you back here – and I definitely do not want you to feel that way either down the road.’ Jackie explains and I thought my nervousness and confusion would fade with an explanation, but they don’t.

‘Jackie, believe me – you have not taken advantage of me. I absolutely love it here, Glamour’s my family at this point.’

‘And we love you just as much but I think that you should at least challenge yourself and explore other potential options. I hope that you don’t mind but I have a close friend in a very high place over at Smithson Publishing and I went ahead and sent him a copy of your sample. He called me within the hour and they want an interview with you as soon as possible.’ Jackie speaks proudly.

‘Smithson?’ I speak curiously, nearly falling out of the tall, leather chair. ‘Are you serious or are you playing some incredibly rude practical joke right now? If you’re joking, I think I may cry.’

‘I can assure you that I am very serious right now. I want you to go. Just try it, alright? If for any reason at all that it isn’t the fit for you, we will happily welcome you back. You can even come back as a full-time writer. It’s essentially a win-win, there is no bad outcome Libby. You lose nothing through it but you can gain so much by just going to the interview.

‘Jackie, I really don’t know what to say or how I possibly could ever thank you for passing my sample along.’ It’s especially hard trying to get your work noticed if you don’t have people with the right connections. I definitely didn’t want to piggyback off of Harry’s name or success but a recommendation from my boss wasn’t something to turn down.

‘You can thank me by simply thinking about it.’ Jackie replies while grabbing one of her bright pink sticky notes and jotting down a set of numbers, ‘Ask for Thomas.’

‘I will, thank you so much again Jackie.’

‘Of course.’

I walk out of Jackie’s office, still unsure about what she just offered. Smithson was right behind Blair’s Publishing – some might even say that they’re better. They work with some of the best authors at home and abroad. Who in their right mind could possibly pass up on something like this. I would love to even contribute in the slightest to their company. But, then again, Glamour is my home. They’re family. Jackie, Tiffany, everyone has always been so nice and welcoming. They’ve shown me how to be a better worker and writer. How would I ever leave Glamour? Calm down, you haven’t even gotten the job yet. I mutter to myself while stepping back into my office. Smithson was on the complete other side of the city, I wondered if their offices had a view like this one. Tiffany scurries in and sits down in one of the chairs with an excited expression on her face.

‘So,’ she singsongs, folding her hands over one another, ‘How’d it go with Jackie? Are we celebrating this weekend?’

‘Well,’ I pause looking at Tiffany’s eager eyes, ‘She actually wants me to go to an interview at Smithson Publishing.’ I mutter, picking at the skin on my thumb nail.

‘Wow,’ Tiffany breathes out in return with several nods, ‘I mean, it would not be the same around here without you but it would be such an amazing opportunity for you. I think if anyone could do it, it’s Libby White.’

‘Thank you, Tiff.’ I smile reaching over to hold her perfectly manicured hand, ‘but I do doubt they could ever have a receptionist like you though.’

‘Nope, I am absolutely one of a kind.’ Tiffany grins, giving my hand several squeezes, ‘If you do go, just come back to visit – okay? Literally all the time. At least twice a week.’

‘You got it.’ I laugh in agreement.

Sooo, I have news. FaceTime tonight? – Libby.

I slip my phone away and decide to get started on my next draft for Jacobs since I didn’t have much to do at work. Once I’m finished for the day, I decide to stop by Whole Foods to throw together a small dinner for one instead of stopping by for more takeout. As I’m cooking dinner, my phone lets out the specific ring that I have set for Harry. I quickly answer and prop the phone up against the bottle of wine. ‘Hi.’ I smile, taking a small sip from my glass and setting it aside.

‘Wine? Does that mean we’re celebrating Glamour’s newest writer?’ Harry muses with a wide smile. From the corner of my eye, I could see Bandit leaping onto hi scratching post. He happily brushing himself against the material, without a care in the world.

‘Not exactly.’ I take another sip before bending over into my purse to grab the number that Jackie gave me, ‘This is for my interview at Smithson Publishing. Jackie gave it to me, she wants me to explore potential options because she doesn’t want to feel like she’s holding me back at Glamour.’ I explain as Harry curiously stares into the camera.

‘That is incredible Lib.’ He congratulates, ‘Are you going to do it?’

‘I don’t know. I mean it’s a great opportunity, of course but I’m perfectly fine where I am right now. You know, why fix something if it’s not broken? It’s kind of why I wanted to talk to you, you always know just what to say and when to say it.’

‘I’m going to have to start charging you White,’ Harry teases while running a large hand over his chin, ‘You know that we know each other very well; so much so that it’s kind of annoying how we’re a constant open book. So, right now I’m feeling like you don’t want to leave where you are because it’s what you’ve come to know and love which isn’t a bad thing. I know how much you love it there and the people are great but I also know that you’re terrified of things changing up. I definitely get that, I’ve went through a lot of changes in this past year as you know.’ He speaks dramatically pointing at his hair, ‘I mean, who would’ve thought that I would be in France right now filming a movie? Completely out of my element on a daily basis. Yeah, it’s scary as hell at first but it’s good in the long run. For you and your career. For as long as I’ve known you, you’ve talked about working your way up through a publishing house and now here you are. They’re calling for you, Lib and I think you owe it to yourself to go.’ I listen as Harry goes on, giving me the push that I needed, ‘How was that?’

‘Perfect. It is exactly what I needed right now.’

‘I’m here all week, folks.’ Harry comments, like all classic comedians. ‘So, what are you making over there?’

‘I got tired of takeout so I decided to make some chicken alfredo.’ I call in return, while turning the stove off. ‘Not to toot my own horn but this smells really good.’

‘I am sick and tired of hotel food. I will be forever grateful if you get on a plane with that right now. I will honestly love you forever.’

‘I would if I could babe.’ I sit down at the table and wait while it cools down, ‘On your next break, I will try and cook absolutely whatever you want.’

‘It cannot come soon enough. I know that you just left not too long ago but I miss the hell out of you.’

‘I miss you.’ I chime in return, ‘I’m sorry but if only you could taste how amazing this is right now. I might just have to make some more tomorrow night.’

‘Go ahead Lib, throw the salt in my wounds.’ He tilts his head back with a loud laugh that made me feel warm all over. ‘You’re killing me over here. Listen, baby – I have a 5AM call time so I’m going to let you go now, okay? I love you.’

‘I love you too.’

‘Call Smithson, Lib.’ He points a finger at me through the camera, ‘I am expecting a full report tomorrow on how it went, got it?’

‘I got it. I will leave a message right now.’

The moment that I hang up with Harry, I grab the sticky note and study the long line of numbers. I dial the numbers one by one slowly and wait as it rings. The longer it rings, the more anxious I felt. ‘Hello, this is Thomas.’ Someone answers catching me by surprise.

‘Hi, Thomas. This is Libby White. I was hoping to set up an interview with you, possibly tomorrow morning?’

‘Libby White, we are very eager to meet you. How’s eight in the morning sound?’

‘It sounds like I will see you at eight in the morning.’

‘See you then, Miss. White.’ With that, the line goes dead.

I wake up bright and early to get ready for my interview. I go through at least ten outfits before I’m finally out of the house. I find Smithson fairly easily, especially since it was the biggest building on the entire street. Just when I thought Glamour was massive. I look up at the building, it had to be around 30 levels high. A doorman comes out to open the tall glass door open for me a genuine smile. ‘Morning, ma’am.’ He speaks, tipping his hat towards me to reveal his balding, gray hair.

‘Good morning. Could you tell me what floor Thomas is on?’

‘Ah, yes.’ He nods, pressing the button to the lift, ‘Mr. Smithson is on the twenty-fifth floor.’

‘Thank you.’ I nod nervously, clutching my bag.

Mr. Smithson? When Jackie said she had a friend in a high place, I had no idea how high. Apparently twenty-five floors high. The golden doors slide open as I mess around with the heart shaped necklace from Harry, hoping it brings me luck.

‘Hello, I’m Caleb – how can I help you today?’ A younger boy sits behind the receptionist’s desk. It was weird not seeing Tiffany. Her desk was bright and full of pastels. Caleb’s desk had few items on it and everything was either black or white.

‘I’m Libby White, here for an interview.’

‘Great, I’ll let Thomas know. Please, have a seat.’

I ease down into the short, leather sofa while fighting off the urge to pick at my freshly polished nails. Before long, a tall, thick-haired man in a really expensive suit extends his hand out to me. ‘Hello, you must be Libby. I’m Thomas Smithson.’

‘Lovely to meet you.’ I return the gesture, wrapping my hand around his.

‘Shall we get started?’

‘Let’s.’

Here we go.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hiii! Just a quick thank you for reading the latest chapter of STO. I hope that you enjoyed it and that you come back to see what happens next! Feel free to leave a comment, subscribe, or recommend the story. Thanks again! (: