Still the One

CXV

Thomas and I spent the better part of an hour talking about our favorite novels. I sit in the fancy, suede chair listening as he goes into detail about the company being in his family for the last three generations. I wanted to ask just how he knew Jackie but I decide against it. ‘Um, Thomas – the design team is about to kill each other over cover ideas.’ The receptionist, Caleb sticks his head into the door with an amused smile. His thick, dark hair was curled evenly over his head. His even darker eyes were almost cartoonishly big. ‘It’s getting pretty nasty in there. I’m sure I saw a pen fly.’

‘Duty calls,’ Thomas stands up as he smooths his tie, ‘Thank you for coming in today, Libby.’

‘It was an honor. Do you have an estimation on when I should hear back?’ I wonder, not bothering to hide my eagerness.

‘You got the job,’ Thomas speaks nonchalantly, ‘Did I not make that clear? I was sold with your writing sample – this was just a chemistry test. When can you start?’

‘How does two weeks from Monday sound?’ I ask in return, trying to give Glamour enough time to find a replacement. ‘Just so I can get things settled.’

‘Sounds like a plan, welcome aboard Libby.’ Thomas excuses himself before disappearing down the wide hall with Caleb right behind him.

I hold back the squeal in my throat until I get out to my car. I grasp the steering wheel letting out an exasperated chant. I look at the time on my phone before rushing to campus for Communications. Before going into the building, I ditch my heels for a pair of white sneakers. As I’m walking in, I could see Carine leaving out of Jacobs’ class. She spots me as she repositions her bag on her shoulder. She runs a hand through her long, silky hair before glancing back over her shoulder once more. ‘Hey, Libby. How’s it going?’

‘It’s going.’ I shrug, ‘How was class? I still can’t tell you how much I applaud you for sitting there right in his face twice a week. You’re braver than I am.’

‘It’s a struggle.’ She agrees with long nod, ‘But hey, it’s worth it right?’

‘Right. Any luck in class?’

‘I’m getting there. It definitely hasn’t been easy trying to get his legion to turn against him.’ She nods her head towards Jacobs who was individually saying bye to all of the students as they walked out one by one. Jacobs eyes meet mine before I have the chance to turn away. He looks curiously from Carine to me and then back again. ‘I better go.’

‘Yeah, me too.’ I mutter as the two of us go our separate ways. Clearly, it was too late.

In communications, I try to listen to Max and Christopher as they try to get me to settle their argument. All I could think about was Jacobs’ face. They way that he looked at me and Carine. It didn’t take long for him to put the two and two together. ‘Libby.’ Max snaps a narrow finger in front of me. ‘Where are you? It’s clearly not in your seat.’

‘I’m sorry, I was just thinking about something.’ I murmur sitting up in my seat, nodding every so often as they continue to their argument. I was relieved when Dr. Caldicott strolled into the room so I could distract myself with something else. The moment that class, is over I dig my keys from the front pocket of my backpack as I’m walking in the hall.

‘Miss. White – a minute.’ Jacobs signals me to follow him into his empty room, ‘It’s about your latest assignment. I have a couple of suggestions.’

‘I’m actually quite busy so,’ I glance around the hall, wondering why no one is actually paying attention the one time I needed them to. Figures. Even Max and Christopher were already on their way out of the Liberal Arts building. ‘Sorry.’

‘Just a quick word of advice – be careful, with the amount of errors you make. You won’t be able to correct them after a while.’ Jacobs’ speaks hauntingly as I continue down the hall. Was he actually threatening me? Game on Jacobs – game on.

I think we should pick up our pace – Libby.

I’m in – Carine.

I give Jacobs one last look as his eyes burn into me from down the hall. I guess it was war. Once I make it to Glamour, Tiffany is waiting by the elevator while cradling her tea. ‘Not too be super creepy but I saw you getting out your car – or is that super creepy?’ She laughs following behind as I walk into my office.

‘Just a tad creepy.’ I let out a laugh of my own as I drop my purse and kick out of my heels. ‘How’s your morning going?’

‘Boring.’ She answers bluntly while leaning against my desk, ‘so tell me am I going to have to start wasting time in someone else’s office pretty soon?’ Tiffany questions as I knew she would. Clearly, she had been waiting all morning just to see how the interview went.

‘I’m afraid so, but you can always come to my office at Smithson and waste time there.’ I suggest, taking in the familiarity of my office. Wondering how I could decorate the one at Smithson – that is if I even get an office. I do get an office, right? Not that I wouldn’t mind sharing a work space with someone, I just have a lot of essentials around me at all times while at work.

‘You know Smithson is on the other side of town.’ She looks at me with a weak smile, ‘why did you have to be so great? We’ve had plenty of people come in and out of those doors but none like you, Libby White.’

‘Don’t make me cry just yet – save that for the going away party.’ I stifle out a laugh, getting just as emotional. ‘I’m still here for two more weeks.’

‘Have you told Jackie yet?’

‘Not yet.’ I intertwine my fingers, eyeing the picture of Harry and I on my desk. ‘I guess I should now.’

‘You and me are getting lunch today and every single day for the next two weeks.’ Tiffany demands as I slip back into my heels to go down the hall.

My hand stops short at Jackie’s door as I hear her talking to someone. I knew the voice but I couldn’t make it out. It sounded so familiar. I decide to wait outside of her door until she’s finished. The door slowly eases open after a while and Daniel, my ex throws his jacket over his shoulder as he says goodbye to his mom. ‘Libby, hey – long time.’ He wraps a hand over the nape of his neck. ‘How have you been?’

‘Good, good.’ I rock awkwardly side to side, ‘and you?’

‘Same old really.’ I could tell that he was just as uncomfortable as I was. Why was running into your ex always so uncomfortable? Why can’t people just say hello or whatever generic greeting they have in mind – without the uncomfortable and awkward pauses. ‘I’m sure you want to see my mom so I’ll just let you get to it.’

‘I still can’t believe that you never told me your mom was Jackie Woodworth.’ I call after him causing him to turn with a genuine smile. ‘I mean you did tell me that you loved me.’

‘In defense, you never gave me the chance. Things didn’t last as long as I wanted, did they? It was nothing personal though – I tend to see if someone likes me for me and not who my mom is.’ Daniel explains, less uncomfortable. He keeps his hands shoved down into the back pockets of his tight jeans, ‘I would’ve introduced you though. I knew during the time that you liked me, for me.’

‘Good seeing you.’

‘You too, Lib.’

I slip into Jackie’s office and take one of the seats in front of her desk. She holds up a narrow finger towards me with a smile as she continues slapping her fingers against her keyboard. ‘Sorry, I’m trying to set up a meeting and everyone’s being difficult.’

‘It’s no rush, I just wanted to talk to you about my interview at Smithson. I had it this morning and I’m going to take the job.’

‘I know,’ She muses pushing aside her keyboard to grab her coffee, ‘Well I didn’t know but I did have a hunch. I knew that you would call and I knew that they would just adore you the same way that I do. It was actually a no-brainer.’

‘Really, I can’t thank you enough for giving that push and making Glamour such an amazing place to work for this long. I can only hope that I can be you one day.’

‘Stop.’ She grabs a hold of my hand from across the table, ‘It’s been a pleasure working beside you and getting to know you.’

Jackie gives me the task of finding my replacement and then training that person before I leave. I still had my usual work on top of that. I grab a thick stack of applicants from the file room and spread them all out over my desk. I lose myself in dozens of names and resumes for hours before Tiffany is hovering in the doorway with her purse resting in the crook over her arm. I don’t waste much time grabbing my own and following her out of the building. I needed the break.

Harry’s Point of View

‘Fantastic work today, everyone!’ Dave, our producer cheered as Christopher Nolan himself applauded in the background. I still couldn’t wrap my head around it. ‘That’s gonna do it for Harry, Fionn, and Jack for today. Be back on set tomorrow at 7AM.’

7AM sounded fantastic compared to the 4AM call times I got so far. I happily make my way to wardrobe to put my clothes and gear up for tonight. As I’m getting the fake oil cleaned from my face I could see a few texts from Libby. I smile to myself as I unlock my phone and read the strand of messages. She tells me she had news, I couldn’t wait to get to the hotel and hear about it. ‘Thank you!’ I call out pulling my sweatshirt over my head and grabbing the duffle bag by my feet.

Calling you on facetime in thirty minutes – Harry.

I send the quick reply before getting into the usual SUV. I hide behind the overly tinted windows as paparazzi run alongside the car with thousands of flashes going off every second. Try getting through all of these layers of tint. I stifle out a laugh to myself directing my attention back to my phone. When I get to the hotel, I stop for a few new faces that waited near the entrance. I make sure everyone’s happy with their autographs or selfies before retreating to the hotel. In the time that it took me to get here, Libby sent back a text saying okay. I rush through a hot shower and throw on a pair of sweats before diving down into the soft hotel sheets. Libby answers a couple of seconds after I press her name. Always so prompt. She waves into the camera messing around with her hair in the distance. She was so far. Figuratively and literally. She asks me about my day but all I could do was spout of some impersonal lines about being on set. I couldn’t help it. I just loved watching her. She’s so endearing. It’s all I can do. Just get lost in her voice and her movements.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hi everyone! Thank you for reading the latest chapter. I hope that you enjoyed it; feel free to leave a comment or suggestion, subscribe, or recommend the story! Thanks again (: