Still the One

CXVI.

We already found my replacement. Somehow it was quicker and easier than I thought. I guess not having a replacement made it all feel less real. The two weeks flew by before I had the chance to blink. A pinch of jealousy flooded over me as my replacement, Marin, filled my office with various photos and books. I was the one who told her to go ahead and get settled in. Why was I surprised when she actually did? An annoying lump rests in my throat as I carefully toss the picture of Harry and I down into my box. ‘Libby, if this is awkward – I can really wait until Monday to set up the office.’ Marin insists, coming to a pause at the bookcase, ‘I don’t want to intrude, especially on your last day.’

‘Oh, please.’ I stifle out a genuine laugh as I finish loading my box, ‘This is your office now and I want you to feel comfortable in it. I’m just horrible at the whole leaving process.’

‘Aren’t we all?’ Marin laughs as she neatly stacks her books on the shelf.

‘Libby, could I borrow you for a moment? As you’re leaving, we need you to fill out some papers for human resources.’ Tiffany hovers in the doorway with a beige folder in her hands. ‘It shouldn’t take long.’

‘Alright, I’ll be right there.’ I nod in return glancing around the office once more. It was almost unrecognizable. I still remember the first day that I stepped foot into this office. Bright eyed and bushy-tailed. I was amazed by how big it was, especially for just an intern. I couldn’t believe that I was actually able to work alongside some of the greatest minds at Glamour.

I follow Tiffany down the empty, wide hall back into the employee break room to see all of my coworkers with colorful party hats on their heads. Even Jackie. A bright pink banner hung above their heads wishing me luck at Smithson. A cake, probably too big, sat on the table with a picture of me in my office many months ago. They even opted to get a fancy bottle of champagne. I’m guessing it was Jackie’s idea. ‘Surprise!’

‘You guys.’ I blurt, placing a hand over my mouth as Tiffany places a glass of champagne in my free hand. ‘Thank you all so much for this.’

‘Of course, Libby.’ Jackie muses wrapping her toned arms around me, ‘We are so thankful to have had you be a part of our family for this long. You have been a true asset, worker, and friend that we have easily began to love and cherish. I know that I am speaking for everyone in this room by saying that those over at Smithson are some of the luckiest people in the world to be getting Libby White. It has been a pleasure to get to know you, watch you grow, and work alongside you. I know that you are going to go on a shine remarkably in whatever you do next, we are all looking forward to it. We know that you will go on to make Glamour proud through your diligence, resilience, and grace.’

‘Thank you, again.’ I wipe the tear that traveled down my cheek, ‘I have learned so much from each and every one of you. I will take the lessons that you’ve taught me on to my next venture, where I’m sure they’ll do me well. I have learned from the best of the best. Change is often hard and terrifying, I think that it can be that much more hard and terrifying when you’re leaving a place that you actually like. There wasn’t a day that I felt like I was at work here, I had some of the most amazing times right here in this office. That is because of all of you. I hope that you don’t change the codes as soon as I leave because I will be back twice a week to visit.’

‘We got you something to hang in your new office.’ Tiffany uses the back of her hand to remove the tears from her face. ‘So you can think of us.’

I carefully pull the large frame out of the bag to see a group photo of the entire staff at the revamp party. I couldn’t wait to hang it up. ‘I love it you guys, thank you so much.’ Before I knew it, it was five o’clock – the end of the day. Tiffany makes it her sole mission to walk me out to my car, cradling my box in her arms. ‘You know that this makes saying goodbye that much harder, right?’ I stifle out a laugh as I lean against m car.

‘I know.’ She muses, ‘I guess if goodbye hurts this much, it must’ve been something special.’

‘It is something special.’ I conclude, hugging her once more before getting into my car to head home.

My chest felt heavy the further I get away from Glamour. It would feel odd not to drive that way anymore in the morning. It would feel odd to not have mini conversations with Tiffany throughout the day or seeing Jackie’s head poke into the door as she makes her hourly rounds. The Glamour sign hung perfectly in my rearview mirror. Goodbye. When I make it to the house, the lights are on – I knew that I turned them off. I triple-checked as I was leaving. ‘Hello?’ I call out, just like in all of those cliché scenes in every horror movie ever made.

‘Hello.’ Harry repeats at the top of the stairs with his arms wide open to match the even wider smile on his face. ‘It’s only me.’

‘Harry!’ I squeal, practically tripping over my own feet as I raced to meet him halfway on the staircase, ‘what on earth are you doing here?’

‘Oh, do you want me to leave?’ He taunts, using his fingers to lift my chin.

‘You know what I meant.’ I bury my face into his bare chest, inhaling his cologne and embracing his warmth. His skin was soft. Just like always. I run my fingers along the dark designs of ink on his arm. ‘I definitely wasn’t expecting you.’

‘I finished my scenes so when they told me that I was done for now, I raced to the airport. I just wanted to get back to my favorite person. I have missed you so, so much, Libby White.’

‘I guess that I’ve missed you a little. Just a tiny bit.’

‘Liar.’ Harry tilts his head back with his loud, genuine laugh, ‘You nearly fell on your ass trying to get up here.’ He grabs a hold of my face with his thumb and index finger before pressing his lips to mine.

Without warning, Harry lifts me into the air and begins back pedaling to the room. I secure myself with my legs wrapped around his waist and my arms around his neck. Our lips never parting. Like it hasn’t been He smiles into the kiss before carefully easing down into the bed. ‘I still have my work clothes on.’ I point out briefly pulling away from him, ‘I sat in the break room chair. Harry, germs.’

‘God, I cannot tell you how much I have missed you.’ He eyes me with amusement due to my worry before leaving a trail of rushed, hot kisses against my skin.

‘Well, you can show me.’ I whisper, losing my fingers in his thick, dark hair.

Harry’s chest rises before falling, then again, and again. I tried to count how many times his chest went in and out as I came down from my own adrenaline high. He catches my stare before pulling me even closer to him. ‘I love you.’

‘I love you, too.’

‘Tell me all about your day. I want to hear it all. Start to finish. Don’t leave any of the details out.’ He rambles as he uses a hand to prop himself up. ‘Today was your last day at work wasn’t it? How was that?’

‘It was, different – I didn’t really hit me that I was actually leaving until my replacement started decorating the office with all of her stuff. We had a going away party, Tiffany was a mess which of course made me a mess. I start Smithson on Monday so--…’ I look over to see Harry’s head now fully on his pillow and his eyes closed. I smile to myself before rolling from the bed to turn out the light.

‘Lib?’ He calls as I’m checking in on Bandit, who couldn’t care less about my presence. I leave the theater room’s door open, just because he likes to escape in there at night before heading back up the stairs, ‘baby?’ My stomach fluttered with butterflies hearing Harry’s voice just a few feet away. ‘I’m sorry for falling asleep on you. I guess I forgot just how soothing your voice is.’

‘Don’t apologize,’ I insist, happily falling into his arms in the darkness, ‘I’m just happy that you’re here.’

The next morning, Harry’s on the couch with his guitar resting beside him as he scribbled in his usual brown journal. His short brown hair was sprawled cutely over his head as he hummed to himself. He was so into his writing that he didn’t notice as I stood behind him before wrapping my arms around his neck. ‘Good morning baby.’ He laughs turning to face me. ‘How’d you sleep?’

‘I slept great, actually. I almost got used to sleeping alone up there. I love it when you’re here.’

‘I love being here – what do you say to some breakfast?’

‘I say I’m starving. Let me go get ready.’

‘Alright, I’m gonna finish this up so take your time.’

‘Can I hear it?’ I rock back and forth on the heels of my feet eagerly.

‘No, not yet. You know it has to be perfect.’ He coyly covers his words with his arm. ‘You will definitely be the first one when it’s done.’

‘Such a perfectionist.’

I head upstairs and pull my phone from its charger before plopping down onto the bed. I skim through the list of notifications from Instagram and Twitter before spotting a text message from Carine. I purse my lips and glance over my shoulder to see if Harry was making his way up the stairs.

I think I have something.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hiii! I hope that you enjoyed the latest chapter. Feel free to leave your thoughts, recommend the story, and subscribe if you haven't already. Thank you! (: