Still the One

CXVII.

What is it? – Libby.

I use my thumbs faster than ever before and impatiently wait for delivered to show up beneath the text. What could she have? I knew that I would be racking my brain around it until I got to see Carine. She never sends a reply. When I finish with my shower, Harry’s sitting on the bed as he stuffs his feet down into his black Vans. ‘I know that I said take your time but I’m starving.’ He complains with a smile playing on his lips. ‘I might have to leave you.’

‘You wouldn’t dare.’ I fight back from the closet, searching for something to put on.

‘Hey, I’ve been gone for months and craving Greenwald’s. I love you but if it comes down between my girlfriend and those banana coconut pancakes, I’m going with the pancakes.’ Harry hovers in the doorway with his arms folded across one another, ‘don’t make me choose.’

‘I’m glad that I know if it came down to it, you would choose Greenwald’s.’ I speak, pretending to be offended as I rush into my jeans and pull my black, thin-strapped top over my head.

‘On the bright side, you’re a close second.’ With that, Harry’s footsteps get further and further away as he travels down the stairs.

I slide my sandals on and throw my bag over my shoulder, only to see Harry sitting on the sofa with his guitar over his legs as he leaned against the soft material. ‘I knew that you could never leave me.’ I smirk bending over to touch Bandit’s smooth fur.

‘Watch me.’ Harry murmurs before running towards the front door and pressing the alarm for the security system.

Before I could say goodbye to Bandit, Harry’s Range Rover was purring to life. He flashes a smile from behind the tint as I tug on the door’s handle. ‘Harry!’ I whine as the car jerks slightly forward.

‘I’m sorry. I’m only joking.’ He unlocks the door and watches with amusement as I climb into the seat. ‘But you did have a cute little pout going on.’

‘You’re so annoying.’ I laugh fastening my seatbelt.

In the car, Harry tells me about something that happened on set for the last day of filming but all I could do is absentmindedly nod along. I couldn’t get Carine’s text out of my head. The term was about to end, and I wouldn’t have to see the university let alone Jacobs ever again. I could just wait him out and never look back. Or I could help make sure he never tries it again with anyone else. We deserve better from our professors, from our president, from our institution. ‘Ahem,’ Harry clears his throat, catching my attention. His green eyes are focused on me as he holds up a narrow finger towards Greenwald’s. I’m guessing we had been sitting there for a while. ‘You okay?’

‘Yeah, just thinking.’ I shrug, plastering a smile on my face before grabbing my purse from the floor. ‘Ready to eat?’

‘Hang on,’ Harry calls from behind me as he rushes to hold the door open for me, ‘Do you want to talk about what’s on that beautiful mind of yours? Maybe I could be of some assistance.’ He wonders as he studies the familiar board in front of us. ‘If not, I’m quite the listener.’

‘No, it’s fine.’ I slip my fingers through the wide spaces of his, ‘I appreciate it so much but I’m just waiting to hear back from someone and I’m a little anxious about it.’

‘Who? Smithson? I thought they already gave you the job, didn’t they?’ Harry furrows his dark eyebrows as he gives me all his attention.

‘No, not Smithson. Just someone.’

Harry doesn’t say anything else, thanks to worker calling us up to the counter. He orders his favorite pancakes as I opt for their famous waffles. As we’re waiting for our food, I could feel Harry’s eyes curiously burning into me. I desperately want to sink down into the seat to avoid his stare. I knew he was reading me like an open book. Picking apart every little twitch in my face. I hold back my relieved exhale once the waitress places our food in front of us. The only sound at the table was our metal utensils scrapping against the glass plate. I hated it.

‘I’m sorry.’ I chime setting down my fork to finally meet his eyes. A satisfied expression slowly forms on his face as he leans forward to grab a hold of my hand.

‘I’m sorry,’ he repeats, shaking his head several times. ‘I shouldn’t be pushing. When you’re ready, you’ll let me know.’

‘You’re not, don’t apologize. It’s just this thing with Jacobs.’ I start, and he tenses up instantly, ‘I met another girl and she said he tried something similar with her. I figured that if I could get enough people behind me on this, he would be the one to leave. I hate to think that the president will just sweep it all under some massive rug and let him keep preying on innocent students.’

‘As you know, I’m in awe of you every single day but today, I’m on the floor. I can’t tell you how much I admire you and your way of handling this. Wherever this may lead, I’m right behind you.’ Harry gives my hand a tight squeeze before bringing it to his lips.

‘Really?’ I smile, feeling like the biggest weight was off my shoulders, ‘I’m sorry, I should’ve filled you in especially after this entire thing, but I wanted to be sure in what I wanted from it.’

‘Don’t.’ He pulls my hand up to his mouth yet again. ‘I get it.’

At home, Harry’s diving back into his writing while I finish up a project for communications. His hums and mutters flow throughout the house, giving me butterflies. I just loved the sound of his voice. I admire him as he pulls his lip between his teeth and harshly scratches out some of his lines. ‘Your staring is making me nervous.’ He scrunches his nose to face me.

‘Fine, fine. I won’t stare.’ I cave, pretending to be busy on my laptop even though I had submitted the assignment online ten minutes ago. ‘I’ll just go upstairs and try to figure out something to wear for my first day at Smithson.’

‘I wouldn’t object to you running these by me, you know so I can help you out. Strictly work-related.’ A sly smile forms on his face as he sticks his pen behind his ear. ‘If you want.’

‘I will narrow it down and show you some of the best ones.’

Harry’s Point of View

I knew that I wasn’t on that much of a timeline for my debut album, but I wanted to put it out towards the beginning of May, so I could be out touring towards the end of the year. Also, because I was dying to ease the fans anticipation. In the distance, I could hear Libby fumbling around in her closet. Probably making the biggest mess known to man. I keep eyeing the stairs, waiting to catch a glimpse of her already. Finally, her heels meet the hardwood flooring and I completely turn around on the couch. ‘So,’ she speaks nervously, giving me a few twirls. ‘How’s this one?’

She was dressed in a navy dress that hugged the curves of her body in the best way. ‘I mean, I’ve been looking for an excuse to wear it, right?’

‘Uh huh.’ I cough out with a goofy nod. ‘It looks great, you look amazing.’ I wanted to tell her this is the one but if I do, she won’t feel the need to come back down those steps even more. ‘What about that black one?’

‘The one I wore for my first day at Glamour?’ She questions putting her fingers under her chin as if she’s envisioning it already. ‘I do love that dress.’

‘I forget what it looks like actually. I might need a refresher.’

‘Coming right up.’

I watch her as she makes her way up the stairs. A gulp forms in the base of my throat as her hips move from side to side. It felt like ages before she came back down. I swear she was moving in slow motion like in some cheesy movie. Everything around me just stopped. A living, breathing angel. ‘She’s an angel.’ I mutter to myself and jot it down on a clean piece of paper. ‘Only angel. She’s an angel.’

‘What do you think?’

‘My only angel.’ I announce feeling like I was out of my rut.

‘What?’ She speaks nervously running her hands over the material of her dress.

‘I think I have a song for the album.’ I immediately start perfecting the chorus before thinking about the bridge. I could always piece together the verses last. ‘You look incredible by the way. Definitely that one.’

Libby’s Point of View

On Monday, I practically ran into the building before communications just to meet up with Carine. I spot her on one of the nearby benches with about five other girls. I recognized one or two from class. Carine rushes up to me before I could make it to the bench. ‘I have other stories.’ She gestures, ‘some of them are hesitant especially since Harry Styles girlfriend is at the forefront of it all. I don’t think that they’re completely ready to have their lives picked apart by the world.’

‘I want to talk to them.’ I speak, readjusting my bag on my shoulder. I don’t bother waiting for Carine before sitting down on the floor in front of them. ‘Hi.’ I awkwardly speak setting my bag aside, ‘Carine just told me about the hesitation you guys have and I understand it. I definitely get it. I didn’t want to talk about it or explain it to anyone when it first happened. Which is why when it was put out for the entire world, without my permission, I lost it. I felt ashamed, taken advantage of, I was also in denial. I thought that if I didn’t talk about it, I can ignore it and possibly move on from it. I want to tell you ladies the same thing that people told me. You are not at fault for what he did. You are also not alone, us sitting together just proves that even more. I am not going to force anyone in saying anything until they are ready. The fact that you’re here is more than I could have ever asked for honestly. If you don’t mind, I would love to hear your stories. Of course, not here. If you’re willing, I would love for all of you to come to my house tomorrow afternoon just so we can talk and be there for one another.’ My chest feels tight with emotion as I plead my case. It felt surreal talking about something so vulnerable to a group of strangers. ‘I now have to go to class, but Carine has my number, so if anyone wants to drop by, I will be happy to have you.’

I don’t give them a chance to say no to my face before scurrying to communications. I was thankful that Max and Christopher were there to keep my mind off of things. The moment that class is over, I decide to use the ladies room as a changing room to head to Smithson. I grab my box full of photos and desk trinkets before slipping through the golden elevator doors. I stare at my reflection, feeling completely out of my league. I was really going to be working side-by-side with Thomas Smithson. You can do this. Caleb is the first face I see once the doors open.

‘Libby, we’re so glad you’re here. Thomas would’ve been here to meet you for your first day, but he’s booked wall to wall with meetings. I’m his stand in.’ He beams brightly, his extremely white teeth looked even whiter against his dark skin. ‘How about I show you to your office and then introduce you to the crew?’

‘Sounds great.’ I nod as he comes around the circular desk and grabs my box from my hands. Here we go.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hiii! I hope that you enjoyed the latest chapter of Still the One and that you continue to follow along with the story. Feel free to leave a comment, subscribe, and recommend the story if you haven't already. Thanks so much everyone!