Still the One

CXVIII.

I trail behind Caleb as he snakes in and out of offices, introducing me to the entire staff. I knew that I would forget the train of names in a matter of minutes. Everyone seemed friendly enough. They seemed genuinely happy. I watch as they huddle into small groups, working on different ideas together. ‘Since you’re a part of the editorial team, your office will be towards the back here. The walk can be a little annoying but when you’re deep into hour five of a single manuscript, you’re gonna appreciate the quiet.’

‘Quiet sounds good.’ I interlock my fingers nervously, feeling out of my league. I knew that I spent the last four years working on my English degree and in just a few short weeks, I would have the paper to show for it – I didn’t feel like I deserved to be with such esteemed people. Just yet.

‘I heard that the offices over at Glamour were pretty amazing so I hope that we don’t disappoint too much.’ Caleb chimes, shifting my box over into one arm to push open the glass door.

In the middle room sat an expansive white desk, accompanied by an oversized black chair that smelled like a new car. The front wall of the office was replaced with long, sheets of glass, exposing it to the rest of the offices. ‘This is incredible. I definitely think you sold the offices short.’ I gush, looking down at the crowded streets of North London.

‘I’m glad you like it. Our I.T. guy should be here shortly to get you set up within the system and I’ll be right at the front if you need anything. Everyone around here doesn’t mind helping for any reason. Please do not be afraid to ask.’

‘Thank you so much.’ I grab my box to set it down on the desk along with my laptop.

‘Of course, welcome to Smithson.’ With a wave, Caleb makes his way back down the maze of a hallway.

I sink down in the chair, resisting the urge to pinch my own arm. I grab up the picture of the Glamour staff to prop it up one of the white built ins. A picture of Harry and I is sitting right next to my laptop. I spend my first hour flipping through employee’s manual to try to learn the ins and outs of Smithson. I spot Caleb making his way back down the hall with a bright bouquet of red roses in a rose gold vase. ‘These just came for you.’

‘Thank you, again.’ I nervously place the vase down onto the desk, moving my laptop aside.

Here’s to your first day – H

The first day went by faster than I thought. I spent most of my time, with people coming in and out of the office to see how everything was going. I wanted to know what made them all so happy. Not that people at Glamour weren’t – this was happy happy. I almost felt guilty for not being as happy as them. It was the nerves.



‘Babe.’ Harry calls out from the couch. He had been there so long that there a solid indention from his body. ‘You’ve been staring out that door since you’ve been home.’ I mean, I guess he wasn’t lying. The moment I left work, I was checking the monitor for Carine and the girls. I was hoping that our conversation in the hallway convinced them enough to hear me out further. I glance back at Harry and he slides over on the couch, the material slowly taking back its original shape. ‘C’mere.’ I make my way towards him and fall into his arms. He smiles pleased before pressing his lips against my temple. My head rises and falls just as his chest does. I suddenly felt less anxious, just being his in arms.

‘Harry, what if they don’t show up?’ I inquire, sneaking my eyes towards the monitor once again.

‘Well, I’m sure you will think of something else with that mind of yours. You have done more than anyone could have ever asked. If they don’t show up, we will try another route.’ I purse my lips, allowing Harry to comfort me. His fingers dance up and down my back as he slightly hums to himself, keeping his eyes on the TV.

The gate’s buzzer goes off catching my full attention. I practically jump off of Harry to press the button, opening the gate. Harry quietly follows me to the door after stuffing his feet down into his black Vans to let in the girls. Carine led the way with three of the girls from yesterday behind her. ‘Hello,’ Harry speaks first and I’m glad. ‘Thank you so much for being here with Libby, we both appreciate it. I know that I speak for the two of us, when I say it means a lot. I am going to get out of your way now ladies, but feel free to make yourselves at home.’ He grabs up his car keys and guitar before leaving a kiss on my cheek. ‘See you in a bit.’ He murmurs, slipping out the front door.

‘I hope you’re hungry, I ordered pizza.’

‘Starving.’ Carine cheers with a supportive smile, ‘Which way?’

‘Right here.’ I open the boxes on the kitchen table and grab plates from the cabinet. Of course, Harry already snuck three slices for himself. Typical. ‘Like I said on campus, I am not asking any of you to do anything that you’re not comfortable with. I’m just happy that you’re here.’

‘Carine told us how much you’ve been a help for her,’ The first girl speaks up, ‘she said that it helps to talk about it with other people in similar situations. I know that this is already pretty publicized, and I don’t fault you for that but I’m sure you get our hesitation. I mean, Harry Styles just walked through the living room. Of course, this will be on every channel and every newspaper.’

‘Right.’ I nod, picking bits of pepperoni from my slice, suddenly it was the most interesting thing in the world. The fingers shine with the grease residue. ‘I definitely don’t fault you guys for not wanting to put yourselves out there for further unwarranted judgment.’

‘No, Libby.’ Tessa shakes her several times with a smile forming on her face, ‘In her own drawn out way, Jade’s saying that we’ll stand with you.’

‘Really?’ I blink at all of the faces in front of me, ‘Only if you’re all 100% comfortable with it.’

‘You made a convincing case yesterday.’ Carine nods in between bites. ‘We’re all in.’

‘I actually had an idea.’ Tessa slides forward in her chair, grabbing another slice of pizza. ‘We should print out a petition about getting Jacobs removed and have people sign it. The president can’t deny his body of students for too long.’

For majority of the night we bounce ideas off of each other over empty boxes of pizza. Strangely enough, I felt connected to a group of people that I couldn’t pick out of a lineup 48 hours ago. ‘You know I used to think the world of him,’ Lizzie lets out a stifled laugh, ‘He turned out to be creep. He actually tried to feel me up in his office. Told me that he could see how much I wanted him.’

The room goes silent and I wondered if they all returned to the dark place in the mind where Jacobs grossly invaded their lives. I did the same. A chill eases down my spine just enough to make me shiver over the thought. ‘We cannot let him get away with any of this.’ Carine chimes and we all agree, raising our cups into the air.

After printing out several petitions, they each take their own before filing out of the house with murmured goodnights. Not too long later, Harry strolls through the door dropping his guitar against the couch and shaking out of his jacket. ‘How’d everything go?’

‘Much better than I could have hoped for.’ I snuggle against his open arm and place the petition in his hands. ‘These will be circulating the campus this week.’

His green eyes gloss over the blank lines before grabbing a pen from his brown journal. I watch as he sloppily jots his name down on the first line with a proud smile. ‘There’s your first signature.’

‘Thank you.’ I wrap my arms around his torso, feeling his warmth. ‘I love you, Styles.’

‘I love you.’ He repeats, slipping his fingers through mine.

After a hot shower, I collapse in the bed beside Harry. He absentmindedly runs his fingers through his hair, studying the lines of words in his journal. He pulls his lip in between his teeth and scratches out a fresh line of ink. I decide to stop staring before he could call me out on it. Instead, I pull my laptop onto my legs and decide to work on a new story that I’ve been playing with. I smile at the silence. We didn’t have to say anything. His breathing in the background is enough for me. He silently places a hand on my leg and I knew it was enough for him too.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hi everyone! Thank you so much for taking the time to read STO! I hope that you enjoyed the long overdue chapter of Still the One. I've been debating with myself if I should continue with it as well as my other work. If you guys are still interested, I will happily take the time to sit down and continue to push out new material, hopefully on a weekly basis. If you don't mind, feel free to leave a comment saying that you still have a genuine interest in Libby and Harry, I would greatly appreciate it. Also, feel free to subscribe or recommend the story if you haven't already. Thanks again everyone xx