Still the One

CXXI.

‘I trust that you can go out the same way that you came in.’ Victor speaks, not even bothering to look up at me as he jabs at the remote, quickly going from channel to channel. He reminded me of Harry. How could anyone possibly see what was on going that fast? ‘Have a good day, Miss. White.’

‘Couldn’t you have said all of this on the phone?’ I scoff, repositioning the bag on my shoulder. ‘Or did you just want to see the look on my face when you spat in it?’

‘Don’t take everything so personal. In your line of business, I suggest that you start getting comfortable with the word no.’

‘Have a good day, Mr. Raines.’ I mutter, walking out of the house without looking back.

I stand against the driver’s door, shuffling my phone from one hand to the other, needing someone to vent to. Harry said that he would be in the studio all day. I didn’t want to tear him away from that to complain about a difficult writer. Thomas did say that there’s help around Smithson whenever you need it. Why did I have to be the one to be paired with Raines. Was this some test that they give to the new person? Why are you complaining? I’m sure there are plenty of writers and editors who would love to have their foot in the door at Smithson. Are you really not going to give it your all before going back to pout in your office? I throw back my shoulders and let myself into Raines’ house once again. Victor eyes me with raised eyebrows.

‘You’re back. Did you forget something?’

‘I did actually,’ I nod dropping my purse near my feet, ‘I forgot how I’ve always wanted to work at a place like Smithson. I think you were wrong earlier, in this field, you do not take no for an answer. If every writer just stopped after their first no, we probably wouldn’t have a single piece of work to read.’ With that, I sit down in one of the chairs. It slightly shifts from the new weight. ‘You have something great here and I think people will love it. I just have a few notes. I also brought an extra copy of the manuscript if you want to follow along or you can sit there and chug another beer while I read them out.’

I extend the copy out to him and he reluctantly takes it with a huff of his breath. He wordlessly grabs a pair of reading glasses from the front pocket of his plaid shirt and puts them on. I went through my short list of suggestions and I couldn’t tell if Victor was listening or not. Every so often he would mutter something under his breath. When I’m finished he hands back the manuscript before walking towards the kitchen. ‘I’m not sure I’ll be needing that again, Miss. White. I have no interest in sharing my work and even continuing the story, but I did feel somewhat guilty that you made the long trip. Now if you’ll excuse me, I have some very exciting tuna salad waiting for me.’

I decide to leave Victor alone for the day, but I leave the manuscript behind. Hoping that it would motivate him. Thomas saying that Victor needed a slight push was an understatement. He needed a shove. A good forceful but loving shove. Maybe that wouldn’t even be enough. ‘Hey Libby, how was lunch?’ Caleb questions as I step off the elevator.

‘Interesting.’ I manage to get out as I’m scurrying back down the hall to find the folder on Victor. I needed to get email address listed. Maybe his ex-wife would have some pointers that I could borrow. I send a quick email before flipping through the remarks on the manuscript.

‘You’re back.’ Thomas chimes in the doorway, ‘I was doing a walkthrough and saw your office was empty. How was your meeting with Raines?’

‘Your note was a bit of an understatement.’ I stifle out an exhausted laugh, ‘He’s definitely, difficult. I’m reaching out to someone who knows him the best to figure out a different angle.’

‘Taking some initiative, I like it.’ He nods attentively, ‘I get that this being your first actual assignment that it can be challenging. If I didn’t think that you could not handle it, you would not be in that seat. Jackie spoke very highly of you, says that she would’ve been lost half the time without you.’

‘Jackie’s being incredibly modest. She could run that place with her eyes closed and her hands tied behind her back.’

‘She could run the world with her eyes closed and hands tied behind her back.’ Thomas corrects with the slightest smile. ‘Still, if she thinks so much of you, you’re clearly doing something right.’

‘I never heard how the two of you know each other.’

‘We dated for a year or two.’ Thomas shrugs before turning on his heel and heading back down the hall before I could ask another question.

Thomas and Jackie? Small world. Every few minutes I found myself refreshing my email, aching for a reply from Victor’s ex. At the end of the day, I slip my laptop down into my bag to go home. I pull into the driveway to see Harry’s car was still gone. He clearly wasn’t joking about locking himself in the studio today for making up for lost time yesterday. I take his absence and decide to make dinner for the two of us. He had the cabinets stocked with every pasta and side dish imaginable. Various meats were neatly stacked on the shelves in the fridge. I decide to play it safe and stick to what I know with grilled chicken and my dad’s special rice. I make sure to follow the long, detailed text to a T. After grabbing a bottle of wine, I pour myself a glass and pull out my laptop. Finally – a new message from Victor’s ex-wife.

Miss White, I genuinely apologize that the meeting did not go as planned, for neither you or I. I hoped that Smithson could help Victor. He has always been a passionate writer who never really got the recognition that he deserved. I don’t wish to go into full detail but after our divorce, Victor locked himself away with nothing more than an endless trail of beer cans. I still believe that this is exactly what Victor needs to relight his unique spark. If you would like to discuss this further in person, please, feel free to stop by my office at Lynne and Dunham. I’m looking forward to hearing from – or seeing you soon. – Lisa Raines.

My fingers glide across the set of keys to my laptop, telling Lisa I would stop by at the law office during lunch tomorrow. I reread my response as a pair of arms making their way around my waist. ‘You’re really into that screen. You didn’t even hear me come in.’ Harry taunts, his mouth close enough to my ear to send shivers down my spine. His cologne instantly filling the air.

‘Hi, I was just sending this email.’ I smile, giving it one last onceover before hitting send. ‘How was your day?’

‘Good, I managed to write two songs. I’m not sure they’ll ever hear the light of day but it’s a start.’ He presses his lips to mine, leaving them there for what felt like hours. But I wasn’t complaining. His slight signs of stubble made my face tingle. ‘I’m also feeling like I could be on to a good one – just can’t figure out if it’s something that I want to put out for me or give it away to someone else.’

‘Maybe don’t decide just yet. Let it sit for a while and then come back to it with a clear head, that could do you some good. You’ll figure it out – you always do.’

‘Enough about me.’ He grabs up my glass of wine, bringing it to his lips. ‘How was your day? Did you meet that writer guy? And what is that incredible smell?’

‘I definitely met him.’ I couldn’t shake the hour that I spent with Victor. Lisa believed that Smithson could help him – I just hope she was right.

‘Uh oh. Do you have yourself a diva?’ Harry stifles out a laugh, walking over to get himself an empty glass, after finishing off mine. ‘Is he asking for foot rubs and hot cups of tea? Maybe a room with the perfect about of direct sunlight and candles that smell like pinewood?’

‘I wish.’ I mutter with a forced laugh carefully dropping my laptop back into my bag for work tomorrow. ‘That would be much easier. More like empty beer cans, tuna fish, and a bad attitude. He doesn’t want any part of this. His ex-wife actually submitted his writing to the company.’

‘Aw baby,’ Harry speaks quietly, walking over to wrap me in his arms. ‘Sorry about that. I know how much you want this. Maybe he just needs someone to turn him in the right direction, maybe that person is you.’

‘Maybe.’ I retort just as the timer goes off. ‘Chicken’s done.’

‘Good. I haven’t had anything since this morning. It smells amazing.’ Harry plops down at the table after setting aside plates and utensils. ‘Any other family members of yours making an appearance tonight that I should know about?’

‘You’re never going to let me live that down, are you?’

‘Not any time soon, no.’

After dinner, Harry’s down in his mini studio while I take a shower. I could hear his voice echoing off the halls. So soft and soothing. His feet cause the floor boards of the stairs to slightly squeak with each step he took. He pulls his shirt over his head and kicks out of his jeans before rolling into the expansive bed. He quietly watches as I pack my backpack for classes in the morning.

‘Any day now, right?’ He gestures his chin towards the textbook in my hand.

‘Just two more weeks.’ I beam, ready to finally walk across the stage, ‘I’ve already picked up my cap and gown, sent out invitations, all I need now is ace my final project and essay.’

‘I’m taking you somewhere when you graduate to celebrate, out of Europe.’

‘Any place specific in mind?’

‘Yes, and before you ask, I’m not telling you. You should definitely know me better than that by now.’ With that and a pleased look on his face, he throws an arm around me after I turn out the light.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hiii everyone! Thank you for taking the time out to read the latest chapter. Please, feel free to leave a comment or any suggestions, recommend the story, and subscribe if you haven't already. Also, come back to follow along with the story of Libby and Harry. Thanks again xx