Still the One

XXXII.

Ten minutes passed and Harry hadn’t said a word. My bottom lip quivered as I rolled to my side away from him. A single tear trickles down my cheek and I let out an involuntarily sniffle. Harry leans over my body to study my face. ‘Why are you crying?’ he frowns placing all of his body weight onto me.

‘Yo- you look at me like I’m a weirdo now.’ I blurt out covering my face.

‘What? No! No. Baby, I promise you that I don’t. It’s a very sensitive subject and I don’t want to upset you any more than you already are. I was just thinking of the right thing to say to you is. I promise you I am looking at you the same way I always have since I first laid eyes on you.’ He assures me kissing my forehead. I wipe my eyes for the hundredth time in the last twenty four hours and roll onto my back in the bed. Harry does the same and stares at the ceiling, ‘could I ask you something? Feel free to say no.’ he is hesitant as he speaks.

‘Ask me anything.’ I don’t take my eyes from the white ceiling before me.

‘How long has your mum, you know, been schizophrenic?’ Harry briefly looks at me then back at the ceiling. I lay there quietly pursing my lips, ‘I should’ve asked. I’m sorry.’

‘No no you’re fine. I’m thinking.’ I close my eyes, ‘my mum’s been the way she is for as long as I can remember honestly. When I was little she was my Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. Most of the time she was her normal, happy self but there were others were she was just terrible. She would scream, throw things, but we didn’t know why. Not until my grandfather, told my dad that his wife had the same actions. She was schizophrenic and ended up passing to my mum I guess. She was always in therapy sessions and had to take pills every single day. People would come to the house to evaluate her behavior. A lot of the time my dad would lie for her when she did something bad so they wouldn’t take her away. She once pulled my arm out of its socket. Dad rushed me to the hospital. She didn’t remember why I’d jump whenever she would be around for nearly five months. I turned 17 and I moved out. Dad helped me get my flat. I stopped going around my mum less and less. Then I stopped going completely. I avoided my dad’s calls and offers for dinner. Recently when Tanner came back from boarding school I started to go back over to his home but only when my mum would be gone just to not run into her.’ I breathed once it was all out. A huge weight had been taken off of my shoulders. Harry silently thought nodding his head as I spoke. ‘So that’s why I never mention my family to answer your question from the other day.’

‘I think you’re still the most amazing person I have ever met.’ Harry kissed my cheek placing his hand under my chin.

‘You’re the first person I’ve talked to that about, ever.’ I blinked.

‘I can’t tell you how honored I am.’ Harry replied with the smallest grin. I yawn looking over at him. ‘It’s been a long night. How about you go to bed?’ I slowly nod my head before falling asleep. The next morning I woke up realizing I was in Harry’s bedroom. His spot beside me was empty. Last night I cuddled against his large frame keeping warm. I shiver as I pull the sheets from my bare legs. I snatch Harry’s sweater from the chair beside the bed and pull it on. My feet touch the cold wood floor of the flat. I make my way to the kitchen where Harry is cooking eggs and bacon.

‘Good morning.’ I croak. My voice is hoarse from crying all yesterday. Harry’s eyes rake up and down my body with a playful smile.

‘Good morning.’ He repeats, ‘you look beautiful.’ I half smile and walk over to him. As he’s cooking I wrap my arms around his waist resting my head on his back. I hear him turn off the stove and pour the food into glass trays. ‘Ready to eat?’ I nod against his back causing him to chuckle. I follow him to the table and sit beside him.

‘I guess I won’t be in class today either.’ I frown looking at Harry’s digital clock. I had slept the morning away.

‘They still think you’re in America.’ Harry slides the plate in front of me, ‘don’t worry about that right now. Eat.’ I do as I’m told and end up cleaning the entire plate.

‘It was really good thank you.’

‘You’re welcome.’ Harry finishes off the coffee in front of him.

‘Could you take me to my flat so I could get a change of clothes?’

‘Aw you’re not staying in mine all day?’ he grinned cheekily nodding his head. I hurry into the bedroom and slip my feet into my sandals following Harry out the door. The cold London wind swept by causing me to let out a short yelp. I hurried into my car sitting in the passenger seat. Harry climbed in and started the car up. Not too long after we make it to my flat and go inside. It’s quiet and empty. I go to my room and pack a bag to stay at Harry’s tonight. ‘You’re going to stay at my flat again?’ he wonders when I come back from my room.

‘Well I wanted to. Is that okay, I should’ve asked first.’

‘Of course it is.’ He smiled, ‘I love going to bed with you and waking up to you in my clothes.’ I kiss his lips before locking the flat door. We make it back to Harry’s where I take a shower then change into a pair of jeans and a sweater. Harry goes into the shower once I finished. ‘At least we can get to Louis’ game tomorrow.’ Harry sits down beside me.

‘That’s true.’ I nod my head messing with the paper airplane necklace Harry gave me.

‘Are you not ready for all the questions just yet?’ he asks concerned. I shrug in response nervously. They would ask a ton of questions of what happened yesterday. I hadn’t bother checking my phone I knew it’s probably filled with messages from them. I felt Harry’s hand on my mine giving me a supportive squeeze.

‘Could I see my phone?’ I inquire. Harry had it since I threw it in the car last night. He nods before walking off into the other room. He comes back with his phone and mine in his hand. I turn my phone on and wait impatiently for it to come on. It immediately starts going off with texts from everyone.

Lib what’s going on?? – Perrie.
Are you ignoring us? – Eleanor.
We’re here for you – Danielle.
What’s up with you and Harry? – Niall.
Hey missed u in class! – Lanna.
Call me – Tanner.
I love you – Dad.
Why isn’t harry answering??? – Liam.
Hope all is well – Amy.
Starting to get worried… - Eleanor.
I’m here for you for whatever’s going on with your family right now. – Daniel.
Talk to us! – Danielle.
The lads and I are here for you Lizard – Louis.
Keep smilin Lizard – Zayn.
Missin you babe – Perrie.

More from the girls, mostly confused. I sighed sending them all a group message.

I’m okay. See you tomorrow at the game. – Libby.

I handed my phone back to Harry as I shut it off, ‘are you not going to call your family?’

‘Not yet.’ I replied looking away from him.

‘I’d love to meet them one day.’ Harry murmurs lowly. Luckily low enough where I could pretend I didn’t hear him. For the remainder of the day we lay in his bed watching movies. Harry ordered Chinese food which we immediately ate. We laid down in the bed once again after midnight.

‘Tomorrow’s your last day.’ I point out hiding my frown. Harry touches my arm with his fingers looking down at me, ‘I’ll miss you.’

‘I’ll miss you too.’ He kisses my nose, ‘but come visit me whenever you want, yeh? I mean it, whenever.’

‘Okay.’ I nod before falling asleep. The next day Harry and I got dressed for Louis’ game today. We got into Harry’s Range Rover then he became driving. The drive to the arena was over an hour long. We arrived at the arena where there were cars everywhere. People everywhere. I gasped looking out the window. Harry pulled his phone out and dialed a number.

‘Hey Paul. We’re here. In lot D.’ Harry says before hanging up. Ten minutes or so later Paul comes with Preston. We’re escorted through the people and to the designated place for family and friends. Fans took pictures of us as we made our way to the stands.

‘Libby!’ Perrie exclaims jumping down to me. ‘Babe how are you?!’ I plaster a smile on my face looking back at Harry.

‘Lizard how was the US?!’ Zayn beams.

‘I’m okay. America was good.’ I respond. ‘Thanks for helping with that.’

‘No problem.’ They reply with matching smiles. Soon Eleanor arrives with Louis’ sisters Lottie and Felicite. Louis’ mum comes with her fiancé and the twins Phoebe and Daisy. Liam comes with Niall, Dani, and Amy. Louis trots out ahead of his team.

GO LOU!
COME ON LOUIS!

We shout. Louis looks around and waves happily. The game was so intense, but in the end Louis’ team came out with the victory. Once the game was over we all headed out to the parking lot. Paps were everywhere. ‘We need more guys!’ Paul calls out. I hold onto Harry’s arm as they huddled around us.

LIBBY IS IT TRUE YOUR MUM IS A COMPLETE NUTTER?!
DO YOU HAVE SCHIZOPHRENIA LIKE YOUR MUM?!!
DID YOUR MUM EVER ABUSE YOU?
IS IT TRUE SHE WAS TAKEN TO A MENTAL HOSPITAL?!
LIBBY HOW LONG HAVE YOU KEPT THIS A SECRET?

The look on Harry’s face was absolute disgust, not at me, but the paps. I didn’t know what I felt in that moment besides all eyes on me. Harry grabbed my arm without waiting for Paul, Preston, Andy or anyone else. He pulled me along all the way to his car and helped me inside. I covered my face from the many flashes. Everything was happening so fast. I didn’t have time to react. Warm tears hit my neck. I wiped my nose with my sleeve as Harry sped out of the parking lot. It wasn’t long before our phones began chiming and ringing. I sighed looking down at all the incoming texts. Harry’s hand gripped the steering wheel hard. His jaw was clenched and his eyes stayed forward. ‘Could you take me to the uni?’ I inquire. Harry nods once before getting off the main street. We arrive at the uni and got out. Harry followed me silently. His silence actually scared me. ‘I just need to get my work.’ I hurry out of the car and walk towards the main building. I pick up my assignments for the remainder of the week and hurry back to Harry’s Range Rover. I wasn’t planning on going back to the uni for a couple of days to let this die down. I climb into the car and fasten my seat belt before Harry starts driving again. I hear him curse under his breath, ‘didn’t finish packing.’ He explains sensing the confusion on my face. We make it back to Harry’s flat where he begins silently packing his bags for the Australian leg of the Take Me Home Tour. I sat on the bed starting on my assignments occasionally looking over at Harry. ‘Going out for drinks.’ Harry informs me after a while. ‘I won’t be out too late.’

‘You better not. You have a flight in the morning.’ I remind him. He slightly groans pulling his jacket on.

‘I won’t be long.’ He states again. Against my better judgment I agree nodding my head, ‘see you.’ He places a kiss on my temple before heading out the door. It was after midnight and Harry hadn’t returned. I decided to call him but he didn’t answer. One in the morning. I pace back and forth with my phone in my hands. Two in the morning. I decide to take a shower to relax myself a bit. After I shower I slip in to one of Harry’s black tee shirts. He wouldn’t miss it. He had at least five hundred. I laugh at my own joke before looking at the clock. Half an hour until three in the morning. I frown, he still isn’t here. Before I knew what I was doing I was pulling a pair of leggings on and slipping my feet into my Doc Martens. I grab my jacket and trot to my car. There was a pub not too far from here, one of Harry’s favorites. He’d go there every weekend if he could. I pull into the parking lot and sure enough Harry’s Range Rover was outside of the pub. What are you doing? I ask myself. Are you at the pub to take your 19 year old boyfriend home? He isn’t a kid. Well it is practically three in the morning. He knows that. Obviously. Just go back to the flat. I wish my feet would’ve listened to my mind because I was walking into the pub before I knew it. There were men everywhere. A few girls here and there. Music blaring.

‘Fag!’ someone shouts. I slip through the huddled of men to see Harry sitting at the barstool with his back to the man shouting out vile comments. Harry stared down angrily at his drink. ‘Your band’s shit.’ I move through some more and place my hand on Harry’s back. He looks up at me confused and shocked.

‘What are you doing here?’ his words slightly slur. I know he’s hit his limit on the drinks for tonight. His pupils are dilated, nearly looking black in this light. The man throws out another comment causing Harry to pull me closer to him. His hand has a tight grip on my waist as he take a gulp from his pint.

‘Hi Libby could we get a picture?’ some random girls wonders. I politely decline for one I’m not famous and two I’m trying to see what’s going on with Harry.

‘That slag Libby White?’ one barks out a laugh. Harry pushes back from the table still staring into the glass.

‘Yeh mate I hear she is a top shag.’ Another guy adds in.

‘No no no mate member her mum on the telly for being in the nutterhole.’ Some chuckles emerges through the room.

‘A nutt and a slag.’

‘Say love how about me, you, your mum get a hotel room and have ourselves a good tim-..’ the one with all the rude comments starts but Harry finishes the sentence by tackling him to the ground.
♠ ♠ ♠
A/N I'd like to apologize for the words in this chapter if it offends anyone. PS I'm not British, I'm American so I'm not good with the whole british slang and terms they use for words over there (ex: nutter, telly, etc)