Still the One

XXXVI.

‘Ye-yes.’ I stutter. I take moment to mentally slap myself. Smooth, Libby, smooth.

‘Gale, your journalism professor is a great friend of mine. If she thinks you’ll be great for this position, you must be one of her best students.’ She gestures for me to take a seat. I slip into a firm wooden chair in front of her large desk. ‘I’m going to run through your daily responsibilities, making photocopies, maybe a few tea runs, scheduling photo shoots, meetings, researching, transcribing, filing, calling in products, it all sounds boring I know.’ She pauses to laugh, ‘three times a week I’ll need you to sit in on editor meetings. I’ll ask you to verify a lot of the information you hear in the meetings to make sure its correct and the sources are reliable. We have deadlines that we are serious about keeping so you’ll need to be quick. Think you can handle it?’

‘Yes ma’am.’ I say before thinking.

‘Terrific. Let me show you where you’ll be working.’ I nod eagerly and follow her down the hall. ‘I know you’re still in uni but the beauty of this internship is you’ll receive credit for being here so you should be here from noon to five daily.’ She unlocks a door and pushes it open. Inside there’s a dark wood desk with two chairs that match, a big black office chair, one shelf, a large window overlooking the busy London streets beneath us. ‘I know it’s not much nut you may decorate it as you please.’

‘It’s great.’ I smile. ‘I wasn’t expecting to get more than a linen closet.’ She lets out another laugh looking at her phone. ‘Tiffany, out front will give you all needed materials. You start tomorrow. I’d love to stay to get to know you but I have meeting in ten minutes so we’ll chat tomorrow. Looking forward to working with you Miss White.’ As she says goodbye I sit in the seat in my office. My office sounds so odd in my mouth. My office. I walk back to the front where Tiffany, the receptionist is waiting.

‘Welcome to Glamour.’ She hands me a handbook and a key. ‘I’ll still need to get your personal contact information but that can wait until the morning. Workers are coming in to set up your telephone and internet. The computer will also be placed in your office before tomorrow morning. So everything will be fixed by the time you get here tomorrow.’

‘Sounds lovely.’

‘Here’s a little tip. Do good here and they’ll ask you back as permanent employee.’ She whispers across the table.

‘Thanks for the tip.’ I respond just as low as her.

‘See you tomorrow.’

‘Bye.’ I wave and head to the lift. It takes me down to the main lobby where I walk out of the building. GLAMOUR it read on the front. I smile at the sign taking a mental picture. This is where I’ll be interning. I squeal as I skip to my car climbing inside. I’ll be learning from one of the best. I pull my phone from the seat and unlock the screen. I saw that I had a few messages from Harry and one missed call.

*whats the news??*
*I have news too!*
*call me when you can*

I immediately call Harry placing the phone on speaker. ‘Hello?’ he answers.

‘Hi! What’s your news?’

‘I got a tattoo today.’ He says into the phone. I could practically see the smile on his face. I look down at my own ink. Three tiny birds on my wrist.

‘You did?! Of what? Where?’

‘A rose on my arm. I’ll show you later on. What’s your news??’

‘My teacher me up with an internship.’ I inform him.

‘Where?’ he asks. As I open my mouth he stops me, ‘wait are you home?’

‘No, on my way. Why?’

‘I want to see your face when you tell me.’ He replies. I agree to call him on Skype the moment when I get into my flat. I made it back home then changed out of my clothes. I called Harry on Skype then watched as a set of dots spun around in circle. His smile flashes on the screen as I sit on my bed. ‘Hey.’ He waves.

‘Hey Harry!’ I beam. ‘Let me see your tattoo!’ he nods with a smile and slowly takes plastic tape from his arm. There was a bit of blood on the bandage he just removed. Over the place of Harry’s clear skin was a large rose tattoo. ‘Wow.’

‘Like it?’ he cheekily asks.

‘I do actually.’ I state, ‘it suites you.’

‘I thought so too.’ He agrees.

‘Does it hurt?’

‘You ask that every time. I’ve grown use to the feeling.’ Harry chuckles slightly at my concern.

‘Oh yeah.’ I remind myself.

‘Tell me your news!’ he begs.

‘So my journalism professor set me up with an internship.’ I inform him. He nods signaling me to continue, ‘with glamour magazine!’

‘That is absolutely amazing!’ his smile is genuine and warm. ‘I’m so happy for you.’

‘Thank you.’ I beam. ‘I met my boss, she’s really kind. I have an office too Harry. It’s huge. I’m going to be setting up interviews and photo shoots, researching, and she’s going to have me sit in on editorial meetings where I’ll fact check!’

Harry’s Point of View

I watch in awe as Libby goes on and on about her new internship, with Glamour magazine. It was such a big accomplishment for her and I’m happy to be the first person she’s told about this. The excitement and joy in her eyes caused me to crack a smile here and there. She opens her mouth to say something but decides against it. Suddenly she isn’t smiling so much anymore. ‘What’s the matter?’ I inquire leaning forward on my elbows. She shakes her head as she pulls her lip into mouth. I want to ask her again but I rather not push her. ‘What are you going to wear?’ I change the subject. I don’t know why I’m so interested in the tiniest details, but I just am. She stands to walk towards her closet then holds up several different dresses. ‘I think you should try them on.’ I feel my mouth form into a smirk. She cocks her head to the side eyeing me with a smile. She holds up her index her to me. I watch as she slips into her closet then emerges back with a black fitting dress. My mouth forms an O as she walks to the camera. ‘T-t-that’s a good one.’ I stutter through a gulp.

‘Really?’ she looks down at the dress. She grabs another one and heads toward the closet.

‘Lib!’ I call. She turns on her heels and walks back to the camera.

‘Yeh?’

‘Uh- nothing.’ I shake my head from left to right, probably too many times. She giggles taking the next dress into the closet. After a few dresses, skirts, and shirts she changes into a plain tee shirt and shorts.

‘Which one?’ Libby looks into the camera. Her eyes burning into mine. I swallow hard rubbing my hands against my black jeans.

‘The black one.’ I tell her. She had this black body hugging dress on earlier and I nearly choked on the mint gum in my mouth. Where has that dress been all my life? It really showed off her curves perfectly. I’d love to see her in that dress all day and all night. And maybe even after th-

‘Really?’ Libby’s small voice cuts in my thoughts. Great thoughts. Stop Harry.

‘Yes really.’ I confirm with a long nod, ‘take lots of pictures in it. Please.’ She notices my nervous grin and smirks, ‘maybe put it back on right now.’

‘Not a chance Styles.’ She giggles. ‘But I will take pictures tomorrow.’ She adds in. Thank you God. ‘I’m so nervous.’

‘You’ll do great.’ I tell her. She eyes me unsure. I hate that. I hate when Libby doubts herself. She’s so talented and smart. I wish she could see that sometimes. ‘I promise you.’

‘Alright.’ She offers me a smile. ‘Thanks Harry.’

‘Don’t mention it baby.’ I shrug with a cheeky grin. We talk for a while longer before I go to bed. I strip down out of my clothes and climb into the bed. I toss and turn in the bed frustrated. I grab the phone beside the bed, ‘can I get a couple of pillows to room 342.’

‘Right away.’ A voice on the other line chimes. I wrap myself in my sheets and wait by the door. The worker hands me my fresh pillows and I thank him as I walk back into the room. I lay back in the bed using the other pillows as if Libby was right beside me. I think back to when I first slept in the same bed as her. I was over her flat, watching some girly television program. I don’t remember what it was now. But she liked it. It was late, midnight late but I didn’t care. I stayed beside her until I eventually fell asleep. I woke up at like three or four in the morning and she was snoring beside me. I remember softly chuckling against her hair. Her mouth was slightly popped out in a frown. Her small hands were placed on my bare stomach. I had my arms wrapped around her waist protectively holding her against me. I kissed her forehead then mentally punched myself when I noticed she woke up. She just smiled tiredly at me before snuggling against my chest and falling back asleep. Her skin was so soft and smelt like oranges. Yeah oranges. That’s how I would describe Libby’s scent. Fresh oranges. I loved it. I yawn once more before finally falling asleep stupidly holding onto a set of pillows.

Libby’s Point of View

I woke up the next morning rushing to the uni. My dress was waiting in the car for later so I stuck to a pair of leggings, a plain white sweater, and my black lace Toms. My phone buzzes against my palm as I walk to my first class of the day.

I miss you Lizzy. – Tanner.

My heart fell to the floor reading the message from my little brother. I hadn’t talked to him nor my father since the night my mum was sent away. I wish I could ring my dad and tell him all about my new internship. I’d love to hear how happy and proud he’d was. I’d love to hear Tanner question how big my office was or if there were any girls I could set him up with. I crack a smile before walking through the doorway of the class. ‘Someone’s applied makeup.’ Lanna hints with a grin.

‘Yeh. I have an internship today.’ I tell her.

‘Where?!’ she gasps leaning forward on the desk beside mine.

‘Glamour magazine.’ I chime, overjoyed.

‘That is huge.’ The shock on her face is clearly visible.

‘I know. I’m quite elated.’ I smile beginning on the assignment for the day. After class I rush out of the room and to Eleanor’s usual studying area and plopped down in front of her.

‘Well hello Lib.’ She laughs closing her textbook.

‘Guess what.’ I blurt.

‘What?’ she wonders curiously.

‘I start my internship today…. With Glamour magazine!’ she doesn’t respond at first she stands hugging me through her squeal.

‘Congratulations babe! I’m so happy for you!’

‘Thank you!’ I hug her back.

‘This is so exciting!’

‘I know!’ we talked for a bit longer before Eleanor had to get to her own internship. After one more class I go out to my car and grab my dress then take it to an outside ladies room. I slip into my dress and take my hair out of its bun making it fall wavy. I pull my heels on and walk back to my car. I drive to Glamour and park along with the other cars.

‘Good morning Libby. Your office is ready. Jackie wants to speak to you this morning before you get settled in.’ the receptionist tells me.

‘I’ll go in now.’ I smile. Jackie’s door was cracked open and her chair was facing the wall. ‘Good morning, you needed to se-.’ I stop midsentence once Daniel turns around in the chair.

‘Libby?’ he asks stunned.