Still the One

XXXVII.

I open my mouth but no words come out. I hadn't seen Daniel since Caroline's surprise party where I accused him of leaking my information to the Mirror. Which I oddly enough believed him when he swore he didn't. Daniel just stares as I stand in the doorway, ‘Daniel- out of my seat.’ Jackie pushes her son out of the chair. Her son my ex boyfriend. ‘Don't be rude. Say hello to my newest intern, Libby White.’

‘I know Libby mum.’ He answers not looking at me.

‘Oh! How so?’ She wonders looking from Daniel to me.

‘We dated.’ I answer biting my bottom lip.

‘She's the girl you told me so much about?’ Jackie inquires curiously.

‘That would be her.’ Daniel nods his head, ‘I was going to introduce you but things didn't work out.’ The room was filled with awkwardness and uncomfortableness. I shift to my side. Daniel's mum was my boss. ‘Well I better get going mum. See you at home. Libby.’ He nods his head at me before walking out the room. I sit across from Jackie in the chair in front of her desk.

‘You and my son, yeh?’ A small smirk spreads across her face.

‘Yeh.’ I say quietly.

‘I hope this isn't too weird for you.’ she lets out a laugh breaking into the tension in the air.

‘I'll get past it.’ I join in with the laughter.

‘He's not around much. He was just bringing me my house keys.’ She explains.

‘Okay.’ I reply as if I didn't mind Daniel hanging around the office. I particularly wouldn't mind, but Harry would. Harry definitely would. ‘So why did you need to see me?’ I ask changing the subject.

‘I had a gift for you.’ she reaches under her desk and slides me a shiny black briefcase wrapped in a bright floral ribbon, ‘welcome to Glamour.’

‘Wow. Thank you so much.’ I run my fingers across the pricey material. ‘It's lovely.’

‘Don't mention it, dear. I'll let you get settled into your new office. Let me know if there's anything that needs to be changed.’

‘Will do.’ I nod before walking out of her office. I walk down the hall and unlock the door to my office to see a brand new Mac computer was set oh with a high-tech printer beside it. I went down to my car to get the box of things I brought to decorate my office. I put a few of my favorite books on the book shelf. I put a picture of Harry and I hugging on the desk next to my computer. The phone in the office began ringing, ‘hello?’

‘Hey Libby, there's a delivery for you.’ The receptionist, Tiffany says into the phone.

‘I'll be right out.’ I say slightly confused. I slip my feet back into my heels and hurry to the front desk. Beside Tiffany sat a bright bouquet of daisies.

‘These came for you.’ she picks up the blue vase and hands it to me.

‘Thank you.’ I walk back to the office and set the vase down on the far side of the desk. I pull out the folded card and bring it to my eyes.

just because. enjoy your first day at your internship. you'll do great xx - Harry.

I couldn't hold back my smile leaning down to smell the flowers. He knew daisies were my favorite. I opened the Instagram account I recently made after Danielle and Eleanor bombarded me with pleas. I took a picture of the bouquet and added a few emojis to the the caption.

the sweetest xx

I liked pictures posted by Danielle and a few members of the band before exiting the app. ‘Libby could file these for me?’ Jackie came in and set down a large stack of papers. ‘Copy these.’ Another stack. ‘Then some research.’ she set down a variety of fashion and gossip magazines. I smiled slightly at the research I would be doing, reading magazines and typing a few things I see. ‘Find me once you're finished.’

‘Yes ma'am.’ I slid the stack of files in front of me.

‘Please don't call me ma'am.’ a laugh escapes from her lips, ‘Jackie is fine.’

‘Alright, Jackie.’ I retort. I get started on the filing, placing all the papers in alphabetical order. Tiffany comes in and sits in a chair in my office.

‘Your dress is really pretty.’ She smiles. ‘I needed to get away from that desk for awhile and I thought I'd get to know you a bit more.’

‘Well whenever you need to get away you can most definitely come in here.’ I look up at her with a small smile.

‘Thanks. This your boyfriend?’ she asks turning the picture of Harry and I towards her. Geez wasn't she nosey but friendly so I don't mind.

‘Yes. That's Harry.’ I say proudly.

‘He sent the bouquet?’

‘Yeh, it's from him.’ I inform her. She lifts the picture higher and stares more closely.

‘Wait. Is that- Harry? Harry Styles from One Direction?’ I look down that was the usual reaction from people. If Harry and I were together six months ago I would've denied it and insist we were just close friends. But this is the new Harry and Libby. We're in a better place now this go around. We've decided to be out and open with our relationship.

‘Yes. That's Harry.’ I speak with conviction in my voice.

‘You two are so cute.’ she smiles at the photo.

‘Thank you.’ I state in return.

‘I guess I'll leave you to it.’ she stands and turns on her heels.

‘Tiffany.’ I stand as well, ‘could I ask a favor of you?’ I couldn't believe what I was doing or asking.

‘Sure, anything.’ she replies sitting back down.

‘Well Harry's on tour right and he likes this dress a lot, I promised I would some pictures in it for him.’ Suddenly I cover my face embarrassed. Calm down Libby you weren't asking her to hold your camera while you pose for nudes.

‘Sure thing.’ she agrees with a smile. I smile in return as I hand her my phone.

‘Just a few.’ I stand there against the wall with a smile on my face.

‘Boring.’ Tiffany teases me. I fan her off but then move out of the camera's view.

‘What should I do then?’

‘Sit in your chair, kick your leg out.’ she demonstrates by sitting back in the chair with her legs crossed. Her long legs were hanging over the chair's arm. ‘It'll show off your great legs.’ We exchange spots and I mimic her pose but instead of the sexy smolder I offer a smile. ‘Cute.’ I take more pictures adding in the one next to the wall, despite how awkward Tiffany said it made me look. I open a new text to Harry and without thinking I hit the send button. ‘I'll let you get back to work.’ Tiffany says before walking out the door. I finish the filing, copying the papers for Jackie, and flipping through magazines for the most important articles.

‘All finished.’ I inform Jackie after putting all the files away in their folders.

‘Excellent timing I must say.’ She sounds impressed, ‘I have a meeting in about ten minutes I'll need you to sit in on it and transcribe it.’ I grab a quick drink before walking into the meeting room with Jackie. I sit at the far end of the table with my notepad and pen in front of me. As they talk, I write. A whole hour and a half past before the meeting was finally over. Jackie takes my notes from me and thanks me. I unlock my phone and swipe the screen pulling up the latest notifications. I had a new text from Harry. I must say I was quite nervous for his response.

Harry's Point of View

I just got back from dinner with some of our band members when I went into my hotel room. Finally quiet and wifi. I haven't been able to check my phone in hours since the service here was horrible. I shower then flop down into bed wearing my plaid flannel bottoms. My phone buzzes with several photos from Libby. She sent me pictures in that dress of hers. I didn't think she'd actually do it. Oh my God, her legs. Those legs. I love that dress more and more. After a few swipes I get to the last picture where's she's simply standing in front of some wall with this smile on her face. That beautiful smile of her. The reason for my smile. That's definitely the best one. That's my Libby.

thank you so much for the pictures - i cant wait to see you again beautiful and i must say that dress completely works for you. looking fit baby xx - Harry.

A grin creeps onto my face as my phone reads delivered. I wait for her reply while I absentmindly flip through the television programs. I scroll through my camera roll through all the pictures. Mum. Gemma. Gemma and I. Mum and Robin and I. The lads. Niall and I. Liam, Louis, and I. Zayn, Perrie and I. This is all during the breakup. My hair was always messy and I always had dark circles under my eyes from the lack of sleep. I could tell that the smile on my face wasn’t real. Zayn and I. Gemma, Josh, and I. Paul and I. One single picture of Libby that I kept in my phone to stare at from time to time when I missed her. Words cannot explain the pain I went through during that breakup. I couldn’t eat, sleep, or anything really. It sounds cliché I know but it was true. Thank God we weren’t on tour that much during that time I would’ve fell out on stage for sure. I just laid in my bed, doing nothing. Absolutely nothing. I’d stare at the ceiling from hours at a time trying desperately to get her out of my head. I didn’t want to think of her. I didn’t want to think of how badly I hurt her. I didn’t want to remember the times we spent together. I didn’t want any of that, but I couldn’t stop replaying those moments in my head. Which made the pain hurt that much more. Somehow I’ve ended up on more recent pictures. Libby and I. Libby and I kissing. Libby and I at the sneak peek. Libby and I at Louis’s game. Libby and I in America. Libby and I the night before I left for Australia. Now that is a real smile. That is true happiness. There’s no denying that. Libby definitely brings out the absolute best in me. She makes me want to be the best person I can be.

Knock Knock

‘Harry. You up?’ Louis’s voice on the other side of the door inquires. I get up to answer the door after pulling my sweats back on.

‘Yeh?’ I ask letting him inside.

‘Fancy a little game of FIFA?’ he wonders with a competitive smirk on his face. I really wasn’t feeling up to playing FIFA especially against Louis. One, he’ll always win. Two, I was thinking about Skyping with Libby. But Louis is in the same ship as I am. Eleanor is at school half the time and at some internship the other. So she can’t be here like Libby. I know how much he wishes she could but on the other hand, he’s supportive of her. Just like I am with Libby.

‘Sure.’ I agree grabbing my phone and following him out the door. I sit on the chair inside of Louis’s room as he turns on the Playstation.

‘Talking to Lizard?’ he laughs looking back at me.

‘She’s at that internship so she’s a little busy.’ I say just as a reply comes in.

thank you for that and for the beautiful flowers. I love them so much xx – Libby.

You’re welcome baby x hows the internship going? – Harry.

It’s going great actually. I’m having so much fun here. What are you up to? – Libby.

Playing FIFA with Louis here in a bit. – Harry.

Libby and I text each other for a bit longer before I let her get back to work for the day.

Libby’s Point of View

‘Good job Libby!’ Jackie says as I’m gathering my stuff up for the day.

‘Thanks so much.’ I wave and walk out of the building. I make it to the lobby to see what awaited me. Dozens of paps. Great.