Still the One

XLVIII.

It was christmas morning and I was getting ready to go to an institution where I'd spend it with my mum. Harry agreed to go with me so it would be that much easier. I didn't know how today would go. I was hoping that it would just be over already. I wanted to stay in my pajamas and curl up on the sofa with Harry. We could drink hot cocoa and watch movies sharing a large bowl of popcorn.

Suddenly my phone lets out a loud chime signaling a new message. It was from my younger brother Tanner.

you're still coming, right? - Tanner.

wouldn't miss it little bro. - Libby.

About half an hour later there was a soft knock on my door. I smooth out my black and slip my feet into my heels. Thanks to the black stockings they slid right in. Standing in the cold air was Harry dressed in a black button up, black jeans, and black boots. His dark curls were pushed from his face revealing his for forehead. His black dress shirt was cuffed at the sleeves showing off the watch he’s worn since I could remember and the smallest of his tattoos dotted along his wrist.

‘Merry Christmas Lib.’

‘Merry Christmas Harry.’ I wrap my arms around his tall frame breathing in his cologne.

‘You look incredible.’ He smiles stepping through the doorway.

‘I was just about to say the same thing to you.’ I smile walking over to the hall mirror to examine myself. ‘Just let me grab my coat.’ I say walking back to my room. ‘Where's yours?’

‘It's in the back of the car.’ Harry answers.

‘Typical.’

‘I’m ready whenever you are.’ I hear Harry call from the living room. ‘I left the car running.’ Harry says as I feel his large hand placed on my back walking down the slick steps.

‘It’s freezing.’ I huddle against Harry’s chest while we walk down the pavement to his car. He helps me inside and closes the door after me where the heat immediately greets me. I lean forward in my seat absorbing the heat coming from the vents of the car.

‘While in London I wouldn’t expect anything less.’ Harry says once he’s in beside me with a small chuckle falling from his pink lips. He cups my hands in his lifting them to his lips. I watch as he kisses my hands softly blowing on them.

‘Warm?’

‘Very much so. Thank you.’

Harry sets his navigation system before he pulls out of the driveway and joining a line of cars on the cold London morning. The car ride was nice and quiet while I was playing out the possible outcomes of this morning’s visit in my mind. Harry would occasionally look over at me when jammed in between a train of cars. In about thirty minutes we were getting out of the car outside of this large brick building. I spotted a few people going in with small gifts in hand. Should I have brought something? Dad didn’t mention to bring a gift. Maybe he just thought it was obvious enough he wouldn’t have to tell me. Harry’s hand finds mine as he holds the glass door open for me.

‘Libby White and Harry Styles.’ I say once I was at the tall desk.

‘IDs please.’ The lady behind the desk says in response.

Harry easily fishes through his brown leather wallet and slides his across the smooth counter while I dig through my purse handing it to the woman. She jots down our names on to small stickers and advises us to put them on before returning our IDs. She slams a switch behind the desk and the wall makes a loud beep where a green light flashes.

‘Here we go.’ I peep up to Harry placing my hand back through his.

‘Everything will be fine, you’ll see.’ He squeezes my hand holding another door open for me.

As we walk into the room I let my eyes wander examining my surroundings. The room was large, plain white walls, and inspirational posters plastered all over the walls.

Stop Doing Drugs – Get Help.

One Day At A Time.

Let Go and Let God.

Together We Can.

So on and so on, my eyes actually got tired of reading. There were dozens of tables scattered around the room, some filled with families in deep conversations. I spot my dad and brother sitting side by side at a table in the back of the room. My mom was dressed in a white pair of cotton pajamas, a powder blue robe, and thin white slippers. Her long dark hair was pulled back out of her face into a loose ponytail. My dad was the first to spot Harry and I offering us a warm inviting smile. He stands to his feet causing my mum to turn around in her chair. I watch as she whispers something over to Tanner and he nods in return.

‘Libby.’ Dad says hugging me tight, ‘we’re so happy you made it. Nice to see you again Harry.’

‘Nice to see you again, sir.’ Harry replies politely leaning forward to shake my dad’s hand.

‘Jillian, its Libby and her boyfriend, Harry.’ My dad stands in the small space between my mother and I.

‘Elizabeth?’ her voice croaks, tired and slightly slurred.

I make a face at Harry before wrapping my arms around her thin waist. My mum has called me Elizabeth from the very stop and doesn’t plan on stopping. I hate the name Elizabeth, Libby feels more suited for my character.

‘And you’re Harry?’ she places her eyes onto him. He nods extending his hand out to her, thankfully she takes it. We sit down at the table in the two empty seats, ‘I’ve heard many things about you.’

‘Oh?’ Harry wonders facing her, ‘good I hope.’

‘Not quite.’ She clips in a harsh tone.

Harry’s stunned eyes immediately find mine. My dad clears his throat reaching over to tap my mum’s back.

‘Now, Jillian, it’s Christmas.’

‘One question…’ she ignores my dad and turns to Harry, ‘are you planning a serious future with my daughter?’

‘Yes, I am. For as long as she’ll have me.’ Harry answers without missing a beat or a second of hesitation.

‘So you’re not using her for sex?’

‘Dad!’ I call out, looking around to see if anyone heard the current conversation.

‘Spare my daughter. We all know celebrities move on quicker than you can count.’

‘With all due respect, you don’t know me or my relationship with your daughter ma’am.’ Harry shifts over in his chair uneasily.

‘Have you two had sex yet?’

‘Mum.’ Tanner is clearly disgusted by the outburst.

‘Jillian, enough.’ Dad says sternly.

‘I knew this was a bad idea.’ I sigh coming to my feet, Harry’s large frame follows my actions.

‘If it helps any, no we haven't.’ Harry says lightly.

‘We’re going to go. Merry Christmas.’

‘Nice seeing you all.’ Harry, the charmer adds in before leaving the room with me.

I hear the woman sitting next to my father call out to me but I keep going. I walk out the building ignoring the worker saying we needed to sign out. I’m at least ten feet ahead of Harry who actually stopped to sign out. The car door unlocks as Harry steps out of the building. I climb inside and kick out of my heels, huffing in the seat.

‘That is the fastest I’ve ever seen you walk in heels, ever.’ Harry laughs, attempting to lighten up the mood. ‘It wasn’t that bad. I’ve had people say worse.’

‘I don’t want anyone, especially a family member being rude to you. She doesn’t know you so I don’t see-..’ I start but Harry pushes his lips against mine forcefully. He moves his hands to each side of my face caressing my cheeks.

‘It doesn’t matter.’

‘But Harry she went off what she rea-...’ he cuts me off again planting his lips to mine.

‘Libby listen,’ he says holding my face with both his hands, ‘I don't care what anyone says about our relationship. I know the truth and I know where we stand. That's all that matters. We're all that matters when it comes to us, okay?’

‘Okay.’ I give in.

For a moment I thought about rambling on some more just to feel Harry's gentle lips.

‘That's my girl.’

‘Can we just go to your mum’s where we can attempt to have a normal Christmas.’

‘Not if she makes us play scrabble.’

‘You love playing Scrabble with your mother.’ I tease as he heads out of the parking lot.

‘Don't ever repeat that out loud.’ Harry laughs briefly looking over at me.

‘Did you really announce to my family that we haven't had sex yet?’ I burst out into a fit of laughter.

‘What? We haven't!’ Harry laughs along with me, ‘I was not going to be the reason your mum comes undone, your dad kills me, or Tanner vomits. Which ever came first.’

‘One was bound to happen.’ I unbuckle my seat belt and lean over the arm rest. ‘Thank you for coming even though it was an absolute disaster.’

‘I wouldn't call it an absolute disaster.’ Harry lies for my benefit with a smile.

For the rest of the day i stay at Harry's flat with him watching a Christmas Story until it was time to go to his mum's.

‘Where are the gifts?’ I ask following inside his mum's house.

‘The car. Let's wait till after dinner.’

‘Sounds good.’ I reply as Harry leans forward to knock on the door.

I look behind us at the car parked alongside Gemma's small black car. Powdered snow now began to lightly cover the green grass. A gust of bitter wind swept past us as Harry knocks again. I move over on the steps leaning into his black coat. He opens to coat allowing me to hide myself from the wind. The door opens with a small squeak. Anne pulls us inside of the house wiping her wet hands on her apron.

‘Merry Christmas!’