Still the One

LI.

Harry’s Point of View

After leaving a very successful night with Libby’s dad and brother we head back to her flat. To our surprise there was some kind of car parked along side the curb. I pull my car right behind it and cut the engine.

‘Stay here.’ I say quietly.

I doubt they could hear me but you never know who’s watching.

‘What? No.’ Libby quickly slides out of her seat belt.

I sigh with slight frustrated at her stubbornness. Libby’s tiny frame slides down out of the range rover before I could open the door. I take a few strides at a time to keep up with her.

‘Someone’s in my flat.’ She points to the door slightly cracked.

I yank her by her wrist and force her behind me.

‘Harry!’ she whispers tugging on my coat. She uses her hands to hold me by my forearm.

I swallow before going inside of the flat. I kick the door open and step through the doorway. The front area was empty. The kitchen was empty. The hallway was empty. The toilet room was empty. Libby’s door was slightly open but the light was off.

‘Harry, stop.’ She whispers planting her feet to the ground. ‘I have a bad idea about this.’

‘Stay behind me, no matter what.’ I advise before walking through the door. I slap the light on and let my eyes scan across the room. It was empty but trashed. The window was left open. I hear Libby let out a whimper as she hurries into the room. As I open my mouth to say something there’s a sound of screeching tires out front. I run as fast as I could to the front door to see the car that was once outside, was now gone.

‘I’m calling the police.’ I say aloud dialing them up on my phone. Libby silently stands in her room, on the verge of tears I know. The police rush through the doors wasting no time.

‘Can you tell us what happened?’

‘We were at her family’s place. Eating dinner. Spending some time with them. I came to drop her off when there was this car outside. The front door was open. Everything looked okay until we got to her bedroom. Every thing in there is trashed.’

‘Did you see the car? Get a plate number of anything?’

‘We didn’t get their number but I do know it was a dark colored car. Dark blue, maybe black. Maybe a convertible. While we were in the back room the car speeds off.’

‘It just fled the scene once you got back? Did they walk out the front door or a back door?’

‘No, the window in her room was open. So I guess that’s how they got out. While we were searching the rest of the flat for anything.’

‘Did they take anything?’

‘No, not they’ve came across that is.’

‘That’s odd.’ He closes the pad in his hands. ‘Quite odd indeed.’

His plump fingers tap away at his bearded chin.

‘What’s odd?’

‘Well, I wouldn’t say it was just any old thief. They left the house in perfect condition besides her personal room but didn’t take anything. If you ask me I think it may have been a personal attack on miss. White. A vendetta if you will.’

‘So someone thought, “hey she’s pissed me off, I’ll trash her place.”’

‘That’s what I’m guessing.’

‘But who?’

‘Has she made any enemies lately?’

‘Not that I know of. Everyone loves Libby but there was-…’

I stop myself mid-sentence thinking about the girl from Libby’s school Lanna. She couldn’t be that insane, could she? All because Libby didn’t get her an interview with the band? I’ve never laid eyes on the girl but she’s already rubbed me the wrong way. If she did this I hope the police find her and I have the chance to give her a piece of my mind. That’s for sure.

‘There is this one girl. She’s leaked Libby’s personal life before to those sleazy magazines before. Not too long ago, she found out some more information and threatened to sell the story again if Libby didn’t set up a way for her to interview the band and I for her class. But we hadn’t heard much more from her since classes have been out for holiday.’

‘Why hadn’t she reported her? This is considered harassment. Now if she has did all this,’ he pauses to gesture to some of Libby’s items in the narrow hallway, ‘she is facing other serious charges, such as breaking and entering.’

‘I honestly can’t tell you why she hasn’t. She likes to give people chance after chance, the benefit of the doubt but that doesn’t always work. The Lanna girl is the only one that comes to mind.’

‘I don’t recommend she stays here tonight, just incase the intruder comes back. Does she have any relatives in the area?’

‘She’ll stay at my place.’ I answer.

I know Libby enjoyed being with her family today but I could also tell she was ready to leave after we had been there for so long. I don’t think she wants to move back in, even if it’s just for a couple of nights.

‘We’ll be in touch. If this Lanna girl contacts either of you, let us know.’

‘We will. Thank you.’

‘Have a nice night.’ With that the men leave.

Libby is sat on her bed with her knees supporting her chin. She stares blankly at the destruction. Most likely wondering where to start. I sit on the bed beside her wrapping an arm around her back.

‘Come on Lib, you’ll stay with me tonight.’

‘Okay.’ It comes out as the smallest whisper.

‘Get some clothes for a couple of days, alright?’

‘Alright.’

‘I’ll start picking some of this stuff up.’

I leave the bed and start hauling several stuffed animals in my arm. I neatly arrange them on the window as she had them. I pick up her clothes, putting them all into the white hamper. Photos of her with the girls were ripped. I don’t know if she’s seen them yet since they were under all the clothes. I hide the remains in my coat pocket, reminding myself to get them reprinted tomorrow. Her favorite CDs including my own scattered over the floor. I place the CDs neatly into a stack, Midnight Memories on top followed by Take Me Home and Up All Night. She already had the first two when I met her. I toss a few pair of shoes into her closet then pick up what appeared her schoolwork.

‘I’m ready.’ Libby chimes with a low sigh.

‘Here.’ I take the overnight bag from her and throw it over my shoulder.

‘Why would anyone do this?’ she looks back at her room before following me down the hall.

‘I don’t know, Lib. People are assholes who want to ruin someone’s day.’

The car ride to the flat was silent, nearly too silent. I had to keep looking over to remind myself she was sitting right beside me. I take her bag from her hands after I unlock the door.

Libby’s Point of View

Harry’s flat was slightly messy but comforting. On the wall he had a blown up picture of us from the premiere along side a group picture with the guys. He had a white case that held all of their awards. The record breaking golden records were pinned up on the wall side-by-side. Socks and tee shirts were scattered on his floor. I watch as he scrambled to pick them up from the floor.

‘Sorry about this.’ He laughs throwing his stuff into a basket on the floor. ‘I’m a bit messier than you.’

‘You’ve always been.’ I stiff out a laugh of my own, ‘that’ll never change.’

I sit on his bed, taking off my shoes as Harry does the same. Harry pulls his tee shirt off and extends it out to me.

‘Thanks.’ I say walking into the toilet room.

‘I will never get over you wearing my clothes.’ Harry’s eyes travel up and down my body. ‘What an incredible sight.’

I climb into the bed lying beside him tracing the butterfly on his chest.

‘I hate that one.’ He says catching my stare. ‘It was a spur of the moment type thing.’

‘I don’t hate it.’ I respond in return. ‘I think it’s nice.’

‘You think all of my tattoos are nice.’

‘Because they are nice, all of them.’

‘What’s your favorite?’

‘I love the two birds.’

‘That figures. You’re quite the animal lover.’

‘That I am.’ I agree with a nod.

‘Let me see yours.’ He lifts my wrist and presses a small kiss against my skin. ‘More birds.’

‘I was actually thinking about getting another.’ I admit, ‘on my rib cage.’

‘No. Harry says, like a whine. ‘No more.’

‘And why not?’

‘You’re my delicate, pure Libby and they’re permanent.’

‘Says the boy with the butterfly on his stomach.’ I tease.

He grabs my neck gently pressing his lips to mine.

‘You’re such a smartass.’ Harry smirks kissing me once more.

‘How about a piercing?’ I watch as his face pales.

‘God no. Libby, I swear I will literally drag you ou-…’

I burst out into a fit of laughter leaning into his chest.

‘Kidding.’

‘Alright.’ He says attacking my sides with his skinny fingers. ‘You asked for it.’

‘Haaarry.’ I drag out swiping his hands away. ‘Stoooop.’

‘Are you going to get a piercing?’

‘Nooo.’

‘Any more tattoos?’

‘NO!’ I cough from laughing so hard.

His hands come to a stop right before his lips meet mine again.

‘Good.’ He sits back on the bed with his back against the wooden headboard, obviously pleased.