Still the One

LIII.

Libby’s Point of View

The night was pitch black and the harshly cold winds didn’t help. I come to a stop of yet another dull red lights on another street covered with ice. I lean forward in the car looking out of the windshield. Snow sprinkled the hood of Harry’s dark car. London was quiet as the city slept. Harry tiredly clears his throat beside me as a sign that the light had changed.

‘They asked for it.’ He mutters, half drunk on the verge of a deep slumber. A deep red mark slowly starting to appear on his cheek. His pink bottom lip was cut with a line. His jaw clenched, making him that much more attractive. Harry’s green eyes were barely opened as he sat slumped in the car seat. His arms were folded across his chest as a spoiled eight year old would do. The knuckle covered with dry blood was visible from where I sat.

I choose not to respond to his comment as I continue to drive him back to his flat, rethinking of what just happened before me in Funky Buddha.

Harry and I were at Funky Buddha to spend some time with Danielle and Liam, as we used to. Danielle and I were working our way into the fast upbeat music. Harry and Liam snuck away to the bar. Harry had a few shots from what I remember. Everything was going great until I bump into Daniel. My ex-boyfriend, my boss’ son Daniel. I remember him tapping me on the shoulder with a small smile on his face.

Fancy running into you here, yeh?

I remember him shouting over the fast-paced Britney Spears song. Behind him was his football friend and one of his best pals, Matthew. Matthew had a large glass cupped in his palm; he used his free hand to wave.

How was your holiday?

It was lovely and yours?

Good good. Did a bit of skiing with the family. Mum hit the slopes.

Jackie??

As Daniel opened his mouth to reply, Matthew nudged him. Their eyes were fixed on something beyond me. That something happened to be Harry making his way over. His arm is snaked around me before I knew it. That’s when the heated stare down started. Liam and Danielle had already made their way over to sit down in the corner.

Is there a problem?

Matthew was the first to speak up. His brown eyes were directed to Harry. Harry’s hand grips my side, protectively.

Yeah, there is actually.

I tug on Harry’s arm with my hand. He looks down at me before pushing me behind him.

There is most definitely a problem if I have to repeat myself. I distinctly remember telling you to stay the hell away from my girlfriend.

Harry, please.

You don’t own me.

Daniel was not backing down and neither was Harry, which had me worried.

No, no I don’t. But I will not hesitate to slam your face into the bricks outside.

Look, Libby’s a big girl. She can make her own choices.

Matthew decides to speak up again. He was right beside Daniel, both of their eyes on Harry.

Who the hell are you? Did I ask you to speak?

Talk is cheap.

Daniel has stepped right in front of Harry. There was practically no space in between them.

Yeah, I agree.

Those were the last three words I remember hearing before Harry was on the ground with both Daniel and Matthew. There were fists swinging out in all directions. I tug on Harry’s shirt attempting to pull him off of Matthew. Daniel’s tight fist swings out in front of me and punches Harry’s face. Harry takes turns on each of the guys, getting in a few good hits. Dancers scrambled to break up the brawl right in the middle of the dance floor. To make matters better there were thousands of flashes going off at the unbelievable scene. I let go of Harry’s shirt, not wanting to grab him at a time like this. Danielle rushes over as Liam dives and attempts to grab Harry by the back of his tee shirt.

Harry, stop.

I blurt out in the mist of all of this.

Liam finally manages to snatch Harry up from the fight when Matthew leaps up and punches Harry, in the face, just like Daniel had a second ago. Harry breaks through again and hits Matthew in his face, sending him to the ground. Funky Buddha’s security shove their way through the crowd and yank Harry from the crowd. The other security guards restrain Matthew and Daniel. The guard releases Harry near the side exit. He clumsily shoves the door open with his two hands. The bitter cold wind immediately hit us as we silently walked to his car. I couldn’t wait for Danielle or Liam, since the parking lot was starting to fill with paps with cameras. I help Harry to the car and close the door before wrestling over the keys with him. He quietly stares out the window beside him.

We were now outside of the flat, in his driveway. I pull his car right beside my own and slid out of the car. Harry doesn’t say anything as he slams the car door shut and heads into the flat. He kicks his shoes off the moment he makes it through the door. I head into Harry’s bedroom taking my dress off. The door swings open as I wiggle the dress off of my body.

‘Shit.’ Harry murmurs under his breath, walking backwards out of the room. ‘Sorry.’

I find a pair of flannel pajama shorts and an old tank top to put on before opening the door, ‘it’s safe to come in now Harry.’ I say to Harry who leans against the wall of the hallway. He climbs into the bed and lies down on his back. I go to the kitchen to get a handful of small ice cubes in one of the hand towels. ‘Put this on your face.’ I say to him sitting down on the bed beside him.

‘Thanks.’ He winces as the cold ice touches his cheek. ‘Someone got a cheap shot.’ He stiffs out a laugh to himself as he shakes his head from side to side.

‘Use this to clean your hands.’ I say handing him a warm towel.

Harry takes the towel and brushes it over his knuckles. Thankfully they weren’t split open, again. He takes a moment to examine his hands, tightening his fist a few times.

‘Why are you sitting up?’ he asks curiously looking up at me.

‘No reason.’ I pick at the skin of my thumb.

‘Lay down.’ He says moving over in the bed.

I lay beside Harry, on my back just like him. Somehow the plain ceiling was interesting to me now. Harry uses one arm to support the back of his head while the other rests under my back.

‘I can’t wait for the phone call from management tomorrow.’ He speaks up, keeping his eyes on the ceiling. ‘Definitely get a proper telling off because of tonight’s incident. They’ll probably keep me under tight lock and key with Andy or Preston.’

‘Possibly.’ I reply quietly.

Harry would most likely receive a phone from the management and this would most likely be all over the gossip mags tomorrow morning. He’ll mostly have to have one of the bod guards around him from now on.

‘I’m sorry.’ He says just as quiet as I did.

‘For what?’ I wonder briefly looking over to him.

‘For the club thing,’ he pauses looking at me, ‘and walking in on you a moment ago.’

I watch as a small smile grows across his face.

‘Wipe that look from your face.’ I smile back at him.

‘I’m just saying I’m sorry.’ He defends running his hand up my arm.

‘Apology accepted.’ I respond leaning into his chest. ‘Not used to you wearing a shirt to bed.’

‘If you want me to get naked, let me know.’ He says with a cheeky smile.

‘Get naked Harry.’ I roll my eyes as I shake my head leaning back into his chest.

I feel him lean back in the bed pulling his shirt from over his head. He tosses it over me and into the dirty clothes hamper. He wraps his arms around my waist holding me there with him.

‘That better?’

‘Very much so.’ I nod running my finger over the ship on his arm.

I kiss his chest as I close my eyes. His slim fingers run through my hair playing with the strands. He uses his hand to lift my chin so I could look him in his eyes. The bruise on his face was much more evident now. I touch the dark bruise on his face causing him to close his eyes in pain.

‘I’m sorry.’ I frown barely letting my finger graze his cheek.

‘Don’t be.’ He retorts still twisting the strands of hair with his fingers.

‘How bad are you hurting?’

‘My face is sore,’ he pauses to laugh, ‘it’ll be fine tomorrow.’

I lean up to kiss his lips despite the cut he kisses back. Our lips mesh together perfectly as they always did. From the start. I use my hand to touch the unharmed side of Harry’s face deepening the kiss. He pulls me on top of him in one swift move not breaking the kiss for one second. The room grew hot as the kisses became needy and lustful with every passing minute. Everything about Harry was addicting. Especially his lips. I lean down pressing myself against Harry’s bare chest. My legs brush up against his black jeans. He uses a pillow behind him to support his weight, holding my waist. There were so many questions racing through my mind in that moment, every single one swirling around in my mind. The main question was: was this about to lead to what I thought it was leading to? Are you ready for that? It’s Harry. Do you trust Harry? With my life. Do you love Harry? I pull away from him, sliding off of him and beside him. He lays there silent, as did I. I could feel his eyes fixated on me after awhile but I force myself to fall asleep ignoring his stare.