Still the One

LVI.

I wake up the next morning after an unbelievable night with Harry. Fortunately when my eyes open I see Harry lying beside me playing with a strand of my hair. He smiles realizing I was now awake from my slumber. He stares at me, as usual. This morning we exchanged I Love You’s. Again. Everything about us just felt right. Everything was going amazing with Harry and I.

‘Good morning.’ He says with his sexy morning voice. ‘How’d you sleep?’

‘I slept, amazing.’ I gush hiding my face with the sheets.

Harry’s leg brushed against mine underneath the soft sheets. His hand was placed on my hip tracing circles with his finger.

‘I did, too.’ He agrees with a grin.

I look around the room; the walls were a simple navy blue with a few wooden dressers and nightstands here and there. A poster of the Rolling Stones was tapped to the wall. Obviously an old poster, I could see the dust on it. Thin white curtains hung on each window in the room. A flat screen hung on the wall beside us. I hadn’t noticed it last night. A few of the band’s awards sat on a long table attached to the wall. The first Brit award. An AMA. A VMA. Lastly an EMA.

‘I am going to shower.’ I announce rolling out of the bed.

Harry’s tee shirt hung loosely on me, falling at my knees.

‘Come right back.’ Harry playfully whines watching as I walk out of the room.

The hallway was empty and quiet. Faint sounds from the television were traveling up the staircase. Clattering of pots and pans ran through my ears. I scurry into the room and close the door behind me. Thankfully, unseen.

‘Well well well, there you are little Libby.’ Gemma is sat on the bed Indian style. ‘And where have you been?’

‘Across the hall.’ I dig through my suitcase for clothes while ignoring her gaze.

‘You were across the hall for quite a while last night. In fact, you two disappeared pretty early into the night.’

‘Yep, we fell asleep.’ I half-lie closing the suitcase tight.

‘Sleeping wasn’t all you did.’ She says before she gets up and walks over to the door.

‘Gemma!’ I throw my sweater across the room at her.

‘He’s my baby brother so I won’t ask for details.’ She laughs hurrying out the room before I could hurl anything else at her.

After my shower I walk back across the hall to see Harry’s fully dressed laying on the bed. He pats the side of the bed beside him once I close the door. I lay down on my back with my arms behind my head just like Harry.

‘What are you thinking?’ I wonder curiously.

‘That I never want to lose you again.’ He admits in low voice.

‘You won’t Harry.’ I briefly look over at him but he doesn’t meet my eyes. ‘You’re stuck with me.’ I let out a small laugh.

‘I’m serious, Lib.’ He sighs, ‘those few weeks without you were hell. I wouldn’t wish that on anyone. Then when I saw you with him all of those times. That literally killed me. To have you so close yet so far away. I want you all to myself all the time and forever, I know how selfish and ignorant that sounds but I really don’t care. It’s just the truth.’

‘Harry, you will not lose me. I’m not going anywhere.’

‘Promise?’ he asks curiously.

‘I promise.’ And I meant it. ‘Can I ask you something now?’

‘You can ask me anything.’

‘Um, how was it?’ the words were out before I had the chance to take them back.

Harry looks at me with confused eyes before bursting out into a fit of laughter. I attempt to roll out of the bed away from him but he holds me by my waist. It takes him a few solid moments to recollect himself.

‘Are you really worried about that?’ he asks using his thumb to stroke my cheek.

‘I wouldn’t say I’m worried about it, I prefer the term curiou- yes.’ I admit using my hand as a shield to hide my embarrassment.

‘Truthfully, it was the best I’ve ever had. Excuse how cliché that sounded.’

‘The best?’

‘The best.’ Harry confirms. ‘So amazing that I think we should do it again.’

‘Oh really? When?’

‘Right now.’

Before I knew it Harry and I were wrapped up in one another once again.



‘I need to eat something.’ Harry groans after pulling on his shirt.

‘I was thinking the same thing.’

I throw my messy hair into a ponytail, not being bothered to do it. I follow Harry downstairs to the kitchen to see everyone else sitting on the sofa.

‘There you two are. You’ve been sleep for ages.’ Des chuckles taking his eyes off the action movie on TV, ‘breakfast’s in the oven.’

‘Thank you.’ I kindly speak up as Harry opens the oven.

‘Thanks, dad.’ He adds in pulling out two large plates consisting of pancakes, bacon, and eggs.

I sit down at the tall wooden table next Harry grabbing the syrup from the middle of the table. We eat our breakfast watching the TV from the other room.

‘I’m going to show Libby around the town today.’ Harry announces washing out the dishes. ‘What are you doing today?’ he nods his head toward Gemma and Connor.

‘We’re going to swim here in a bit. Who knows what later.’ Gemma answers looking up from the movie they were all into at the moment.

‘Alright, well we’re leaving. Call us if need be.’ Harry pulls me out the front door with him.

The sun was out bright this morning and the wind slightly blew. Harry and I walk down the street of the small country town hand-in-hand.

‘The shops are not too far.’ He looks down at me with a smile. ‘So don’t worry about those feet of yours. If you get tired, I’ll carry you anyway.’

‘You’re such the gentlemen.’ I tease looking at the small shops in the distance.

One thing I noticed was how there weren’t any paps snapping pictures of Harry while we were here. Everyone simply waved and nodded their head, saying hello or good day. The change was refreshing to say the absolute least. We walk to a set of shops. A food mart. Clothing store. Diner. Flower shop. Car repair shop.

‘Best shakes ever.’ Harry smiles warmly pulling me into the small diner.

The tables were lined up alongside the wide windows. Menus were stuck to the table. Each table had four metal chairs. There were about a dozen people scattered around the diner. Almost as soon as we sat down a waitress came with a pad and a pen.

‘What can I get for you?’

‘One large vanilla shake please.’ Harry answers.

‘Right away.’ She nods before snaking away to the kitchen.

‘One?’ I raise an eyebrow to look at Harry across the table. ‘Are you already at the sharing milkshake phase?’

‘Of course.’ Harry smiles just as the large glass was placed in front of us.

Our waitress shakes a can of whip cream before topping the shake. She hands each a straw before walking away. I pull the straw from its wrapper and stick it down into the thick shake. Harry does the same before slipping the straw through a part of his pink lips.

‘Ready?’

‘I’ve been longing for this for ages.’ I tease putting the straw into my mouth. ‘Mmmm.’ I pull back to look at Harry.

‘Amazing, right?’

‘Very much so.’ I agree with a pleased nod.

‘Told you.’

After finishing our shake Harry and I go into the flower shop to look around. A tall, slime blonde with a bucket full of flowers stares directly at us. I trail behind Harry who is trying to find some amazing flower for me to smell. I wrap an arm around his, protectively. Harry pulls a flower from its stem placing it behind my ear.

‘Beautiful.’ He mutters taking a picture of me.

The mystery blonde never broke her gaze. Not even for a second.

‘Harry she’s staring.’ I whisper under my breath as he continues to walk.

‘Who is?’ he wonders curiously looking around the small flower shop.

‘Her.’

Harry’s eyes finally find the girl who suddenly turned away. Not before Harry got a good look at her though. He stares at her just as she stared a few moments ago. I could tell from here she was trying not to look anymore. She gives in and lifts her head, noticing Harry. He doesn’t say anything right away. He doesn’t even make the slightest sound.

‘Harry.’ I tug at his arm, confused.

The girl snakes through the tables of the variety of flowers. Finally I realized this blonde was making her way over to us. I hear let out an uncomfortable gulp as she nears us. Once she was in front of us, I could see just how tall she was. She was model tall, which was annoying. She towered over me by several inches. More annoying. Thanks mom for giving me your shortness.

‘Harry.’ She chimes.

‘Lauren.’ Harry says, neutrally.

‘I haven’t seen you since the last time you came to your dad’s.’ she twirls a long strand of blonde hair with her skinny fingers.

‘Yeah, I don’t come here often.’ Harry retorts, ‘been too busy.’

‘So your dad tells me, city boy.’ Lauren lets out a small laugh, to herself. ‘So…’ she says after an awkward silence waves over us. ‘Who’s this?’

Finally, someone acknowledges my existence. Just when I thought I was invisible watching this conversation take place.

‘Lauren, this is Libby, my girlfriend.’ Harry answers placing his eyes on me, ‘I’m just showing her around.’

‘You have to be pretty serious to bring her to your dad’s. I mean we talked forever before you showed me the lake.’ She giggles again.

The more she laughed the more I realized just how annoying it was. She was like Fran from the Nanny or something. But worse. Way worse. But she just said that they talked forever before Harry showed her the lake. He showed her the lake? When?

‘Yeah, that was a while ago.’ Harry shrugs.

‘Does she talk?’

Now her eyes were on me. Directly.

‘She does.’ I answer, irritated. ‘Can we go, please?’ I whisper to Harry.

‘Sure baby. Let’s get out of here’ He places a hand on my waist guiding me to the register so he can pay for the flowers. Harry holds the flowers with one hand and holds onto my waist with the other. I use my hand to grip onto his tee shirt.

As we step out of the flower shop I look back to see Lauren eyeing flowers on a table. It wasn’t a look of admiration. It was a look of hatred. Or disgust. I’m not exactly sure. I know for sure, it wasn’t a look I’d want to get if I were those flowers.