Still the One

LIX.

When I get back to Harry’s dad place with Harry we walk up the stairs in silence. The lights were off and everyone was gone. It must’ve been later than I thought because I didn’t even see Gemma or Connor on the sofa watching TV. I sit on the side of the bed while Harry shakes out of his jeans. He pulls the tee shirt from over his head and flops down in the bed beside me. The room was dark but I could feel his green eyes burning into me. His slim fingers dance on my skin slowly and gently.

‘You know that kiss meant nothing to me, right?’

‘Do you know the one in the bar meant nothing right?’ I ask back touching his hand.

‘It better not meant anything.’ He stiffs out a laugh. ‘Because you are mine.’

‘You’re mine.’ I repeat finding his face to kiss his lips.

The whiskey was traced on his tongue and the corner of his lip had blood on it. He winces into the kiss but doesn’t pull back. With one swift movement Harry pulls me onto his chest placing a firm hand on my thigh. He slightly squeezes my thigh and slipped his hand under my skirt.

‘You are mine.’ Harry says in a mutter leaving his lips connected to mine.

His lips leave from my own down to my neck peppering it with tender kisses. He uses his arm to flip us over in the bed. I wrap my legs around his shutting my eyes tight.

‘I love you Harry.’ I confess grabbing a hand full of dark curls.

‘I love you so much and I’m going to show how much I love you.’

I feel myself crumble against his assault. Right now, no one else mattered. Not Lauren, not the creep from the bar, only Harry and I. We were all I cared about. No one else existed.

The next morning I wake up to see Harry playing with my hair. He tiredly smiles down at me hooking an arm around my waist.

‘Good morning gorgeous.’

‘Good morning.’

He presses his lips to my forehead resting his head on mine.

‘I’m sorry about last night.’

‘We’re not going to let anyone get between us, right?’

‘That is exactly right.’

‘Okay good. There’s nothing to apologize for.’

‘You go back to work and class tomorrow.’ Harry sighs deeply.

I had almost forgot that holidays were now over and it was time to get back into the habit of going to class and work every day. I hadn’t been fired yet so I’m guessing Daniel hadn’t told his mother what happened between Harry and himself down at Funky Buddha. Or maybe she was waiting to fire me in person? Then there’s Lana. The girl who may have ram shacked my flat because I never got her the interview with One Direction.

‘I’m dreading that.’

‘Why?’ he asks using his elbow to support his head.

‘Because Daniel’s mum’s my boss and Lana may still be out for me.’

‘If he even looks at you I will drive there and kick his ass.’

‘Harry!’ I swat at his arm through my laugh, ‘you promised.’

‘Okay, okay. But if Lana is there, text me and I will call the police.’

‘And if she’s gone before they get there?’

‘She will be caught eventually.’

‘Okay.’

‘Don’t worry about either of them, alright?’

‘Alright.’

‘I love you.’

‘I love you.’ I repeat kissing his lips.

‘Let’s go get breakfast before we leave.’

Harry kicks his legs around in the bed to stand. His black briefs blend perfect with the swirls of black ink across his chest and back. I start to sit up but go right back down.

‘Everything okay?’

‘Just sore.’

‘I’m so sorry.’ He kneels down on the bed to hold my hand; ‘I’ll go get breakfast for you.’

‘No, I’m fine.’

‘Really, stay here and I’ll be back.’

‘Okay.’

‘Good girl.’ He presses his lips to mine before heading out the door.

He soon comes back with a plate on a tray and sets it down in front of me. Cut fruit, bacon, and some kind of cinnamon roll. While I eat Harry packs all of our stuff then takes it to the car.

‘I’m going to get dressed.’ I force myself to stand and make my way to the toilet room. Harry tries to hide his laughter watching me from the bed. ‘What?’

‘I just feel awful.’ He bursts out into a fit of laughter, ‘I’m sorry.’

‘Shut up.’ I laugh closing the door behind me.

After I get dressed Harry helps me down the stairs and into the living room where everyone was on the sofa watching TV.

‘Good morning.’ Gemma smirks playfully at me.

‘Morning.’ I call back holding Harry’s hand.

‘Everything okay?’ Des wonders.

‘Everything’s great dad.’ Harry replies kissing my hand.

‘When are you heading back to the city?’ I ask Gemma and Connor.

‘We’ll get back sometime later.’ Connor answers first.

‘Yes, I have class and he has work tomorrow.’ Gemma adds in.

‘It was so good to meet you.’ Des pulls me in for a tight hug. ‘Don’t keep her away son.’

‘I won’t. I’ll drag her back with me very soon.’

‘Thank you for having me. I had a really good time.’

‘Come back anytime. Drive safe.’

‘Will do. Call you when I make it back.’

‘Bye.’

I get into Harry’s Range Rover and he closes the door behind me. He jogs around and climbs into the car starting it up. He reaches for my hand as he backs out of the driveway.

‘I’m glad you decided to come with me.’

‘I am too. Your dad’s really nice. I see where you get your charm from.’

‘Oh really?’ he barks out a laugh turning a corner.

‘Really - he’s definitely got game.’

‘I will definitely let him know you said that when we get home.’

‘Wake me up when we get there?’

‘Go ahead. Get some rest.’

And that’s exactly what I did.

Harry’s Point of View

As I’m driving from my dad’s house Libby decides to fall asleep. She has my hand in her lap in between both of her small hands. Her lip is stuck out with the smallest pout. She is slumped over on the middle console in an attempt to be close to me I’m guessing. I come to a stop in a long line of cars. I take the opportunity to run my fingers through her hair. These few days in the country have been a test of our relationship and we passed it with flying colors. Nothing is going to come in between my Libby and me. I’ve worked too hard to win her back to let anything ruin it again. I’m just hoping she’s feeling the same way about me. I make it back to the flat after noon and carry her inside. She doesn’t move when I lift her up higher in the hallway. I carefully lay her down in my bed and pull the sheets over her body.

‘I love you more than you’ll ever know.’ I whisper gently leaving her in the bedroom by herself.

I go and get our bags from the car before turning on the TV to watch the game. I turn my phone back on for the first time in a few days. It buzzes, chimes, and dings repeatedly for a few minutes. The lads had all sent several messages about what they’ve done for their holiday. Mum’s texted. A voicemail from the police station.

Mr. Styles, it’s officer Hamilton – there’s no sign of the suspect at her residence. However, there are a lot of photos of Libby White. At least dozens. Each of the photographs has been vandalized in some form. Markings, clipping of the head, I’m sure you get what I’m hitting at here. We’re going to keep looking for her but I think Libby White should walk with caution for the time being. We don’t exactly know what this girl is capable of or where she is. If you have any questions or information please feel free to give me a call back at this number.

You have to be kidding me right? I mean this is complete and utter bullshit. There’s some psychopath out for my girlfriend over a stupid interview? And the police station doesn’t even know where the nut is. I swear as soon as we’re happy the universe decides to step in with other plans. I get up from the sofa and slowly walk down the hallway. Libby was still fast sleep. I let my fingertips graze her back and hair. She looked so peaceful and I wasn’t going to ruin that for her. If only I can have her protected without her knowing. Maybe I can.