Still the One

LX.

‘Are you sure you have to go?’ Harry pulls into the campus’ parking lot and drives around to the main building. ‘I mean we can stay home and watch movies. I’ll even watch those sappy ones if you’d like.’

‘Tempting,’ I laugh as I unbuckle my seat belt, ‘but if I miss any more classes I will flunk for sure.’

‘I doubt it. I’ll even call the head master for you.’ Harry urges grabbing a hold of my hand. ‘It’ll be fun.’

‘What is with you this morning?’ I turn to look at him.

Last night I could tell that he was acting fairly distant with me and this morning he did not want me to leave his flat. Then again, it is Harry.

‘Nothing.’ He shakes his head too many times, ‘I just hate to be away from you.’

‘You are borderline clingy.’ I tease before sliding out of his car. ‘I’ll see you at noon?’

‘I will be here.’ He leans over to meet my lips before I close the door. ‘I love you.’ He says once he rolls down the window.

‘I love you.’ I wave and head to my first class.

As I enter the building there’s a boy dressed in a black dress shirt and black jeans standing in the entrance. I’ve definitely never seen him around the campus before. His black backpack was slung over one shoulder.

‘Excuse me, could you maybe tell me where Mrs. Whinchester's room is?’

‘Sure, follow me. That’s where I’m headed actually.’

‘Okay, thank you. It’s my first day.’

‘Oh? Are you a transfer student?’

‘Nope, just a new student.’ He replies a few steps behind me. He adjusts the strap on his bag stepping beside me. ‘So, fill me in. Is this a horrible teacher?’

‘Her attitude, completely horrible. Her teaching, not too shabby.’

‘Thanks for the heads up.’ He nods as we walk into the room. He takes the open seat right beside me and takes out a black spiral.

‘Don’t you just love that color?’ I tease with a smile waiting for the class to start.

‘You could say that.’ He retorts back.

Our teacher walks to the front of the room after closing the door signaling class has started and one simply does not interrupt the class by knocking on the door. If you’re late, then you’re late. Better luck next class period and you’ll be counted absent. I focus on the overheard projector and begin to jot down the set of problems. By the end of the lecture my hand was sore from the constant writing. After class I head down the hallway with the black shadow behind me.

‘I never got your name.’ I point out glancing back at him.

‘Oliver.’ He replies, ‘now it’s off to art appreciation.’

‘I’m in that class.’ I stare up at this mysterious boy.

‘Cool, we can sit next to each other.’

‘Okay sure.’ I lead the way to our next class.

I sit down beside Eleanor on an empty stool and Oliver takes a seat beside me. I drop by back to the ground and texted Harry that I was going to be ready fairly soon.

See you then xx – Harry.

‘El, this is Oliver from my math class.’

‘Lovely to meet you..’ Eleanor waves looking up from her phone.

‘Likewise.’ Oliver retorts turning a paintbrush between his fingers.

‘Where’d he come from?’ she mouths over to me as Oliver leans forward to introduce himself to the professor. I shrug in response positioning myself in the stool.

‘We girls should get together this weekend.’ Eleanor says aloud. ‘Maybe go out to Funky Buddha?’

‘That’d be great.’ I agree twirling my brush into a tiny puddle of blue paint.

‘I’ll make the arrangements.’ She smiles flicking the canvas with green paint.

Once class was over I said goodbye to Eleanor and Oliver and headed to the main building. Harry’s white vintage car was parked right outside as promised. I slide down into his car and close the door. He was dressed a long sleeve workout top and black shorts with a pair of Nike trainers on his feet. His dark curls were shoved underneath a snapback turned backwards. I give his lips a small kiss before settling down into my seat.

‘How was class?’ he wonders driving out of the parking lot.

‘It was okay.’ I smile holding his hand. ‘Worked out today?’

‘Yeh.’ He softly chuckles, ‘have to work hard to keep up with you.’

‘That is not the slightest bit true.’ I stiff out laugh.

Harry shakes his head in response as he keeps his eyes forward on the road. His green eyes were focused on the cars in front of us. The watch on his wrist flickered with the help of the sunlight.

‘What do you want to eat for dinner?’ he asks brushing his thumb against the skin on my hand.

‘Surprise me.’

‘Are you sure you want to drive yourself to Glamour? I mean it’s not that far and I don’t mind.’ Harry offers once we get to the flat.

‘You’re not my chauffeur, you are my wonderful boyfriend. I do appreciate it but it’s fine. My car hasn’t moved in days.’ I say slipping into an office dress.

‘Fine.’ He hands me the keys holding my palm, ‘be careful.’

‘I will.’ I stand on my tiptoes to meet his lips. ‘I love you.’

‘I love you baby.’ He kisses my forehead before opening the front door for me. ‘Call me when you get a chance.’

‘You got it.’

‘And drive safe.’

‘Yes sir.’ I turn back to him before walking over to my car.

The drive to the office was long because of the Monday afternoon traffic. I go into the building and right into the office. I sit down on floor as I usual do.

‘Someone hurried in this morning. I didn’t even see you get off the lift.’ Tiffany sits on the edge of the desk filing her perfectly manicured nails. ‘How was your holiday?’

‘It was great. Harry and I went to his dad’s place out in the country.’

‘Oh? Met his old man, huh?’ a smirk is painted on her bright red lips.

‘Yes, I met his old man.’ I playfully roll my eyes at her. ‘What did you do?’

‘Well I went on a ski trip with my fiancé.’

‘Wait, fiancé?’ I stand to my feet walking over to her.

‘That happened.’ She beams holding out her left hand.

A diamond ring stuck out against her pale skin. I grab her hand with my own and bring her finger to my face. The diamond was huge, too huge for my taste but it was perfectly cut. It was absolutely breathtaking and sparkling.

‘Congratulations!’ I wrap my arms around her hugging her.

‘Thank you so much. You are officially invited to the wedding. Please say you’ll come.’

‘I’d be honored.’ I agree with a smile.

‘Good. I’ll let you get to work.’

‘Later.’ I wave sitting down on the floor and begin my research for upcoming issues.

‘Hey Lib, Jackie wants you in her office.’ Tiffany sticks her head in the door.

‘Okay.’

I feel my stomach drop to my painful heels as I stand from the floor. Here goes nothing.
♠ ♠ ♠
the next chapter will be longer and better!