Still the One

LXI.

I walk into Jackie’s office and lightly knock on the wooden door. She was on the phone but signaled for me to come in the room. I take a seat across from her and wait until she finishes the phone call.

‘You wanted to see me?’ I ask once she hangs up the phone and sets it down on the desk.

‘Yes, I did.’ She nods, half-listening. She types swiftly on her keyboard studying the screen. ‘I just wanted to ask you to set up a few photo shoots for the upcoming issue. First up, One Direction. So if you could call their management and set up a day this week for them to come in and take a few photos.’

A sudden wave of relieve washed over me.

‘I could do that.’ I nod, probably more than necessary. ‘Is that all you wanted?’

‘As of right now, yes. How was your holiday?’

‘It was interesting.’ I answer picking at my fingernails. ‘And yours?’

‘The same just about. I went out too much over the holiday – I spent most mornings coaxing a massive hangover.’ She stiffs out a laugh to herself. ‘I’ll be leaving soon to go to a board meeting so I’ll be out of touch for a few hours. Think you can manage without me?’

‘Set up the photo shoot with One Direction, file the paperwork, and finish the research.’

‘Did I mention I absolutely enjoy you?’ she laughs again as I walk out of the room.

Once I get back to my office I dial up Modest and wait while it rings. Some man answers on the other line with a mouth full of food.

‘Hello, this is Libby White from Glamour magazine. We were hoping to get the lads down sometime this week for a Q-N-A as well as a photo shoot for an upcoming issue. What day and time would be best for you?’

‘How about tomorrow at two?’

‘Just one second sir.’

I place him on hold to dial Jackie on the other line.

‘They have tomorrow at two available. Does that work for you?’

‘Sounds fine to me. Thanks Libby.’

‘Hello sir? Are you still there?’

‘I’m here.’ He answers after a moment of chewing into the line.

‘Tomorrow at two would be great.’

‘Alright. I’ll have the boys there. Talk to you later if I have any other questions.’

‘Thank you sir.’ I hang up the phone and begin to file paperwork placed on my desk this morning from Jackie.

After finishing the research I pack up my things and get ready to go back to Harry’s flat. I sling my purse and briefcase over my shoulder and head to the lift.

‘So I hear your boyfriend will be in the office tomorrow. No funny business on the desk.’

‘You can be so vile.’ I shake my head with a laugh getting on the elevator. ‘See you tomorrow!’

‘See you then love.’ She waves just as the door closes.

I walk across the road and climb into my car driving to the flat. Once I come in Harry hurries from the kitchen and wraps his arms around my waist. I return the embrace by snaking my arms around his neck. The air was filled with something that smelled incredible. A mixture of Harry’s cologne and some kind of amazing food.

‘There she is.’ He presses his lips to mine giving me a tight squeeze, ‘how was it?’

‘It was great. I booked a photo shoot for this band today.’

‘Oh really? They any good?’

‘They are amazing. I think I may have a crush one of its members.’

‘Who would that be?’

‘I don’t know his name, he’s the Irish one.’ I burst out in a fit of laughter while Harry grabs me into his arms.

‘You shouldn’t have said that.’

‘I was just joking.’

‘Too late for that.’ He laughs lifting me into his arms.

I wrap my legs around his waist and place my hands on his shoulders. Harry walks over to the sofa and gently lays me down. My heels falling off in the process. His slim fingers attack my waist rapidly.

‘Say I’m your favorite.’

‘You’re my favorite, Harry.’

‘I didn’t hear you.’

‘You’re my favorite!’ I squeal as his fingers come to a stop.

‘Thought so. Are you hungry?’

‘Very much so. What’s that incredible smell.’

‘Well you told me to surprise you.’ He extends his hand out to me helping me from the sofa. ‘I made this new beef and broccoli stir fry.’

‘It smells fantastic.’

‘I hope you think it tastes fantastic. I haven’t tried it yet.’

‘So I’m your first victim.’

‘Yeah, yeah. Sit down smartass.’

I take a seat at the table across from Harry and wait as he grabs a bowl from the dishwasher. He slides a glass white bowl in front of me with a bottle of beer. He holds a beer in his hand as he sits across from me. I take a small sip before picking up the fork. He pressed the bottle to his pink lips and tilts his head back. His Adam’s apple bobs as he takes long gulps. I take a bite of the food and stare at Harry as he stares at me.

‘It incredible.’

‘Phew.’ He stands up to get another bowl, ‘now that I know its safe. Sorry babe I had to use you as a lab rat.’

‘Jackass.’ I giggle as I take another bite. ‘Tomorrow I’ll cook dinner.’

‘I’m looking forward to that.’ He smiles over at me.

‘This weekend I’m going out with the girls.’

‘Oh? Where are you ladies going?’

‘Maybe to Buddha.’ I shrug, ‘that’s what Eleanor suggested.’

‘That sounds fun.’ He eats his food while drinking his beer. ‘I’m banned from Buddha.’ He stiffs out a laugh while shaking his head. ‘Good times.’

‘You and I will have to find a new hangout.’

‘Yes, we will.’

‘Somewhere for just you and I.’

‘I love you.’ He leans across the table and kisses my lips.

‘And I love you babe.’ I kiss him back touching his cheek with my palm.

---

‘Oh, Libby.’ Tiffany rings into my intercom.

‘Yesss?’ I call back using her singsong tone.

‘Your boyfriend’s here.’

‘Thanks.’ I laugh and scurry out onto the hallway.

Harry was leading the way down the hall with Niall, Liam, Louis, and Zayn right behind him.

‘Hi guys.’ I hug the each of them before grabbing Harry’s hand and leading them into my office.

‘Whoa.’ The guys rush inside the room.

‘Nice set up you got here babe.’ Louis spins Niall around in the large office chair.

‘Why thank you.’

‘Is this all yours?’ Liam stares out the window looking down at the streets of London.

‘Yes it is.’

‘Sick.’ Zayn laughs looking around the room.

‘It’s actually a bit plain.’ I walk over to Zayn wrapping an arm around his shoulder, ‘I was thinking you could do a bit of a graffiti poster for me whenever you got the chance.’

‘What would you want it as?’

‘Just a large board that says Glamour like graffiti.’

‘I could do that for ya. How about I work on it over the weekend?’

‘You are the best.’ I nod.

‘Uh oh. Five boys in your office. Should I be concerned?’ Jackie laughs stepping through the doorway.

‘I don’t see a reason.’ I say as I feel Harry’s arms wrap around my waist.

‘We’re family.’ Niall chimes in from the desk.

‘I’m going to see if everything’s set up for you lads. Be right back.’

Harry rests his head on my shoulder lightly humming into my ear. His large hands were still placed on each of my sides.

‘Oh get a room will ya?’ Louis barks out throwing a pen at Harry and I.

‘Shut up.’ Harry laughs kissing my cheek.

‘Alright everything’s looking good. Your team is waiting across the hall.’ Jackie walks back into the room with her phone in hand.

Harry pulls me into the other room with him and the boys. There was a clothing rack with sets of outfits hanging. Pieces of paper were placed in between the outfits reading their names. Harry. Liam. Zayn. Louis. Niall. Harry reaches over and grabs his clothes still holding onto my hand.

‘Lib! How are you sweetheart?’ Caroline, their stylist pulls me into her arms. ‘I haven’t seen you in ages!’

‘I know. How are you? How’s the baby?’

‘Brooklyn’s amazing. Her dad just took her for a diaper change – she’ll be back.’

‘I cannot wait to meet her.’

‘Lou!’ I beam once Lou steps into the room with Lux. Lux quickly rushes over allowing me to scoop her up in my arms. ‘You’ve gotten so big since you slept over my flat.’

‘Yeh. She won’t stop growing on us.’ Lou throws an arm around me, ‘how are you?’

‘I’m lovely, thank you.’

‘Be right back.’ Harry says leading the way into my office. ‘Close the door for me, will you?’

I close the door and sit on the edge of the desk waiting for Harry to change clothes. He pulls off his sweater and puts on a long-sleeve white button up. He ditches his holey jeans for ones less holey.

‘How do I look?’

‘You look great.’

‘Gee, thanks.’ He lifts my chin with his hand and smashes his lips to mine.

‘Hey I was wondering, have you heard anything back from the police station? Is it clear to back in the flat? Because I am still paying the rent there.’

‘Nope. I haven’t heard anything yet.’ He shakes his head.

‘Maybe I should call them and see what’s the hold up. I didn’t see Lana in class today so maybe she’s hiding out.’

‘No.’ Harry blinks down at me, ‘I’ll call for you. I don’t want you worrying about that.’

‘Are you sure?’

'Yep.'

'Are you okay?'

‘Yeah. I’m just a little tired.’ He replies.

I stare at him studying his facial expression. His lips said one thing but something more rested behind those green eyes.