Still the One

LXV.

The next morning I pry Harry off of me before rolling out of bed. He turns over in his sleep with a grumble but doesn't wake. I grab my phone then head into the living room.

cannot wait to see you and Harry tonight. - Tiffany.

cant wait to finally meet your fiancé, the man with such impeccable taste in jewelry. - Libby.

i know to pick em. - Tiffany.

As I go to reply to Tiffany something in the window catches my eye. A dark gray kitten with the clearest blue eyes peered into the window. I immediately stand up and go outside to meet the cat.

‘Hello, what are you doing? All out by yourself.’

The cat hesitantly walks over to me before coming to a nervous stop. I lean down to stroke his fur.

‘I won't hurt you.’ I whisper touching the cat until he allows me to pick him up.

‘Libby, what on Earth are you doing?’ Harry stands in the doorway with his arms folded across his bare chest.

‘I found this little guy out by the window all alone.’ I explain extending the cat towards Harry.

‘He could have some kind of disease. It’s a stray.’ He points out gesturing at the cat, ‘they tell you all about strays on the news every other day.’

‘I don’t think he does.’ I move past Harry going inside of the flat.

‘He can’t stay here.’ Harry grumbles behind me, ‘it’s not an animal shelter.’

‘He can stay at my flat, with me.’ I say in return going back to the room to slide my feet into my slip ons.

‘What are you talking about? You’re moving out?’

‘I never actually moved in, remember?’

‘Are you really pissed off over this cat?’ He stiffs out a laugh shaking his head.

‘It’s not about the cat, Harry.’ I grab my car keys from the coffee table’s dish and head out the flat door leaving him there.

I start up my car, which was fresh from the mechanic’s shop. I drive to the nearest veterinarian office then park the car. With the spare brush in my purse I pull my hair up into a bun then pop a piece of gum into my mouth.

‘Let’s get you checked out little fella.’ I pull the new cat from the passenger’s seat and head inside of the vet.

Harry’s Point of View

I sit on the sofa in the living room waiting for Libby to come back but it’s already been twenty minutes. She just had to find that damn cat running around outside. I go back to the bedroom to get my phone and open up a new message.

You’re coming back, right? – Harry.

I wait for about ten more minutes before I go back to the room again to get dressed. I get in my car and before I actually knew what I was doing I was in front of Pets at Home.

‘Good morning, how may I help you?’ one of the workers in a bright green vest approaches me.

‘Hey, my girlfriend found this cat today. What kind of shi- I mean what kind of stuff do I need for it?’

‘Alright, you need supplies. I’ll definitely be able to help you with that.’

I follow the bright vest through all of the lanes as he fills up the trolley with different stuff. I spent about half an hour in the place before I was filling up the boot of the car. When I make it back to the flat Libby’s car was in the front. I grab everything I could into my hands and fumble through the doorway.

‘Harry?’ she questions from the hall with that cat in her hands protectively.

‘It’s only me.’ I reply dropping the bags onto the floor, ‘listen I’m sorry about this morning. If you want the cat, you can keep him here. I don’t care.’

‘Really? I don’t want to intrude. I mean this is your flat. I could go to mine and stay there.’

‘No, I don’t want to. Besides he can keep you company while I’m gone.’

‘Thank you.’ She smiles biting her lip excitedly. ‘What’s all that?’

‘I went to the pet shop and I got some of stuff he may need.’

‘Some? It looks like you bought the entire store.’

‘There’s actually a bed and one of those scratching post deals in the car.’

‘Thank you.’ Libby repeats happily following me out to the car, ‘just so you know he’s clean. There aren’t any diseases you need to worry about, he’s just very underfed.’

‘I got some food too – dry and wet. I didn’t know which to get.’

‘I love you.’

‘I love you.’ I repeat giving her a kiss before grabbing the bed and post in my arms. ‘Got a name for him?’

‘I was hoping that you’d think of a name. I’m rubbish at it.’

I take one look at this cat she cradled in her arms. He wasn’t that hard to look at. He was actually falling asleep in her arms. I guess he was sort of cute.

‘How about Bandit?’

‘Bandit?’ she wonders stroking his fur, ‘I love it.’

‘Just one more thing.’ I head to the other room and grab one of my many bandanas and toss it to her.

Libby smiles as she ties the red bandana around the cat’s neck.

‘Now he’s good to go.’

‘Thank you Harry.’ She beams, ‘do you want to hold him?’

‘Why not?’ I shrug sitting beside her and Libby hands over the cat.

Bandit looks over at her for approval before he settles in my lap. I let one of my fingers graze the top of his head.

‘Are we still going to that dinner thing tonight?’

‘Yes and Tiffany said its more formal so you’ll have to wear one of your button ups.’

‘I was actually planning on wearing this?’ I look down at my ripped Rolling Stones shirt and my jeans with duct tape on the knees.

‘Harry.’ She laughs shaking her head, ‘as much as I love this, you can’t.’

‘Fine.’ I grumble with a smile kissing her head, ‘for you. What time does it start?’

‘Six.’

‘Great, that means we’ll be there all night listening to people ramble on as they sip their fancy drinks.’

‘I’ll be by you the entire night.’

‘Good.’



‘Are you sure I look okay?’ Libby asks me for the hundredth time since we been in the car.

‘Yes, Libby.’ I nod, keeping my voice slow, ‘I think you look incredible.’

“Take a right on the next intersection and your destination is on the right.”

I follow the GPS instructions and take the next right onto a street of large houses.

“You have arrived”

I pull into the long circular driveway with long line of cars then kill the engine.

‘This is more people than she made it seem like.’ Libby gulps looking over at me.

‘I bet you’ll be the most beautiful person there.’ I tell her attempting to make her smile before getting out the car.

I grab my black blazer and throw it over my white button up then walk over to Libby’s door. She takes my hand as I help her down to the gravel. Her black dress slides up on her thighs knocking the air from my lungs. She slips her arm through mine and we walk towards the large house.

‘So how long are we staying here?’

‘Whenever you want to leave.’ She replies back.

‘Well let’s go.’ I pretend to turn away going back to the car.

‘Stop.’ Libby laughs, ‘I’m already nervous as it is.’

‘Why are you nervous?’

‘I don’t know any one here and it seems to be a lot of people here.’

‘You know me and I know you so that’s enough.’ I hold her hand as I lean forward to knock on the glass door.

I could see the many people moving around inside of the house. Libby’s coworker hurries to the door with a glass in her hands. She opens the door with this huge smile and pulls us inside.

‘So happy you both made it!’

‘Of course we did.’ Libby replies returning the embrace.

‘Harry, lovely to see you again.’

‘Same here.’ I nod awkwardly standing close to Libby.

‘It’s a lot more people than I expected.’

‘Yes, a few people arrived last minute. I was completely unaware.’ She turns back to the people socializing, ‘come meet Paul.’

I follow the two of them to a taller, dark haired man dressed in a nice suit. He and Tiffany share a deep kiss causing me to slightly shift over. Libby turns back to me with a smile once I place my hands on her waist.

‘Honey, this is Libby. The girl I told you about and her boyfriend mister Harry Styles. This is Paul.’

‘It’s great to meet the both of you.’ He nods his head as he drinks a very familiar dark liquid. ‘Harry, could I interest you in a glass of Scotch?’

‘Yes, go mingle.’ Tiffany gives me a small push towards her fiancé.

‘I’ll be right back.’ I whisper to Libby leaving a small kiss on her cheek.

She nods as I walk to follow Paul over to the drinks. On the way across the room I received several looks but no one ever approached me. Paul prepares me a drink and slides it over to me.

‘So tell me you about yourself.’

‘There’s really nothing to tell.’ I stare at the ice cubes in my small glass, ‘I mean, everything’s pretty slow right now.’

‘In your life? I wouldn’t think that it was ever slow.’

‘Well it’s actually not. It’s slow compared to what its about to be like. Going from country to country, having a show nearly every single night.’

‘Oh, right. Where are you headed first?’

‘Colombia. We’ll head out in a week.’

‘Will she be joining you?’ he catches my gaze at Libby.

‘No, she has her responsibilities at Glamour and still has her classes going on right now so we’ll be apart for awhile.’

Libby notices my stare and softly smiles over to me. I bring the scotch to my lips and take a small sip.

‘I don’t know how you do it. I’d go crazy without Tiffany over there.’

‘I don’t know how I do either.’