Still the One

LXVI.

As I’m talking to some of Tiffany’s friends I look over to see Harry in deep conversation with her fiancé, Paul. Harry nods his head a few times as he runs a hand up and down his sleeve. One of his nervous slash anxious ticks. He notices my gaze once I offer him a small smile. He nods once again bringing the glass to his pink lips. When he finishes off his drink he notices that I’m still staring at him.

‘Are you okay?’ I mouth across the room.

‘Yep.’ He returns the silent word and turns back to talk with Paul some more.

‘Alright, everyone – dinner time!’ Tiffany announces about twenty minutes later.

I find a seat beside her and Harry slides in next to me. Under the table he places his hand on my thigh drawing small circles with his narrow finger. I place my hand on top of his comforting him. Even though he tried to hide it I could see how tense he actually was. While we’re waiting for the food to be passed around I lean my head on his arm and he returns the gesture by wrapping an arm around me. Tiffany gives me a knowing smile as she passes the salad down to me. I give Harry some on his plate as well as mine before he hands it to the man beside him. He silently kisses my head letting his lips linger.

‘I love you.’

‘I love you too.’ I reply quietly looking into his deep green eyes for an answer.

‘So, Harry – how’s the fast life?’ some man in a suit asks from across the table.

‘It’s going good, thanks.’

‘God it must feel great to make millions by doing nothing.’ He barks out a laugh and the entire table shifts over uncomfortably.

‘Richard.’ Paul warns clearing his throat.

‘Excuse me? What is that supposed to mean?’ Harry’s jaw slightly tightens as it always did when he was pissed off.

‘Nothing, nothing. I hope you don’t take this the wrong way. I was just saying how lucky you are to make so much for not having to work too much.’ The guy says in a condescending tone as he takes a swig of his drink, ‘must be nice.’

‘Ignore him.’ I whisper over to Harry while holding his hand tightly under the table.

He exhales stabbing the lettuce on his plate and placing it in his mouth. Dinner rolls around and this Richard guy obnoxiously talks all night. Everyone moves to the living room to hear Paul’s story about how he met Tiffany. Harry listens contently but I could see he was tired and ready to leave.

‘We can leave if you want.’ I lean over to him to say. ‘I think we’ve been here quite a good amount of time.’

‘I’ll get my jacket.’ He stands from the seat and heads down the hallway.

‘I’m sorry again if I offended your boyfriend.’ Richard stumbles towards my way.

‘Harry has tough skin.’ I look over my shoulder glancing for Harry but he wasn’t there.

‘I mean, you do have to see where I’m coming from, don’t you?’

‘No sir, I don’t think I do.’ I stand up readjusting my purse on my shoulder. ‘You don’t know a thing about how hard he works. You may not think he has a “real job” but I do. He works his ass off writing, singing, and performing. You can’t even begin to understand how hard it is to do what Harry does.’

‘I thought you being a common every day worker like me would understand.’

‘I highly suggest you get away from her before I make you get away from her.’ Harry says hovering behind me.

He places a hand on my waist protectively pushing me into him. His eyes burn into Richard while Richard tilts his head back to laugh.

‘Oh real tough skin this one has.’ Richard scoffs digging into his pockets for a cigarette. ‘Here, relax.’ His drunken hand thrusts over me to Harry.

With a quick swipe Harry knocks the cigarette out his hands and bends over to drop it into a glass.

‘I don’t know you, you don’t know me but I swear to you if you ever do shit like that again you will regret it. Don’t ever put anything in my face and never reach over my girlfriend.’

‘How about taking this outside, yeah?’ Richard nearly falls over when he pulls his jacket off of himself.

‘Now, now Rich. Calm down.’ Paul pulls his drunken friend away while Tiffany rushes over to us.

‘I am incredibly sorry about that. Richard has a bit of a problem. He has no filter when he’s drinking. Please forgive me.’

‘Not your fault, I will be in the car Libby.’ Harry says with tighten fists then makes his way to the doors.

‘I hope I haven’t started anything between you two.’

‘No, not at all. He’s just a bit aggravated that’s all – he’ll be good as new tomorrow morning. I will see you on Monday.’

‘See you then love.’

I adjust my purse once more then head out the door walking over to the line of cars. I slide into the car and fasten my seat belt just as Harry backs out of the driveway.

‘That was fun.’ He mutters keeping his eyes forward.

‘Yeah, wasn’t expecting that.’

‘It was your idea to go, wasn’t it?’

‘And that makes it my fault?’

‘I’m just saying that-…’ Harry starts but I lean over to place my hand on his mouth.

‘Please don’t say anything you’ll regret.’

‘What?’

‘I know that you’re leaving soon and that’s when you start pushing me away please don’t.’

‘That’s not true.’

‘Yes it is. Every time you’re about to leave you turn into this asshole and I hate it. I don’t like when you leave either but its your job and I understand that.’

‘I do not act like an asshole.’ He frowns defensively. ‘Can’t believe you just said that.’

‘I can’t believe you’re so far in denial.’

‘I am not in denial.’ Harry fires back, ‘god I’m going to miss your smartass mouth.’

‘I’m going to miss you too so shouldn’t we enjoy the time we do have together?’

‘You’re right.’ He mutters coming to a brief stop at the stop sign, ‘I love you.’ He leaves a gentle kiss on my cheek.

‘I love you, Harry.’

‘So since you don’t like to be kept in the dark, I thought I’d fill you on my plans with this whole Lana thing.’

‘Oh really? What is it?’

‘I can’t tell you, just yet but if things go my way then this will be taken care of before I leave for Colombia.’

‘Harry…’

‘I just need you to trust me.’

‘Fine.’

‘That a girl.’ He laughs driving to his flat.

….

Harry’s Point of View

The next morning I roll out of bed to see Libby was not beside me. It doesn’t matter what time I wake up; she’ll always be up before me. Every single time.

‘Baby?’ I call tiredly, ‘Lib.’

‘Yes?’ she scurries through the doorway, ‘is everything okay?’

‘Yeah, I just wanted you to lay with me.’

‘Okay.’ She agrees before easing into the bed beside me.

‘What time is it?’ I ask wrapping my arms around her and she rests her chin on my shoulder.

‘Seven.’

‘You wake up too early.’ I complain already on my way back to bed.

‘We’re still visiting with my mum later, right?’

‘I don’t see why not.’ I mutter holding Libby there with me for a few more hours.

When I wake Libby is still in my arms, fast asleep. I slowly ease myself from her and snake to the toilet. I come out and grab the remote flopping down onto the sofa. Bandit slowly stalks through the living room before settling down into his new bed. I guess the cat wasn’t so bad. He didn’t make much noise and he didn’t need much attention.

‘Psst.’ I snap my fingers in his direction, ‘come here.’

He stares at me uneasily; I guess I’m no Libby. I carefully watch him as he carefully watches me. He stands on his four paws before leaping into my lap. I use my fingers to stroke the soft fur while he happily purred.

‘See, I’m not all that bad.’ I say under my breath, ‘I guess you’re not either.’

‘Harry Styles playing with a kitten?’ Libby says in the doorway with a smirk on her face and her phone in her hands, ‘I’m glad I got a picture to capture this moment.’

‘Knock it off.’ I laugh shaking my head at her, ‘this is why I don’t play with him now. You will make a big fuss about it.’

‘Fine, no fuss.’ She says defeated and plops down beside me, ‘I think it is quite cute though.’

‘When are you wanting to leave for your mum?’

‘I guess whenever I get dressed since you made me go back to bed this morning.’

‘Excuse me for not getting up at the crack of dawn.’

‘I’m going to shower, see you in a bit.’

‘Please tell me that I do not have to wear another suit today.’

‘No, I think your jeans and tee shirt will be fine.’

‘Good.’

‘Be right back.’ Libby leans in and barely presses her lips to mine.

I watch quietly as her hips sway with every move she made. She turns back to give me a smile before slipping into the other room.

‘That girl will be the death of me pal.’

….

‘If you unbuckle then rebuckle that seat belt again I am going to throw myself from the car.’ I comment looking at Libby as I take my eyes off of the GPS.

‘It’s bothering me.’ She whines looking out the window.

‘It’s not the seat belt. It’s the fact that we are only five miles away from your mum and you’re scared that it’ll be a repeat of last time.’

‘No, your seat belts are just really annoying.’

‘What’s that word you were saying? I believe it was denial.’

‘Shut up.’ Libby frowns biting onto her soft lips.

‘I can assure you that everything is going to be fine. We are going to sit down with your mum and we’re going to laugh and tell jokes and everyone’s going to leave happy. Do you understand?’

‘How can you be so sure?’

‘Look who’s talking here. Have I been wrong yet?’

‘Please don’t make me answer that.’ She teases before finally settling down into her seat and I was grateful.