Still the One

LXXI.

Harry’s Point of View

I wake up the next morning to see Libby up typing on her computer. I groan and roll over silencing my alarm. Outside the sky was dark and so was the room.

‘It’s six in the morning. I know why I have to be up but what are you doing up?’ I grumble tiredly, ‘please don’t tell me that you’re doing work right now.’

Libby doesn’t respond so I lean over to peer at the bright screen. She was reading an article about Lana. A single tear travels down her soft cheek as she sniffles.

‘What are you doing?’

‘She was only twenty years old.’

‘You have got to stop this,’ I close the laptop pulling it away from her, ‘this is not healthy.’

‘Believe me, I don’t want to keep thinking about this. I just cannot help but think about her. She was someone who was supposed to be my friend and turned on me – now she’s dead. All because I just didn’t give her that one thing she asked for in the beginning.’

‘Can you please try – for me.’ I roll out of the bed placing her laptop on the dresser, ‘you did nothing wrong.’ With that I go to get ready for rehearsals this morning. We had two more days to go before we were all set to meet up in Bogota. ‘Come to rehearsals with me.’

‘I don’t know Harry. I’m just dreading all of the stares and questions.’ Libby frowns stroking Bandit’s short fur.

‘I’ll make sure no one stares or asks any questions,’ I promise extending my arm out to her, ‘you can bring bandit.’

‘Okay.’ Libby finally gives in taking my hand.



‘Hey guys – a quick favor.’ I say as we were all ushered into the backroom for the fitting. ‘I would really appreciate it if you treat Libby as you did before all of this happened. She’s really not ready for the questions right now.’

‘Sure anything for Lizard.’ Liam chimes and the others quickly nod.

‘Thanks.’

‘So, how is she holding up?’ Zayn asks curiously.

‘Terribly,’ I sigh, ‘I caught her reading articles about Lana at six this morning. I don’t even know if she went to bed last night. She’s blaming herself for all of this.’

‘Oh man, what are you going to do?’ Niall leans forward in his chair to look at me.

‘I haven’t got the slightest idea. We leave in a few days and the last thing I want to do is leave her at a time like this.’

‘Just tell her to come with us.’ Louis suggests, ‘Perrie’s coming.’

‘But Libby is still in those classes and she’s always at Glamour when she’s not at school.’

‘I’m sure the university and her boss will understand.’

‘Good idea – I’ll just need to pull a few strings and pray she’ll say yes.’

‘There you are.’ Libby smiles as I sit beside her on the extremely long runway. ‘This is what you’ll be running down every single night?’

‘A prototype of it. The actual stage is waiting for us in Bogota.’

‘Bogota – that’s really far away from here, huh?’

‘It’s an eleven hour flight so it’s pretty far.’ I nod looking into her watery eyes, ‘what’s the matter?’

‘I’ll just miss you that’s all.’

‘Then come with me. To Bogota.’

‘You know I can’t…’

‘But you can.’

‘There’s Glamour and classes. I couldn’t possibly miss another day of either.’

‘Luckily I just talked to both and they agree – time away from London will do you good. That is if you’re willing to go with me.’

‘You are crazy.’

‘Does that mean you’ll go?’

‘We’re going to Bogota?’ Libby couldn’t hold back her smile any longer.

‘And any where else you want to go.’

‘I love you Harry.’

‘I love you, so much.’ I kiss her lips letting mine linger for a moment. ‘As soon as we get back we’ll pack our things.’

Libby watches quietly with Bandit on her lap for the remainder of rehearsals.

‘Is she coming?’ Niall mouths over at me during Zayn’s solo.

‘Yeah.’ I nod running a hand over my mouth.

‘Lizabeth’s coming on tour!’ Niall announces and the others jump from the stage.

‘Lizard!’

I watch as the four of them rush over to Libby and pull her from her seat. Bandit jumps aside anxiously watching them. Libby laughs as they lift her into the air running around with her.

‘If any of you drop her, I’m kicking your ass.’ I laugh leaping from the stage to follow them.

I pull my girlfriend’s body from their hands and hold her in my arms. She was still laughing uncontrollably from their assault.

‘Alright you lads – go home!’ Scott, the choreographer releases us. ‘See you in the morning.’

‘Come on, let’s go pack.’ I smile taking her hand and pulling her out the door, ‘later boys.’

Once Libby and I get back to the flat I pull out the suitcases from the back closet to get started. I order us a pizza so we won’t have to leave anymore tonight.

‘Do you have to be so organized.’ I laugh pulling the shirts from her hands, ‘just toss it in like so.’

‘Do you have to be so annoying.’ She giggles making a face at me.

‘That would be the pizza delivery guy,’ I say overhearing the buzzer.

‘I’ll get it.’ She volunteers standing to her feet.

‘My wallet’s by the door.’ I tell her as she slides out of the room.

‘Harry…’ she calls out to me from the other room. ‘Could you come here please?’

‘Be right there.’ I call back trying to fold the last few items in my hands.

‘Harry.’ Libby calls again, her voice shaky.

I jump from the suitcase and hurry down the hall. Instead of the pizza guy it was some woman dressed fancy from head to toe. Libby looks at me with nervous eyes and a frown.

‘Who’s this?’ I ask curiously placing a hand on her side.

‘Lana’s mum.’ Libby swallows so hard that I could hear it.

‘Hello.’ The woman at the door finally speaks. ‘May I come in?’

Libby’s Point of View

‘Sure.’ Harry says keeping his eyes on me.

Lana’s mum was here. She was actually here in the flat. Right now. Just a mere few days after her daughter’s death. What did she want? Why would she even want to be here in the same room as me?

‘I’m being terribly rude – my name is Helena Rivers.’

‘Harry and this is Libby.’ Harry points sitting beside me in the loveseat.

‘You’re not an easy pair to find.’ She clears her throat as she sits down on the sofa.

‘In the nicest way possible – why would you try to find us?’ Harry wonders placing on of his hands on my thigh, ‘what brings you by?’

‘I heard the horrible things that they’re saying about my daughter. I just can’t bring myself to believe it until I hear it from you.’ She focuses her eyes on me.

‘I honestly couldn’t tell you any more that what you’ve heard.’ I tell her as harry grabs a hold of my hand.

‘Oh surely that isn’t true. You better than anyone would be able to tell me what happened.’

‘I’m not sure what you want to hear.’

‘The truth.’