Still the One

LXXVIII.

‘Hello, there Tiff.’ Christopher, Tiffany’s brother-in-law grins running a hand through his dark hair, ‘Paul’s right out front.’

‘Okay, let me get my purse.’ Tiffany slowly lifts her body from the chair as waddles towards the doorway, ‘this is Libby, she works here as well.’

‘Libby, that’s an interesting name. Is it short for something?’ Christopher extends his hand out to me.

‘Elizabeth but Libby is what I go as.’ I explain shaking his firm hand, ‘nice to meet you.’

‘Will you be joining us for lunch?’

‘Not today, sorry. I’m having lunch with my boyfriend, he should be here shortly.’

‘That’s too bad. I hope to be seeing you around, Libby.’

‘Bye bye.’ I wave as he walks out of the building.

It wasn’t long before Harry was silently hovering in the doorway with the slightest smile. He was dressed in a pair of jeans, a white button up along with his brown lace up boots.

‘How long have you been standing there?’ I question raising an eyebrow at him as I stand to my feet.

‘Just a couple of minutes. I love watching you work.’ He replies taking my hand as he helps me into my heels. ‘It looks pretty sexy.’ He grips my waist with his large hand, ‘really sexy actually.’

‘Stop it.’ I giggle pushing into Harry, ‘I am on company grounds.’

‘That makes it so much more exciting.’ He whispers seductively, ‘Have a little more fun.’

‘Wouldn’t you say yesterday was pretty fun?’

‘Don’t remind me.’ He laughs, ‘if we leave now we may just have time for lunch and dessert.’

I follow Harry out of my office as I lock it behind me. We ended up going to a diner not too far from the office. Harry and I find a booth in the back of the restaurant out of the view of most people inside.

‘So, I’m going to LA for about a week.’ Harry breaks in as we were waiting for our food.

‘Wait, why would you be going to LA?’

‘Well, I’m meeting with a few people to write for the new album. The boys and I also have the James Corden show to film.’

‘You just got back.’ I try to be supportive but I couldn’t hide my disappointment, ‘and now you’re leaving again.’

‘I know, I know. I hate it but we really need to get started before we hit the road again. I wish that somehow you could come with me but I know you have your obligations with Glamour. I can’t pull you away from that again.’

‘I’m not sure that I have any more holiday time to use. Jackie’s let me go so many times but now that I’m working for a permanent position I don’t think that I can just jump on a plane and go to a different country whenever I want.’ I sigh twirling the straw in the glass, ‘when do you leave?’

‘Tomorrow night.’

‘Harry! You know how much I hate when you spring these things on me in the last minute.’

‘I know and I’m sorry. I just hate leaving you. It never seems like the right time to bring this stuff up.’

‘Well, because it’s work. Have fun.’ I attempt to smile intertwining my fingers with Harry’s.

‘Will you manage without me?’

‘I made it months so I think I can drag myself through a week.’

After lunch, Harry drops me back off at Glamour so he could go home and pack for his trip to the states. As I’m finishing for the day Jackie calls me into her office for that meeting.

‘You’ve been here for quite some time now and you’ve managed to exceed my expectations of an intern. You know what you’re doing and how to do it efficiently. You bring a lot to our team and to Glamour.’

‘I love it here so much.’

‘I’ve spoken to several people in the building and we all agree. We just couldn’t let you leave once your internship is over. If you are willing then Glamour would be pleased to have you. Of course we would have to pay you the same wage as other entry employees, I think you’ll find it a bit more generous than your intern pay.’

‘I am more than willing. Thank you so much Jackie.’

‘Welcome aboard, officially.’

Once the meeting was over I finish up for the day then head home to spend time with Harry. Harry was lying on the sofa with Bandit in his lip absentmindedly stroking Bandit’s smooth coat. His green eyes rise as a smile briefly appears on his face before vanishing. I silently watch as Harry stands to his feet and drags himself to the bedroom, lying on the bed.

‘What’s the matter?’ I murmur lying down on the bed beside him rubbing his arm.

‘Sometimes I just get this feeling that you’re okay with me being gone all the time. It’s stupid I know, you understand that this is the only way I can do what I do and that’s one of the many things that I love about you. I just can’t help but have this annoying ass thought in the back of my head that you’re so used to me being gone, that you don’t mind when I’m not around and I never want it to be like that.’

‘It never will. I will never be used to you being gone, actually. I don’t want to make leaving any harder on you than it needs to be so I try to keep a brave face on – for you. I’m still not used to watching you walk through that terminal even if it’s for a week or so.’

‘I’m sorry.’ Harry whispers shaking his head as he stares up at the high ceilings, ‘I constantly worry about whether or not you’re going to find someone who can be here for you all the time.’

‘Please don’t start doubting us or my love for you.’

‘I won’t, I’m sorry. I love you Lib.’

‘I love you.’

‘How did that meeting with Jackie go?’

‘I got the position.’ I beam, ‘she’s increasing my pay too.’

‘Congratulations baby.’ Harry cheers peppering me with kisses instantly, ‘so happy for you. I think this calls for a celebration. Tonight you and I will be going to your favorite restaurant for dinner. Go get ready and we will leave at 8.’

I kiss Harry’s soft lips before scurrying over to the closet to look for something to wear. I pick out one of my black thin-strapped dresses then head into the other room to shower. I wrap the towel around my body and go into the bedroom to get dressed.

‘Aren’t you going to get ready?’ I wonder bending over in one of the drawers for a bra.

‘It takes you longer.’ He smirks looking up from his phone, ‘I guess I’ll jump in the shower.’

I use Harry’s absence as an opportunity to put my dress on and mess with my hair, leaving it wavy. Harry emerges from the shower with a towel wrapped around his lower half while his chest was sprinkled with water droplets.

‘How in the hell did I get so lucky to land someone as gorgeous as you?’ Harry breathes places his hands on my sides to pull me to him. ‘You’re incredible.’

‘You’re sweet.’ I smile up at my adoring boyfriend.

Harry gets dressed in a sheer button down with black skinnies and his classic dark brown boots. His dark almond colored hair graced his shoulders getting longer nearly every moment. I take a moment to admire him as he searched for his car keys and wallet.

‘What are you staring at?’

‘You.’

‘And do you like what you see?’

‘Very much so.’

I pour Bandit a fresh tray of food and milk so Harry and I could go eat dinner. Harry parks the car near the front then gets out to help me inside. A firm grip is placed on my waist as we walk as Harry always did. We were seated nearly as soon as we got there seeing how Harry knows the owner so well.

‘Libby, Harry.’ Tiffany flags us down as we snake through the tables, ‘Hi how are you?’

‘We’re good, good.’ Harry nods politely, ‘we’re just here to celebrate Libby getting on at Glamour.’

‘Looks like we’re neighbors.’ Tiffany laughs as we sit down at the table directly beside hers. ‘Paul sent me in while he and Christopher find a parking space.’

Paul and his younger brother Christopher that I met at the office earlier take long strides as they make their way over to the tables.

‘Hello, Libby. Nice to see again.’ He speaks before taking a menu in his hand and sitting down at the table.

‘We met at work earlier, he’s Paul’s younger brother.’

‘Hey Harry, Libby.’ Paul smiles with a friendly wave, ‘any recommendations?’

‘The steak’s really good.’ Harry answers back waving as well.

During dinner I would catch Christopher’s eyes in our direction ever so often. Apparently Harry did too.

‘Someone’s got themselves an admirer.’
♠ ♠ ♠
yay for a new chapter! i am officially done with this semester so there's three full months of writing! hope you enjoyed the chapter and come back to see what happens next.

Still the One is updated on Sundays and Wednesdays.