Still the One

LXXXIX.

I stare at the line of words again and again trying to process an acceptable response in my mind. From the look of it, my brother was pleased to hear about my mom’s homecoming. A numb feeling swept over me silencing every thought that was previously in my mind. I do miss my mom being around but I couldn’t help but fear that things would slowly go back to the way they were. The mood swings, the shouting, the delusions, and every thing else that I didn’t like about my mom. I missed her hugs and the genuine laughter that would fall from her bright smile. I just didn’t know which mother would be coming home.

‘I know that look,’ Harry speaks from across the room with knitted eyebrows, ‘what’s the matter?’ Unable to reply vocally I simply hand over my phone to Harry. I watch as he reads the screen with squinted eyes before looking up at me, ‘are you not happy about your mom coming home?’

‘I’m gonna go sound check with the band.’ Niall subtlety excuses himself from the room before walking out.

Harry quietly takes my hand and pulls me over to the sofa to sit down. I kick my legs over his lap as he warms an arm around me. Harry uses his fingers to draw small, comforting circles on my back.

‘Talk to me, what’s going through that mind of yours?’ he wonders curiously with concerned eyebrow.

‘I’m just nervous about what to expect with her. Sometimes she can be this amazing person and other times she’s a literal nightmare. I guess that I’m a bit scared.’

‘But she’s been doing better, yeh?’

‘She is.’

‘And you don’t live there anymore, remember?’ Harry asks with a small grin, ‘it’s not like you’ll be there with her twenty-four hours of the day. I think that it’ll be nice if she’s around more, you know.’

‘I guess you’re right.’ I quietly retort looking up at him, ‘at least this go around I’ll have my own place away from there.’

‘So just see how it goes, first.’ He murmurs pressing his pink lips to my forehead, ‘It’ll be okay.’

‘Harry, time for those meet and greets.’ Sam hovers in the doorway with a black walkie-talkie in his grasp.

‘I will be back soon all right?’

‘Okay.’

‘I love you.’

‘I love you too.’ I slide my legs from Harry’s lap allowing him to stand to his feet before following the others down the hall where a few lucky fans waited. Sophia comes in and flops down on the sofa beside me. The two of us walk around backstage while the boys got ready for tonight’s show. While McBusted were out on stage we went down near the sound equipment where we always stood at every show.

‘LIBBY! SOPHIA!’ Fans behind us shouted and squealed as another McBusted song died down. Lottie and Lou came to join us just as the intermission was over.

After the show was over everyone parted ways as we headed back to London. In a few days Harry would be off to a string of dates while I would be working at Glamour. Fashion week was coming up so things were pretty hectic at the office. I loved my job but I was going to miss seeing the boys perform every night. Sophia was in the same boat I was in with her internship at the Booking Agency as well as attending classes over in Birmingham. Harry and I first stop off at Anne’s house to get Bandit before heading to our own home.

‘Please tell me why we decided to get a house with such big steps.’ I complain through a laugh looking at all the steps that faced me, ‘I don’t think I’ll make it.’

‘Come on.’ Harry smiles placing a hand under my legs to lift me in his arms, ‘I think this was your idea by the way.’ He teases as he carries me up the circular steps.

‘Please do not drop me.’

‘You mean like this.’ Harry stumbles on the steps before catching himself with a loud laugh. ‘Ooops.’

‘Harry I swear!’ I laugh burying my face into his shirt, ‘I will hurt you.’



A couple of days later, Harry woke up in the wee hours of the morning to leave for his show in Vienna. I sit up in the bed watching him pull his duffle bag over his shoulder quietly. He tosses his phone and wallet down into it then walks over to my side of the bed.

‘Do good, yeh?’ I smile wrapping my arms around his neck to hold him there with me. ‘The best you can be.’

‘And nothing less.’ He nods pressing his forehead against mine, ‘you too, all right? Call me when you get out of classes I should be there by then.’

‘Okay. Stay safe.’

‘I will. I better go. Sam’s outside.’

‘I love you.’

‘I love you.’ Harry repeats allowing his lips to linger against mine.

“Front door.” The alarm system sounds as Harry heads out side and gets into the black car out front.

A couple of hours later I got up and decided to take a hot shower to wake myself up. After my shower I slipped into a distressed pair of black jeans, one of Harry’s plaid shirts and a simple pair of white shoes before hurrying down the stairs to gather my paper from last night.

‘Good morning Bandit.’ I smile as Bandit curls into his bed on the floor, ‘I will see you after class, yeah? Be good.’

I find my seat in literature where Will, my professor sat on his desk with a stack of papers in his lap. I pull my assignment out of my bag walking over to him.

‘Good morning, Libby.’ He smiles looking up at me, ‘do you have something that’s going to knock me out of my seat?’

‘Good morning, Will. With all the hours I’ve worked on it, I sure hope so.’ I reply handing over my paper.

‘I was very impressed with your last paper to be quiet honest. One of the best of this term thus far.’ Mr. Jacobs praises running a hand across his subtle stubble. ‘You are an excellent writer.’

‘That’s very kind of you, thanks.’ I excuse myself and walk over to my seat before class officially started. I could hear the girls behind me whispering to each other, about me I was sure of it. I was thankful when Will finally dismissed us for the day.

‘Miss. White, could you hold back for a moment?’ Will calls from the front of the room. I swallow looking at the judging eyes of my classmates before walking over to him.

‘Yes sir?’

‘Each semester, I have a small group of my best students meet once a week for small creative sessions. We bounce ideas off each other and give helpful criticism to help you perform excellently throughout the term. Would you be interested?’

‘It does sound great but between classes and my job I don’t think I could possible take anything else on right now, I’m sorry.’

‘Just think about it. You can join whenever you’d like.’ Will urges as I turn to walk away, ‘have a good day Miss. White.’

I was happy to get to communications and find my usual seat in the room. Max, Eleanor’s friend sat up front on his gold iPhone not even bothering to say his typical hello. Christopher, Tiffany’s brother-in-law flopped down silently in his seat. I didn’t know what exactly was going on but there was definitely some tension in the air between the two of them. I hadn’t talked to Max or Christopher since the house warming party where Christopher tongue-wrestled with Niall’s former girlfriend Melissa. I was so sure that Christopher was into Max and was secretly hiding it but I decided that I would let him come out on his own terms with himself in private or however he chose to do it. Once class was over I toss all of my things down into my bag then head out into the crowded hallway. Christopher trails behind, his car not too far from mine.

‘Hey, wait up.’ Christopher calls out jogging up to catch up with me, ‘I know we haven’t talked since-…’

‘Since you came into our house and cheated with a girl that is with one of my closest friends?’

‘Yeah, I don’t know what came over me honestly.’

‘Please save the speech, I’m not starting any rumors or talking to Max. Our only thing in common is Tiffany so as far as classes go, let’s just stay out of each other’s way.’ I shake my head as I unlock my car and slide into it to head to Glamour.
♠ ♠ ♠
hiiii! im a day late but here's chapter 89! getting pretty close to 100! comments and suggestions are always welcome so feel free to leave something. come back on wednesday to see what happens next!