Still the One

XCI.

Charlie, at the front desk informs me that my father, little brother Tanner, and my newly released mother were downstairs. I hadn’t seen schizophrenic episode. I rock back and forth anxiously as the lift’s door slide open slowly. Tanner was the first to step out, towering over me as usual. My dad holds onto my mum’s hand guiding her off the lift.

‘Fancy,’ Tanner laughs wrapping his long arms around me for a hug, ‘I could definitely get used to all those models sitting around in the lobby down there.’

‘You are awful.’ I make an unimpressed face before heading over to my parents. I hug my dad first, who muffles a “hello sweetheart” into my hair before wrapping my arms around my mum. The treatment facility did her wonders for long span of months she was there. ‘Hi, mum.’

‘This is very impressive honey, I’m so proud of you.’

‘You have to see my office.’ I insist pulling her along with me down the hall. The three of them file inside behind me, each looking around with amazement. After giving them a brief tour of Glamour, we head down the road to get something to eat at a nearby restaurant.

‘How’s Harry?’ mum asks as the food is placed down in front of us.

‘He’s good, they have a few shows this week and he’ll be home on Sunday.’

‘I would love to have him over at the house for dinner if he’d be up for it after his flight. It feels like it’s been ages since we had a Sunday family dinner. I would love to get back in the kitchen and make some of my famous dishes.’

‘I will definitely run it past him.’

After finishing my day off at Glamour, I head back home to work on my assignments for class tomorrow. Harry and I made plans to FaceTime after the show but I knew how tired he would be after performing and a full day of press interviews. The next morning, I wake up with a text from Harry.

Good morning baby, I just wanted to let you know how sorry I am about missing out an opportunity to see you. I’ll make up when I come home, promise. I love you. – Harry.

I understand that you’re busy. There’s no need to apologize but I definitely will hold you to that once you get home. Have a great day, I love you. – Libby.

With that I drag a simple pair of black skinnies up legs along with a white sweater and my black Chelsea boots. Bandit, the cat I have with Harry is fast asleep in the corner of the room when I walk down the stairs. I head to Literature my first class of the day with the young, easy-going professor Will Jacobs. I turn my assignment in before finding my seat just as he walks into the room tossing his briefcase aside. He rolls up his sleeves and loosens his tie before jumping right into another lecture.

‘Libby, a moment please.’ Will calls as everyone rushes out of the door once class was over.

‘Yes sir?’ I wonder adjusting my bag on my shoulder after pulling my phone out.

‘Have you given any thought about joining this semester’s writing group, we’re about to start soon and I could use another excellent writer in the group.’

‘Sorry, like I mentioned before – with class and work, I couldn’t possibly find the time to write for fun.’

‘All right, if you say so. You can’t blame a guy for asking, right?’

I politely excuse myself before heading to Communications, my second class of the day. The air feels tight and uncomfortable, as Max Eleanor’s friend and my co-worker’s brother-in-law Christopher make eye contact. I knew that there was something going on but I just didn’t know how complicated it was. Christopher seems to have a thing for Max yet was making out with Melissa, Niall’s ex girlfriend while she was with Niall at the time. I wasn’t sure if they were on speaking terms yet but from the looks of it, not a chance.

‘I could really use your help.’ Christopher leans forward in his seat to whisper in my ear, ‘I screwed up terribly. I want to make things right.’

I purse my lips wondering if I should make him grovel after the stunt he pulled. I turn around in my seat to study his expression. He actually seemed sincere.

‘Fine. What is it?’ I give in, hoping that I won’t regret involving myself into this. If Harry was around I’m sure he’d give me that stare of his, silently saying “you really shouldn’t meddle into other people’s personal issues. Let them handle it on their own.” Even though he was the kindest person I knew, he still insisted on letting people sort through their issues by themselves. Luckily, Harry wasn’t here right now.



I catch Max after class in the crowded, laughter filled hall. He runs his skinny fingers through his black hair coming to a brief stop.

‘Hey, Libby. What’s up?’ he wonders readjusting the straps of his backpack on his shoulders.

‘I was wondering, would you want to get together and study this weekend? We have that exam coming up and I was trying to form a little study group. You could come by the house, we could study a little, watch a lot of movies, drink a lot of wine.’ I suggest, hoping he doesn’t catch on to the plan.

‘I’ll to check and see if I have any thing scheduled but if not, I’d love to.’

‘Alright just let me know.’ I wave heading out to the parking lot where Christopher waited, chewing on his fingernails.

‘How’d it go?’ he blurts out impatiently pushing himself away from his car.

‘He said he’ll have to check but I think it looks promising. You might want to find something to wear for this weekend.’

‘Thank you, Libby. I really do appreciate you helping me with this.’ He smiles before getting into his car.



It was Saturday afternoon and I rushing around getting everything ready for the study date for Christopher and Max. Christopher wanted to spend time with Max in a more relaxed setting without any pressure. I just hope this doesn’t completely backfire where Max doesn’t talk to either of us anymore. Christopher arrived a full twenty minutes before Max was supposed to come over.

‘Hey, how’s it going?’ I wonder pulling the door open wide so he can slip inside. ‘Are you ready for this?’

‘I just feel a bit nervous, actually. I hope this goes well.’

‘Just tell him the things you told me and you should be okay. Don’t worry about it too much – he’ll be less attracted to you if you’re dripping sweat every where.’

Max shows up right on time and follows me into the theater room where Christopher waited. Christopher stands to his feet running his palms against the fabric of his jeans. Max sighs immediately turning on the heel of his boots to stare at me.

‘What is this?’ Max folds his thin arms across his chest with furrowed brows. ‘I thought you and I were studying.’

‘We are- Christopher happens to be in the class as well, so the more the merrier right?’

‘I know what you’re doing.’ Max says as he drops his bag in one of the theater chairs.

‘Alright boys, let’s study.’ I exhale with relief once I knew Max wasn’t storming out of the house anytime soon.

We managed to study for about forty-five minutes before I grab a bottle of wine and the freshly popped popcorn. I noticed the more time Christopher and Max spent together, the closer they seemed. They seemed more relaxed with a little help from the wine. They laugh and joke, turning into one of those disgustingly cute couples that throw food at each other.

‘Baby!’ Harry’s voice calls out, catching me off guard completely, ‘The only thing I want right now is to get you upstairs and make up for lost time.’ Max and Christopher tipsily burst out into a fit of giggles.

‘Harry!’ I hurry into the other room to cut off his raspy, racy words. I leap into his arms throwing my legs around his waist and my arms around his neck.

‘I have missed you so damn much. You have no idea. What do you say that you and I run a nice, hot bath and just relax?’

‘That is so tempting but we have company.’ I twirl his long, almond colored hair with my fingers as his eyes scan the room for said company.

‘Who’s here, Lib?’ he carefully places me down wrapping his arms around my waist following me into the theater.

‘Max and Christopher.’ I answer gesturing to the two boys who shamelessly eyed Harry from across the room. Max coyly waves at Harry while Christopher directs his attention to his wine glass. ‘We were having a bit of a study session.’

‘Studying, you say?’ Harry teases pointing a finger over at the bowls of popcorn and nearly empty wine glasses. ‘I don’t think traditional study sessions involve shirtless Ryan Gosling.’

‘Is there a better way to study?’ Max chimes with an intrigued grin.

‘Whatever helps you,’ Harry laughs as he removes his jacket and tosses it over his shoulder, ‘Excuse me, I think I should wash this flight off of me.’

‘Be right back.’ I follow Harry up the spiral staircase and into our bedroom.

Once I make it to the room, Harry has already thrown his shirt in the hamper and shaking off his jeans, only leaving him in his black Calvin Klein boxers. You could Harry’s muscles easily as he raised his arms to put his long hair into his signature bun.

‘I’m sorry, I should’ve asked about having company over. I just wasn’t expecting you until tomorrow.’ I speak wrapping my arms around his bare torso.

‘Don’t apologize. It’s not my house – it’s our house. You can have people when ever you want. I don’t mind at all. I just hope they leave fairly soon so I can have you all to myself because I really, really want you.’

‘Stop.’ I swat his hands as they slowly drag across my body, ‘there are people downstairs.’

‘We could be really quiet. I mean we’ve done it before.’ Harry urges pulling the collar of my sweater down to place soft kisses on the space between my neck and shoulder blade.

‘What is with you today?’ I pull away to stare up at him.

‘I have been away from you for a week. I have needs Lib.’

‘I am going back down stairs to entertain the guests, I would love for you to come down and join me once you’re finished with your shower. As for your needs, we can discuss those once they’re gone.’

‘Your loss.’ He calls as he goes into the other room to take a shower.

As I was walking back down the stairs I could hear Max and Christopher laughing loudly in unison. I didn’t know if it was the wine or they were just getting along. I hope that it wasn’t just all the wine.