Still the One

XCII.

‘Hey, Lib – I’m back.’ Harry calls, closing the front door.

By the time I make it around the corner, he’s already ditching his classic brown boots and shaking out of his coat. He runs his large hand through his long, almond-colored hair as he always did.

‘How was the studio?’ I wonder, wrapping my arms around his torso, ‘did you write some good stuff today?’

‘I feel like I did.’ He answers leaving a small kiss on my forehead, ‘Are we still having dinner at your parents’ place tonight?’ Harry questions, I couldn’t tell if he was trying to get out of going or not. I know I wasn’t exactly thrilled about it myself.

‘Do you still want to go?’

‘I want to do what you want to do,’ he answers nicely, ‘But, it has been awhile since we sat down with them. I mean it wouldn’t hurt and didn’t you say that your mom’s been on her best behavior lately?’

‘That’s true. I just still feel like I’m walking on eggshells around her. You never know what’s going to set her off. I just really don’t want to backpedal.’

‘Give her the benefit of the doubt, alright?’ Harry gives me a tight squeeze before leaving my arms, ‘I’m going to shower. I think you should join me up there.’

Silently, I follow Harry up the stairs and into our shared room. Before I could actually turn on the water for the shower, Harry was already in nothing more than his black Calvin Klein briefs. He pulls his long hair from his face with the use of a hair tie on the counter.

‘You have too many clothes on.’ He smirks grabbing a hold of my shirt and pulling it over my head. ‘That’s a start.’ Harry leaves gentle kisses on my shoulder while I kick out of my jeans. ‘Much better.’



‘I do not know how I’m supposed to sit across from your dad after the hour I just spent with his not-so-innocent daughter.’ Harry barks out a laugh, pulling into my parents’ driveway.

‘Shut up.’ I swat his arm as he comes to a stop, right behind their car. ‘you’re awful.’

He rushes around the car to open my door for me as he always did before guiding me to the front door. He runs his hand up and down my back comfortingly while casually humming.

‘It’s going to be just fine.’ He soothes as the door is pulled open.

‘Sweetheart,’ my mom cheers throwing her arms around me while simultaneously pulling me inside. ‘How are you? You look so gorgeous and mature.’

‘Hi, mom.’ I smile glancing over at Harry for comfort.

‘Harry, it’s been too long.’ She pats his back while he shuts the door.

‘It definitely has, how are you ma’am?’

‘Please, enough with this ma’am business.’ She laughs will strolling back towards the kitchen, ‘you two make yourselves at home. I’m just finishing up dinner now.’

‘Thank you.’ Harry calls sitting down on the sofa only to stand right back up to shake my dad’s hand, ‘hello sir.’

‘Hello, Harry? How have you been?’

‘Good and you?’ He wonders genuinely.

‘Good as well. Hello Darling.’

‘Hi, dad.’

Harry and I sit down with my dad while my mom finishes up with dinner in the kitchen. My little brother, Tanner decides to bring the girl he’s been seeing for a while now, Johanna. Harry places a hand on my thigh under the table drawing small circles on my skin.

‘So harry, now that you have so much time off – what are you going to do?’ My dad wonders from across the table, striking up conversation.

‘I’ve been in the studio here and there,’ Harry answers with a polite shrug, ‘I have nothing planned or set honestly. I just wake up and see what I feel like doing that day. I’ve actually started dabbling around with paint. I’m terrible at it right now but I’m practicing.’

‘Painting? That’s interesting.’ My mom chimes into the conversation with an amused smile.

‘are you putting out any music soon?’ Tanner inquires, taking his eyes from Johanna.

‘I don’t know. I think I’m just writing for other people right now. I do have some personal songs that I wouldn’t feel right giving away or selling, I’m just going to test the waters for awhile before doing anything.’

‘So, Tanner,’ I cut in, giving Harry a break from all of the questions, ‘how are you liking your classes at uni?’

‘They’re good, I guess. I’m thinking about trying out for the team.’ He replies after chewing his food. ‘I got to get that pesky math grad up.’

‘I could help you with your math if you want,’ Harry offers.

‘Really?’ Tanner speaks, shocked, ‘That’d be ace man.’

‘Of course man, I’ve already helped one of the white siblings, so why not the other?’ Harry smirks looking over at me. ‘Right, Lib?’

‘Harry please don’t be so modest,’ I taunt, ‘Tanner, he’s a really good math teacher.’

‘I’ll definitely take you up on that offer, thanks.’

‘Johanna, other than math, how’s our boy doing in his classes?’ Dad inquires, including Johanna into our conversation. For a minute, I actually forgot she was there since she was so quiet. Tanner offers her a supportive smile as she nervously looks up from her plate.

‘He’s doing quite well actually. He even managed to help me with my English paper.’ She boasts in favor of her boyfriend.

‘He always have been the little writer, him and his sister both really.’ Mom gushes, in that way that all mothers do about their children. I smile to myself, internally laughing at how worked up I was about coming.

After dinner, Harry and I say our goodnights before we finally make it to the car. I settle in my seat as he begins backing out onto the road.

‘I forgot that I have classes tomorrow morning.’ I groan resting my head on Harry’s arm, ‘I wish that I could stay home with you all day and just watch you write.’

‘You and I both know how bored you would get off that and be begging to go back to classes. Enjoy it, you only have these last few classes and once you’re finished, you’re going to miss it.’

‘True.’ I mutter under my breath, knowing that Harry was right. As much as I didn’t want to sit in the hour long lectures I knew that it was going to be bittersweet when I get my degree.

In the morning, I slip into my turtle neck, long sleeve navy blue dress then push my feet into my white adidas. After packing my bag and refilling Bandit’s dish I rush back over to the bed to give Harry a goodbye kiss as I did every morning.

‘I love you.’ I whisper into his ear, leaving another kiss on his cheek.

‘I love you.’ He calls back as I head down the stairs and out the door.

I eagerly walked into my English literature lecture, I was anxiously to see how Mr. Jacobs liked my latest assignment. Mr. Jacobs, or Will as he prefers, strolls in dropping his briefcase on the desk and pulling off his leather jacket.

‘Good morning, class.’ He grins from the front of the room as he leans against his podium. ‘I just want to start off by saying how pleased I was with everyone’s assignments. You, as an entire class, blew me away completely.’ Will praises, ‘I’ll give everyone their papers back at the end of class. Alright, now who’s ready to begin?’

After class, I stuff my things back into my bag ready to head to communications. A handful of my classmates glance around after Will passes out the papers to other students.

‘I seem to have forgotten a few of your assignments in my office, I do apologize. I’ll be in my office for the rest of the day so if you didn’t get yours back please feel free to stop by at your leisure.’

‘Is mine in there?’ I wonder as I finally squeeze between the girls gazing at Will.

‘I’m afraid not, I’m sorry. I’ll have it in my office if you want to pick it up.’

‘Alright, I’ll get it after my next lecture.’

I rush to communications to avoid being late as well as Dr. Caldicott’s wrath. After slipping into my seat, I turn to face Christopher, tiffany’s brother-in-law.

‘how was your date?’ I lean against his desk, ready to hear all of the latest news. ‘And how are things going with max?’

‘Max is good, the date was good.’ He shrugs with knitted eyebrows.

‘Then what’s the problem?’

‘I haven’t came out to my brother or Tiff yet and definitely not my parents. Max keeps asking to formally meet everyone and he’s upset that he feels like some sort of secret.’ Christopher runs a hand through his thick, dark hair, ‘I don’t know. I want to tell them, it just never seems like the right time or place.’

‘Tiffany and Paul are the kindest people and they seem so supportive, what have you been waiting for?’

‘I don’t know. How would I even start: hey, guys I’m gay and this is my boyfriend?’

‘How about you just sit them down at a casual dinner and invite Max? It would be a good way for them to get to know him.’

‘What if you came too?’

‘Wait, what? You want me to come?’

‘Yeah,’ Christopher nods a couple of time just as Dr. Caldicott walks into the room with a thick stack of her usual papers. ‘You helped me with all of this and even got Max to give me a second chance. I think you should definitely come and Harry could join us.’

‘Alright, I’ll talk to Harry about later but I’m sure he’d be fine with it just name the time and place.’



Before I was set to head to Glamour, I stop by Will’s office and tap lightly on the door.

‘Come on in.’ He calls standing behind a cluttered desk, ‘excuse the mess.’ Mr. Jacobs stiffs out a laugh moving his lunch aside. ‘I have your paper right here. I thought it was quite brilliant, actually.’

‘Wow, thank you Mr. Jacobs.’

‘Please, it’s Will.’ He corrects with a swift wave of his hand. ‘Did you give any thought to joining the writing group?’ Will wonders walking around his table to hand me my paper. ‘We could really, really use a person like you. Your writing just brings so much depth and excitement to the pages.’ He places a hand on my shoulder, sending an uncomfortable feeling down my spine. ‘I think you should consider it, like I said you have plenty to offer.’

If I didn’t know any better I could swear that my English literature professor was hitting on me.