Still the One

XCIII.

Silently, I drop my bag at the main entrance while kicking the large door closed. Harry strolls from the theater room with his large hand stuffed down into a bowl of popcorn. His “Kiss the chef” apron was wrapped around his waist, along with the bright smile on his face.

‘Hey, baby – I just started the Revenant and dinner’s almost finished. Do you want to join me?’ He leaves a soft kiss on my forehead while wrapping a free arm around my waist.

My skin felt hot where Mr. Jacob’s hand lingered for far too long. I look Harry briefly in his eyes, before plastering a smile on my face. I knew that he would go down to his office first thing in the morning, sleep deprived and throw Mr. Jacob’s against the nearest wall. If I wanted to confront an actual professor with such a serious accusation, I needed to be completely sure.

‘I think that I’m going to take a bath, I’m really tired.’ I speak, feeling somewhat guilty. It wasn’t a complete lie I was exhausted after a long day at class and then at Glamour. ‘I think I’m going to call it an early night.’

‘Are you sure?’ Harry furrows his dark eyebrows together, carefully setting down the bowl on the coffee table. ‘Is everything okay?’

‘Yeah, yeah. I’m just tired like I said. Thank you though.’ I rush up the stairs before Harry could examine me any longer. He knew me well, almost too well.

‘Lib.’ He calls as I make it up the stairs and to our room.

I swallow turning on my heel to walk to the staircase, where he stood at the base still concerned.

‘Yes?’

‘I love you.’

‘I love you.’ I repeat, heading into the other room and turning on the water to fill the tub.

I drop one of my bath bombs into the water before slowly dropping every piece of clothing on my skin. The hot water caused me to shriek as I slide down into the tub. The wash cloth cleanses away the long hours from today. Harry stands in the door as I rest my head on the back of the tub.

‘Hey, do you want me to bring you something up to eat?’

‘I’ll be down.’ I smile, not wanting to push him away.

‘alright.’ He smiles, relieved.

Harry takes two long strides, where he hovers over the tub before kneeling down to leave a kiss on my lips.

‘I’ll get it ready.’

Downstairs, Harry and I make two plates before heading to the theater room to finish the Revenant. Bandit silently strolls around the house as if he owned it, his long tail swings with each graceful step. My phone goes off signaling a new text, Christopher.

I’ve invited Max over tomorrow night – do you still think you and Harry could swing by?

‘Harry,’ I speak looking up from my phone, ‘Do you have any plans tomorrow night?’

‘Something tells me that I’m about to.’ Harry grins from his seat, ‘what’s up?’

‘Well, Christopher’s hoping to introduce Max as his boyfriend tomorrow and he’s a bit nervous about it all so he was hoping that the two of us would come to dinner and ease things up a bit.’

‘Of course,’ he agrees instantly, ‘I’ll make sure that I’m back from the studio before six.’

‘Thank you.’ I beam, already stabbing away at my screen with my thumbs to let Christopher know we’d be there.

The next morning, I get dressed to go to Glamour, I was grateful that I didn’t have classes today so I wouldn’t have to face Mr. Jacobs. Harry sits up in bed, rubbing his eyes after turning off his alarm.

‘Where are you headed so early?’ I wonder fixing my blouse in the mirror.

‘I have a meeting with Jeff about his new label – before I make any decisions I think I should hear him out.’

‘About going solo?’

‘Maybe,’ he shrugs running a hand over his chin, ‘Just for the time being while everyone’s off doing their own thing.’

‘Okay.’ I nod walking over to the bed to wrap my arms around his tone body. ‘I will see you later, alright?’

‘Alright – I love you baby.’

‘I love you.’ I reply, walking down the long staircase leaving Harry to get ready.



‘Good morning, Libby. Jackie is holding a meeting this morning and she asked that everyone meet in the conference room once they got here.’ Charlie smiles from her receptionist’s desk.

‘Good morning, Charlie. I’ll head over there as soon as I set this stuff down in my office.’

Charlie was nice and so sweet but I missed the daily gossip in my office with Tiffany. I was practically counting down the days until she comes back from maternity leave. I join the other staff members in the conference room at the table while we all wait for Jackie. Jackie strolls in casually late and stands at the front of the table. ‘Morning, all. I just wanted to sit everyone down to talk about the falling numbers. We need to strategize in order to get back on top. We’re being Cosmopolitan and that hasn’t happened in ages.’

‘Maybe we could do a complete renovation of the magazine.’ Some woman from across the table chimes nervously. Jackie did have a tendency to harshly shoot down ideas that she didn’t like.

‘I’m listening.’ Jackie speaks taking her eyes from her tablet, ‘go on.’

‘We’ve had the same look in the magazine and online for years – let’s change it up.’ Someone adds on and everyone nods their heads in agreement.

‘Okay with the new renovations we could host an event to celebrate it,’ I peep, ‘Maybe invite some of our favorite celebrities, it’d bring a lot of publicity to it.’

‘I like it; I like it a lot. Alright, let’s make it happen everyone.’ Jackie exclaims, ‘I want this to be big.’

The day drags on at Glamour before I was finally walking across the parking garage to my car. When I make it home, Harry is just stepping out the shower with a towel wrapped around his lower half.

‘I have been waiting for you!’ He exclaims happily, ‘You are never going to guess the phone call that I got today.’

‘Oh yeah? What is it?’

‘Well, I may have received an interesting call from my agent who may have said that a certain famous director named Christopher Nolan may have wanted to sit down with me for a role that he may have said that I would be pretty good in.’

‘What?’ I squeal rushing over to wrap arms around him, embracing his wet skin, ‘That is absolutely incredible! My talented boyfriend may be in a Christopher Nolan movie?! I am so happy for you. I’m so proud of you Harry.’

‘Thank you, thank you.’ He beams running a hand through his wet hair, ‘Now enough about me, how was my beautiful girlfriend’s day?’

‘It was definitely boring in comparison to yours. We’ll be revamping the magazine and holding a big event for it and everything.’

‘That’s exciting.’ Harry smiles intently, I loved how interested he was in my boring day and daily activities, ‘Now, time for me to get ready for that dinner.’

I rush through a shower and straighten my hair then apply my makeup emerging from the bathroom. Harry sits on the bed, pulling his brown Saint Laurent boots on his feet before buttoning his white and blue patterned shirt.

‘You look really good.’ I compliment while walking towards the closet.

‘I see something that looks really good.’ Harry speaks snaking up behind me as I’m bending over in the closet. His large hands carefully tracing my frame while he slightly hums to himself.

‘Stop it!’ I laugh swatting him away, ‘We’re running late as it is, let me get dressed.’

‘Fine.’ He grumbles stomping out the room and down the stairs with a smile on his face.

I slip into a simple pair of black jeans with my new black pumps, a “just because” gift from Harry and a black and white plunging top. After grabbing my purse, I trot down the stairs to see Harry hunched over petting Bandit.

‘Holy.’ He coughs from across the room, standing to his feet, ‘I am so damn lucky.’

I smile as Harry leaves a soft kiss on my forehead, taking my hand in his. He grabs the keys to his Range Rover and leads me to the door. Like the perfect gentleman, he walks around and holds the door open for me then is sure to close it once I’m in.

‘You know, you never did do that dance for me in those shoes.’ Harry smirks not taking his eyes from the road.

‘You’re horrible.’ I shake my head looking out the window before leaning towards the middle console, ‘Maybe when we go home to celebrate your news.’ I whisper before sitting down in my seat, keeping a straight face.

We arrive at Paul and Tiffany’s house where Harry again opens the door for me. He places a large hand on my back guiding me to their front door. With a quick press of the doorbell we wait until Paul opens the front door with a beer in his hand.

‘Here goes nothing.’ Harry whispers barely audible as he reaches out to shake Paul’s hand.
♠ ♠ ♠
it's been three years since the first chapter of still the one and i just want to thank everyone for continuing to read and follow this story and let you know how much i appreciate it. here's to another three years of writing