Still the One

XCVII.

While at Glamour, Mr. Jacobs’ words swirl around in my head. He basically trashed my “What is Love” paper, that I was writing about Harry. He claimed that it was predictable and safe, before insisting that I needed to step outside of the box. I wanted to think that he was simply talking about the assignment but there was something behind his eyes that I didn’t like. Part of me wanted to email him and demand to know what his problem was. On the other hand, I missed the deadline to drop classes so I wanted to avoid getting on his bad side this late into the term.

‘Hey, Libby – is everything okay?’ Jackie, my boss, wonders while coming to a stop in the doorway. ‘You’ve been tucked away in your office all day.’

‘Yes, everything’s great. I’m just feeling a little tired, that’s all.’ I shrug, once she cuts into my thoughts. ‘I’m going to get things done early so I can try to get home while the sun’s still out.’

‘All right, just find me if you need me. I think I might just leave early myself.’

After finishing my usual tasks, I pull out the list of names that Jackie wants at Glamour’s revamping party. I call and haggle with a few agents, trying to get their clients at the party.

‘Goodnight, Charlie.’ I say glancing at my phone to check for messages.

‘Goodnight, Libby – see you in the morning.’ Although, Charlie was just temporary for Tiffany, I was going to miss her bubbly presence around the office. She was always so cheerful and inviting.

Hey, baby. I’m running a little late at the studio so I’ll just bring some takeout home. Sound good? – Harry.

Sounds great! Leaving Glamour now on my way home see you later – Libby.

On the way home, I decide to stop to get Bandit some cat food seeing that he was running low this morning. When I finally make it past all of the London afternoon traffic, I practically fall through the front door.

‘I’m back Bandit, I have a surprise for you.’ I call aloud, dropping my purse and backpack on the sofa.

Bandit lazily strolls from the theater room, his favorite hiding space to brush against my legs. I dig through the bag and pull out a new play toy. At first, he stares blankly at the toy and back at me.

‘You play with it, of course.’

While waiting for Harry and dinner, I get started on the next portion of my writing assignment. I decided that I wasn’t going to follow Mr. Jacobs suggestion, Harry was the perfect person to write this paper about. I polish the second draft before printing it off and clipping it into my binder for class.

‘Lib.’ Harry’s voice calls as the security system reads “front door”.

‘In here!’

‘Hey, I got your favorite. How was your day?’ He wonders already sitting beside me to pull the food out the bag.

‘It was okay.’ I shrug moving my things aside to make room for him.

‘Uh oh, just okay? Whose ass do I need to kick?’ He stiffs out a laugh, but he was completely serious. ‘Someone at uni? Someone at Glamour?’

‘That won’t be necessary.’ I say through a laugh while moving closer to him on the sofa, ‘I just missed you today.’

‘I missed you too.’ Harry wraps an arm around me while stabbing his orange chicken with the fork. ‘So, I talked to casting and I’m going to have to cut my hair for Dunkirk.’ He eyes me waiting for a reaction. As much as I loved Harry’s short hair, I’ve grown to love the long just as much. He’s grown it out for over a year actually, it’ll definitely be different. ‘Are you disappointed?’ He wonders after my moment of silence.

‘Definitely, not! I mean, it’s hair – it’ll grow back. It’s so huge that you’re going to be in this movie. I can’t wait to see my boyfriend on the big screen. I’m going to see it a dozen times when it comes out.’

‘Just a dozen?’ He teases, taking his eyes off of his Styrofoam container.

‘A hundred.’

‘A hundred, that’s more practical.’

We spend our night, in bed watching movies on TV until I decide to go to bed to prepare for an early morning at Glamour. When the morning came, the last thing I wanted to do was get up. It felt so warm under the sheets pressed against Harry’s bare chest. He groans when I go to get out of bed, pulling me with a free arm.

‘Stay.’ Harry mutters, with his head under the thin sheets.

‘You know I can’t,’ I sigh falling back into his grip, ‘we’re planning for the upcoming event constantly. I’ll try to get things done early so I can come back sooner. I love you.’

‘I love you.’ Harry repeats releasing me.

I make sure to leave a kiss on Harry’s cheek before rushing out the house to beat the traffic. I make it to Glamour with time to spare, immediately heading to my office. Jackie left a stack of papers that needed to be filed and a meeting that needed to be transcribed. Once all of that was finished, I called about a dozen more agents trying to get their clients at the event.

‘Hey, Jackie, I’ve finished everything. Is there anything else before I leave?’

‘No, no – you were great today. Have a good afternoon Libby.’

‘Thank you, you too.’

‘See you tomorrow Charlie.’ I say throwing my purse over my shoulder to grab my box of things I was taking home.

‘See you then.’ She calls back as I step onto the lift.

I drop everything into the back of the car and call Harry.

‘Hey Lib.’ He answers just as it was about to ring for the third time.

‘Hey, I was just calling to let you know that I got out about early. What do you want for dinner?’

‘Maybe some takeout or something again? I promised your brother that I would help with his math this afternoon, he’s on his way over now.’

‘If Tanner’s coming over we could order a pizza, that’s easy.’

‘Alright sounds good to me.’

‘We are definitely cooking something tomorrow I am starting to get tired of this takeout.’

‘Deal. Sounds like he’s here – I’ll see you in a bit. Bye bye.’

‘Alright bye bye.’ I smile while pressing the button on my steering wheel to hang up.

On the way home, I order two pizzas knowing that with Harry and Tanner around one just wouldn’t be enough. I step through the door to find Harry and Tanner sitting at the dining room table with a math book in between the two of them. Harry shoots a warm smile from across the room briefly looking up from a piece of paper.

‘Hey, Lib.’ Tanner waves, looking for any distraction from his math.

‘Hey. The pizza should be here soon so I’ll just go upstairs and take a quick shower.’

I sit downstairs with Harry and Tanner eating while Harry attempts to explain the question to him. I tried to follow along, sidetracking myself from Mr. Jacobs class in the morning, but I was anxious to let him read my paper.

‘Hey, babe?’ Harry calls following me up the stairs after Tanner leaves for the night. ‘Is everything alright?’

‘Of course. Why do you ask?’ I turn on my heel to face him with an artificial smile.

‘Because, I couldn’t help but notice how distant you seemed tonight. It was like you went somewhere else or something.’

‘No, no, everything’s good. I’m just feeling exhausted in between classes and helping with this event at Glamour, I’m feeling a little spaced out I guess.’

‘Come here.’ He says sitting down on the edge of the bed, patting the empty space on his lap. I do as I’m told and fall into his arms, resting on his shoulder. ‘I’m so proud of my hardworking, beautiful girlfriend. If I’ve learned anything since all of this started, it’s okay to take a break. You don’t want to run yourself into ground, okay?’

‘Yes, sir.’

‘Sir? I could get used to that.’ He laughs giving my thigh a tight squeeze.

‘In your dreams, Styles.’

‘Believe me I know.’



The next morning, I nearly drag myself into Mr. Jacobs class. I didn’t know what to expect when I turned my second draft in, especially since I didn’t change the topic as he advised.

‘Morning all,’ Mr. Jacobs slides in casually, minutes before class starts. ‘We’re growing near the end of not only this particular assignment but the term as well. I can’t wait to read what you have so far and I hope that I can see why you love the people you love. Today, I’m going to meet with each of you one by one just so we’re all on the same page before the due date next week. As for over the weekend, I want you all to take your papers and polish them. They should be perfect next time we meet. So just talk amongst yourselves until I call your name.’

With our free time, I decide to finish up the communications assignment I had due next class. I impatiently tap my foot, running my clammy palms together. I just wanted to get it over with. I could swear that Mr. Jacobs was saving me for last just to see how long I would sweat.

‘Um, let’s see who’s next,’ He calls aloud causing a few heads to raise, ‘Libby.’

Here it goes.