Still the One

XCVIII.

‘Alright, Libby.’ Will glances up from my paper in front of him with a smile that suddenly didn’t seem so warm and inviting as I thought for the past few weeks. ‘I had the chance to look over your second draft in great detail because I noticed you were struggling initially.’ Struggling? ‘I thought that this was surprising and disappointing seeing how great of a writer you are. At first, I thought it could have been because you chose to write about Harry Styles. I understand that I wasn’t shy about it seeming a bit biased, predictable, and safe – I just want to apologize if it came off as harsh. As your professor, I don’t want to discourage my students but I want to make them better writers. With this second draft, I do notice that you clean it up a bit more which I do appreciate the effort.’ I purse my lips trying to soak in all of his criticism, wondering if this was strictly professional.

‘I am glad that I could change your mind.’ I reply as he hands me my paper back to look over his fresh corrections in bright red ink.

‘Hold on, I did not say that you changed my mind. I feel that it is less biased – I will give you that. For the final draft, just make sure you knock me off my feet when it comes to the incredible Mr. Styles. I’m still sensing some defensiveness in your writing. As your reader, I should not feel like I am being held at gunpoint, forced to love him just because you do. Instead, you should paint him in such an immaculate light that I do love him and by the end of your paper, I am rooting for that person just as much as you. Does that make sense, Miss. White?’ Mr. Jacobs wonders eyeing me curiously.

‘I believe you’ve made your expectations perfectly clear, thanks Professor Jacobs.’

‘I thought that I made it abundantly clear that you do not have to call me Mr. Jacobs.’

‘You did,’ I nod as I go to stand up, ‘but at the end of the day, you are still my professor and this is a professional setting so I figure Mr. Jacobs is for the best. See you next class.’ I try to subtlety drop hints that I definitely was not leading him on.

I don’t waste any time gathering my things to leave the room. As I turn around once last time, Mr. Jacobs offers me a wave of his hand with a grin. In Communications, Max and Christopher huddled together closely with Max’s phone.

‘Hey, do you want to be our third for the presentation?’ Max wonders as Christopher nods his head, ‘we can get together this weekend and brainstorm.’

‘That sounds great, I’ll make sure I’m free this weekend.’ I agree just as class starts.

Dr. Caldicott goes over the presentation guidelines, which weren’t too demanding. Max calls the power point editing, while Christopher singles out the research portion, leaving me with the actual presentation itself. I would be the speaker. ‘Just text me Friday and we can coordinate.’ I wave before heading towards my car to head to Glamour.

Today, I was actually thrilled to be going to work. We were in the closing stages of Glamour’s revamp party. It was two weeks away from this Friday and set in an empty field outside of London. For the last few days we had been calling guests, approving color coordination, and testing food. Jackie was going all out for Glamour’s unveiling. She would pop around the office several times a day reminding us that it had to be perfect. It had to be. I spend my day haggling with agents over the date and arrival times, trying to please everyone. As exciting as it all was, I was even more happy when my feet walk up the stairs to the house I shared with Harry. All I wanted to do now was lay in bed with him before he went off to film for Dunkirk. The moment my heels touch the entrance way I am immediately greeted by Harry.

‘There she is!’ He speaks excitedly colliding his large body against mine.

‘You’re wet.’ I laugh feeling my damp dress, pulling away to study him.

‘Sorry, I just got back from the studio and showered.’ He grins, quickly sneaking in a kiss. ‘I did it. I got my hair cut today, nearly all of it. I think you should sit down for this.’ Harry chuckles teasingly as he pulls me towards the couch, ‘are you ready for this?’

‘I am just dying with anticipation.’ I taunt folding my leg over one another after kicking out of my heels.

‘Alright, forget it. I am not showing you smartass.’ Harry scoffs with a dimple-filled smile, turning his toned back towards me.

‘I’m sorry, baby. I really want to see it.’ I plead grabbing a hold of his impressively soft, large hand.

Without another second of hesitation, Harry dramatically rips the fluffy white towel from his head revealing a much shorter look. His new short hair was damp and messy but it suited him. It made him look slightly older than he usually did. ‘So?’ He urges eyeing me carefully, ‘don’t leave me dying in suspense, Lib.’

‘I think you look very handsome, I love it.’ I assure him standing up to wrap my arms around his torso, ‘you look great.’

‘Thank you.’ He exhales with relief, ‘I’m not used to seeing myself like this honestly I was a bit worried. I’ve grown it for the last few years at this point.’

‘You have no reason to worry.’ I press my face against his chest, instantly feeling at peace and at home.

‘Do you want to go get dinner somewhere?’

‘I am starving.’ I confess with several nods, ‘Chinese please.’

‘Whatever you want.’ He agrees, ‘just let me get dressed.’

I take a moment to kick out of my dress to get changed into a long-sleeved gray sweater and black cropped jeans, pulling my hair out of the way into a bun. Harry comes back in a white tee shirt with a black beanie shielding his new hair.

‘You look pretty. I am not ready for the world to see it yet.’ He laughs grabbing his wallet and phone, ‘you should see my comments on the picture I posted.’

‘You are terrible!’ I gasp eyeing the comments of Harry’s fans demanding a picture of his new haircut after posting a picture of his chopped off ponytail in his hand.

Bandit sits in the corner of the theater room as we walk by going to the garage. Before we leave, I’m sure to refill his dish with fresh food and water. Harry helps me into his Range Rover as he always did before shutting the door. As we’re driving down the road, Harry pulls out his phone making sure its connected VIA Bluetooth.

‘I have a song I want you to listen to.’

‘From the album you’re working on?’

‘Uh huh.’ I could easily sense the excitement oozing off of Harry right now. ‘I’m thinking it’ll be the first single.’

Just stop your crying it’s the sign of times.
Welcome to the final show, I hope you’re wearing your best clothes.
You can’t bribe the door on your way to the sky.
You look pretty good down here, but you ain’t really good.
We never learn, we been here before.
Why are we always stuck and running from your bullet. A bullet

I listen silently as Harry’s voice slowly eases into the chorus. At red lights, Harry quietly nods his head along with his new song, waiting for me to say something. It was different from anything that One Direction had did as a group, in a good way. A really good way. It felt like Harry.

‘I am 99% sure that you will be getting a Grammy next year.’ I speak once as the song ends, ‘and I am not just saying that because I happen to be your girlfriend.’

‘Really?’ He looks genuinely surprised as he pulls into our favorite Chinese restaurant.

‘Really. I don’t know what has gotten into you today and why you’re doubting yourself but this is going to be huge, watch.’

‘I don’t know what I’d do without you.’ He pulls the door open walking towards the counter to get a table.

We get our usual area towards the back, avoiding the numerous stares and whispers. During dinner, Harry opens his mouth only to close it again. I nervously watch on as he purses his lips.

‘Now you’re leaving me in suspense. What’s the matter?’ I take a small sip from my drink, waiting for him to respond.

‘I was looking at the schedule today and I should be leaving a few days earlier, before the Glamour party.’

‘I thought you were going to be my date.’ I frown dropping my fork, ‘It’s been planned for weeks.’

‘I know, I know. I’m trying to move a few things around so I can make it but I just didn’t want to sidetrack you if I couldn’t make it work.’

‘Don’t.’ I interject, ‘You are going to film a movie with none other than Christopher Nolan and you’re working on your very own album, I get it. You’re super busy right now. Glamour’s renovation should be the last thing on your plate.’

‘If it’s important to you, it’s equally important to me. I really wanted to make it especially seeing how hard you’re working on this. You know that, right?’

‘I do.’

‘I promise that I will make it up to you.’

‘I am holding you to that.’ I knew that Harry was already carrying a lot as it is, I didn’t want him to feel guilty about not being there to see Glamour reintroduce itself to the UK. ‘I would happily just settle for dinner at home with you before you leave.’

‘I can make that happen.’

After dinner, we hurry back home before the paparazzi flood the restaurant for even just a glimpse of Harry. I take a shower and crawl into bed beside him as he’s watching one of Gordon Ramsay’s many cooking shows. I force myself under his arm peppering his bare chest with kisses.

‘You have my full and undivided attention.’ Harry smirks turning the TV off.

‘Good.’ I speak triumphantly, briefly stopping my assault with kisses. ‘That’s the only thing I want right now.’
♠ ♠ ♠
Hi everyone! I hope you enjoyed the super late update!
A/N: I know that the events are behind (I.E. Dunkirk + an album release) bear with me as I play catch up within the story!
Leave a comment, subscribe, or recommend the story if you want (: