Status: Finished

The Fortune of Being Royal

Life Before Us

The foyer was decorated in yellow and orange sunflowers while paintings of both our royal families lined the walls. Our flags both mounted on the wall side-by-side, and both our nations anxiously awaiting the next few minutes. I, however, could wait a whole lifetime before what was about to happen; before I was to be married to the future king of Germany. I didn't want to be this man's future wife or queen.

I wanted to be back home with my family, my people, my animals, and mostly, my friends, but instead, I was here in this foreign place. I was in an unfamiliar castle with unfamiliar snotty people. I was to act prim and proper, instead of being, the care-free spirit that I had grown up to be. I WAS NOT AT ALL interested in being here. I stood there running my fingers over my intricate french braid as I stared at my extravagant white wedding dress in the mirror before me. I sighed inwardly as I took in all the ugly lace and unbearable fringe. I couldn't get married in this dress; it wasn't me at all!

I pulled at the lace and fringe, trying to delicately rid myself of the obnoxious pieces of fabric. I thought I was making progress until I heard the shrill of a huge tear form. "Oi!! Well that's not a good sound!!" I shouted. I frantically tried to get to the ripped piece of my dress but it was at an odd angle. I tried to squat, bend, and stretch to it but it was of no use. I kept trying until I heard footsteps coming my way. I covered myself up as best as I could before the door was abruptly pulled open.

A man my age stood in front of me; his green orbs bore over my medium curvacious frame and down over my wedding dress.

"How in the world did this happen?" he asked as he closed in the space between us, trying to pull the fabric out of my hands.
"It was an accident!" I exclaimed as I pulled the dress away from his prying hands.
"My future queen, I was not born yesterday and can tell that this dress's stitching was tugged at in various of places. Now tell me the truth." he said.
"You're the man I'm betrothed to?" I questioned as the gown completely fell from my hands.
"That is an irrevelant question for right now my dear, but yes I am he." he stated, smiling smuggly at me.

My mouth opened wide, gaping from the shock of meeting this man before our arranged marriage. I looked over him for a minute, taking in his square, strong face and jaw. My eyes ran over his tall, muscular body and back up his green eyes. "Please close your mouth my future queen. Flies might try to claim it as their home." he stated, laughing at my obvious surprise. "Excuse me, but I wasn't expecting my future husband to come ogle his innocent, virgin, future wife as she dressed for their future wedding." I stated, letting my voice show my obvious disdan.

"Who said I was oggling my future wife?? Might it be that I am trying to assess the damage she has done to the extravagant wedding dress that I had created just for her?" he asked, looking deep into my blue eyes as he spoke. "Then I must apologize my future king. I didn't like my dress so I was trying to delicately rid myself of the excess fabric. Please forgive me." I begged before bowing my head in shame.

He pulled my chin back up and smiled sweetly at me.

"There must've been a reason for the alterations so tell me." he said firmly as he stroked my chin with his thumb. "I didn't like all the lace or fringe. I'm more of a simple girl.... I didn't think I could get married pretending I was something I'm not." I said, mesmerized by the closeness we were sharing. "Hmmm I see." he said.

He pulled away and walked to the closet, grabbing a simple, plain, white dress. "I must say that I like you so much already. I think that a woman who wouldn't pretend with a man and is honest with herself is a rare find. Please put this on and come downstairs. We have a wedding to attend." he said before turning on his heel and leaving the room.

I stood there dumbfounded for a few minutes before coming to a realization of what had just happened. I couldn't believe his direct, straight-forward compliment; no one, in all my life, had ever been that direct or sweet with me. He actually showed me a piece of his character in the few seconds he had given me. It was very refreshing to be around an easy-going type of man.

I couldn't help the smile form on my lips as I slid my white dress over my head and down over my body. I walked back to the mirror, content with my appearance that reflected back to my eyes. I twirled around in my gown, letting the soft material ruffle against my soft, pale white skin. I picked up my orange and white bouquet before walking down the long winding sets of stairs. I took each step at a time, taking deep breaths to help calm my butterflies.

I have been in reign since my eighth birthday, taken countries from other rulers, gone to war, been under constant scrutiny every single day of my life and I can't calm my nerves for my own wedding. I felt stupid and frustrated that I couldn't down my excitement.... Especially since I was excited about marrying a man that I had just met. Obviously, I had already formed a crush on him in the few minutes we shared.

I finally made my way down through the foryer, amazed by the decorating skills and the amount of effort his servants had dedicated to this event. I stood before two, huge, twin, oak doors, awaiting the right moment to walk in. I couldn't help but feel like I was on top of the world, until, I smelt a familiar unfriendly scent. "Hello Baby Sister. Ready to submit to a man?" he asked, smiling as I plumented back to earth.

"I'm ready for anything Big Brother. However, this man seems to accept a woman who speaks her mind, instead, of feeling inferior every time she opens her mouth." I challenged as I took his arm before the doors were opened, beckoning us to enter. "Ahhh I see, you have already met your betrothed?" he interrogated, looking straight-forward as we walked into the large ballroom.

The large ballroom looked heavenly. There were yellow and orange sunflowers strewn everywhere throughout the room; some were even hanging from the beautiful, clear, lighted chandeliers. White sunflower petals lined and created a small pathway to a small platform in the center of the room. There was a minister and my future king standing on the platform, waiting for my entrance. They were surrounded by richly dressed royal dignataries who were also waiting for me to walk down the aisle. My brother stepped out into the walkway, leading me out to meet my fate.

"I have met my future king and he is a better man than you ever could be." I quietly said, keeping a smile plastered on my face.
"So you went against our set protocol?" he questioned, leading us still down the pathway before us.
"I did not break your stupid protocol. He did though. Does it not bother you that your own blood relative thinks a man, who they never have met is a better man than you are?" I questioned.
"Why would it bother me if my silly baby sister thinks that?? I could care less what you think. I NEVER have cared about you or what you think and now, I never have to deal with you again." he sneered as he gave my hand over to my future king.

I stood in front of my handsome future king, but I couldn't help feeling sad from my brother's harsh words. Tears started to leak from the corner's of my eyes as the minister married us. I was about to start bawling when my king pulled my chin up and kissed me with such passion. I was completely dazed by the softness of his lips and the force of his tongue. He pulled away from me after a few seconds and led me down the platform to our reception feast.

We were now officially married.

We walked to our huge table, pulling out my chair and waited for me to be seated before he was seated. He took my hand in his, holding it with such a devotion, as if it was the most fragile piece of glass known to man. I never have had someone who would treat me with such love and adoration before.... It was extremely unnerving.

I lifted my gaze away from our hands, noticing a huge fatted calf simmering on a huge roasting pit before me. There were musicians playing their instruments expertly, dancers performing traditional dances, jesters shwoing off all of their professional tricks, and our many guests were already enjoying the sweet taste of a merry drink. The servants were all busy with tasts of fetching or making whatever our royal friends needed. Everything was lavish and beautiful; nothing could ruin this wonderful night.

"I think you look very beautiful tonight. I am glad you are my wife and new queen." my king whispered in my ear.
"Thank-you my king." I whispered back, fearing the thought this was all a dream.
♠ ♠ ♠
Please let me know if you like this. It's actually a larger part of a story.