Status: Hiatus

Things Done

Prologue

The high school Government class was supposed to file in quietly, but several students couldn’t help but murmur excitedly. This was a timely event, and they were well aware that court cases such as this one did not occur on a daily—even yearly—basis. This was the sort of thing that only came around once in a lifetime, and they were pleased that they had convinced their teacher of that. The ecstatic whispers and giggles were forced into an abrupt silence at a menacing glare from the judge.

“Call the case,” she ordered, and the hearing began. The prosecution rose to present his evidence.
Certain members of the class soon found that judicial hearings weren’t as exciting as they had hoped. Things were bland and monotonous, not quite the attack on the senses they had expected from the defendant. The judge was relatively young, perhaps in her late thirties’, and relentlessly formal and superior. The prosecutor—no, both he and the defendant’s lawyer were calm and collected as they took turns announcing their stories. The jury was a random jumble of “peers,” most of whom seemed as bored as the teenagers in the back rows of the courthouse, save the foreman who looked on intently because that was her job.

The students were not the only people in the room. The city courthouse had three different rooms of various sizes, and the largest was selected for the predicted turnout. Everyone in town had heard of the case and no one wanted to miss it. The defendant had everyone in his thrall from the very beginning. He had managed to drag the case on to a month-long hearing though everyone who knew the particulars of his crime had been certain that a few days would suffice. He had twice caused a change in the judge, jury, and prosecution. This judge was too inexperienced in his case. That prosecutor was untrustworthy. How could he be expected to be fairly judged by a juror who was his mother’s third cousin twice removed? This time, however, the state was determined to get him. Part of the problem—apart from his wily way—was his sneaky good looks. Yes, Edgar Edgarton was handsome, attracting to the eyes of both males and females. His comely countenance showed no sign of anxiety. He was hardly in his twenties but seemed to have no qualms about a future behind bars.

There was one person in the audience, however, who paid no attention to the proceedings. She was a member of the high school class and one of the few students who weren’t chattering away to a neighbor. There was nothing special about this girl, so please do not make any assumptions. She is merely the focal point of the story, imbued with certain powers uncommon to most. Nothing special. Meet your narrator.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thank you for reading.