Status: Still writing this book.

Teenage Wasteland

Chapter Nine

Chapter 9

Will got up at 5:00 AM the next morning. The other two were up by 6:30. There was a light drizzle of rain on the hangar roof. Will guessed it was probably late April or early May.
“Hey Tyler, you know that you’re probably 16?” Will said as they exited the hangar.
“Yeah you’re probably right! I feel way older though, it seems like ages since this whole thing started.”
“I know how you feel! If you’re 16 though, that means in two or so weeks I’ll be 17!” Jason added excitingly.
“You can finally join the club.” Will said jokingly. They walked the rest of the way in silence.
A small group of men was gathered outside of the armory, 20 at least. One man stood by the entrance.
“Oh look the delinquents have arrived!” The man said. “I’m Captain Lamstead, and we’ll call this detention.” He said with a grim smile as he addressed the three boys. Then he turned back to everyone else. “Most of you know why you’re here. I’ve selected a few of you to help on this special task force. You see summer is coming and as most of you know, Mr. Miller has initiated a search group that will start looking for survivors. Now the hangars are already lacking the proper space for the amount of people we have. Our job is to take over the actual airport.” Some of the men sighed like they had just gotten a surprise quiz. “Hey, if you don’t like it than I can suggest you to the other team, the team that is building the fence?” They all cut off their groaning. “That’s what I thought.” Lamstead smiled. “Load up!”
Two from the group rushed inside and started handing weapons out. Once all the soldiers were armed Lamstead called in Will, Tyler, and Jason.
“Your father, Jason, had us put all your weapons in this locker. I believe you guys at least understand gun safety, seeming how none of you are dead yet.” Lamstead unlocked it and opened the door. “Take what you need and hurry up. Realize this though, you will only fire your weapons if A; you are trapped, and B; everyone else is dead.”
Will was the first to grab his gun, his holstered .44 felt like a long lost friend. He strapped on the belt and let the gun hang at his side. Will drew it quickly and looked down the sights, when he was satisfied and it was loaded he holstered it once more. Next he picked up his bow, making sure the string was in good condition and all his arrow tips were secured tightly to each shaft. Will drew it back testing the weight. It had been weeks since he had last fired it, his forearms were not up to par.
Tyler grabbed the crossbow and slung it over his back. He grabbed one of the many pistol and slid it into his waistband. Jason took his last, a pistol and his bat.
They joined the rest of the group outside the armory. Most of the men were checking their guns.
“Once we get outside the wall it is a short walk to the building. Scouts say the hardest part will be building the fence and clearing out the inside. I existing perimeter fences have done a good job at keeping things out.” Lamstead led the task force to the back gates that faced the airport.
The men standing watch quickly moved to open the gate. “Clear.” One of the men standing on the wall yelled. The gates swung open and the group rushed out as the gates slammed close behind them.
As Will walked out in the middle of the men he was pulled aside by the captain. “Will, you and your friends will take the rear. No don’t take it as an insult; I’m counting on you guys to watch our rear. Understand?” Will nodded.
Will guided his friends to the back and told them their orders. Jason seemed okay, but Tyler grunted taking offense to it. “I’m point material; I don’t know what he is thing.” Tyler said sarcastically.
“Good one.” Jason laughed at Tyler.
Will rolled his eyes and began slowly walk towards their destination. He unclipped his knife from its holster and slid it in and out, making sure it wouldn’t stick when he needed it.
From what Will could see, only a few zombies were roaming around the large airstrip. The bulk of the undead, if there was any, must be inside the building. Though, Will assumed that it would not be too infested. The Bellingham airport was a very small airport. It really depended on how many people rushed to the airport when the apocalypse started. Will was fairly sure it was almost empty.
On the other hand he could be completely wrong. For all he knew the place could be packed to the rafters with zombies. That would suck, he thought. He missed the action, but he wasn’t suicidal.
They jogged the distance quickly. Jason was the only one of the group that got any action. A zombie got to close so Jason broke off and put it down with a swift swing of his spiked bat.
The group gathered at the closest door. “Okay,” Lamstead started. “Jackson you lead your team around to the front and see if you can get in quietly. The troublemakers will stay with me.”
Will recognized Jackson from the night the large amount of undead gathered at the front gate. Jackson nodded and took his team around the corner out of sight.
Jason looked over at Will and mouthed the words “troublemakers”, the sarcasm showing on his face.
The captain moved to the door and turned the knob. “Locked.” He sighed. “so much for entering silently.”
Lamstead backed up and brought his leg up to kick down the door. A shock was sent through his body as the bottom of his feet made contact with the bolted door metal. The captain shook himself and kicked again, and again, and again. He let out a frustrated grunt.
“Captain?” A soldier stepped forward. “Can I try?”
“No!” Lamstead snapped.
The captain pulled out his pistol and sent five bullets flying towards the door, all of them striking the knob or the lock. Lamstead holstered his pistol.
“See, that easy.” Lamstead said wiping the sweat from his brow.
Some of the men were smiling at their captain as he adjusted his uniform. Lamstead looked into the doorway. A dark hallway stretched straight down to another door with a small window.
Everyone cautiously walked inside. The hall only allowed two people to walk together, yet somehow Tyler, Jason, and Will managed to fit three. Huddled together, they watched the door they came through, hoping not to get trapped in.
A little light was shining through the small window in the door. On the other side the room was large, the main part of the building. Lamstead looked through the window and recoiled. The man next to him ventured a look and swore on under his breath.
“There has to be at least fifty.” The captain said after another look.
There was a moment of silence as the group of men waited for their next orders. Most of them began to fidget with their safety switches.
“Have we ever tried flash-bangs on them?” Lamstead said breaking the silence.
“No we haven’t, sir.” Someone said.
“Well let’s see what happens.”
Lamstead opened the door slowly. He pulled the pun to the small canister and threw it into the room.
Will looked away from the door as a bright flash and ear splitting noise exploded. A few seconds later the growls and roars of fifty zombies were all that could be heard. Most of them ran into walls or tripped over others, the others became enraged and begin racing around.
“Headshots only and conserve your ammo. Four of you with me, the rest of you back up the hallway so that we can get out fast. Go!” Lamstead let out a war cry and opened the door. Burst of shots rang out. The five men formed a semicircle around the door.
Will wanted to watch what was going on, but he kept his eyes trained on their only escape route. He could see a few zombies in the distance, nothing immediately dangerous.
The effects of the flash-bang were wearing off the zombies inside, Lamstead and the other four were starting to be overwhelmed.
“Pull back into the hallway!” The captain shouted over the gun fire. Lamstead was the last to enter the hallway, and then the door was closed behind him. Undead pressed up against the door. “Okay, Granger stay with me and hold this door. The rest of you outside, we’ll take them out as they show themselves.”
They did as they were ordered, except Will stood in the doorway watching the captain and granger.
“3… 2… 1!” Lamstead let go of the door and it swung towards him. Granger wasn’t quite quick enough and the swinging door slammed his leg against the wall, sending him sprawling on the floor.
The captain acted quickly, dropping three zombies in the doorway. That bought him some time to hoist up Granger. Not enough time though. A zombie reached out and wrapped its arm around Granger’s leg, tripping both him and Lamstead.
Will hesitated for a second and then ran down the hall. He pulled out his .44 and sent 2 shots at the closest undead. He reached the two men as Granger let out a cry. The zombie had pulled itself closer and wrapped its decaying jaws around the man’s leg. Blood streamed onto the floor as a chunk of flesh and muscle was torn away. The zombie brought its head up which was the opening Will needed. He sent a bullet though its brains and then took out two more in the doorway; the third missed its mark.
Out of ammo, Will helped Lamstead quickly carry Granger out into the light. They hurried to set him down behind the line of soldiers. Only seconds later did the first zombie emerge, followed by many more. All ten soldiers, plus Jason and Tyler, opened fire on the hall. Within minutes there was a pile of undead and no more seemed to be coming.
All of Will’s adrenaline had gone, now he was doing all he could to help Lamstead stop Granger from bleeding out. Maybe he wouldn’t turn? That was a dumb thought, Will hit himself mentally.
“Calder, Ericson, help me take Granger to the medical hangar.” Lamstead barked.
The two men rushed forward and lifted Granger up. Lamstead ran alongside them as they hurried towards the gate.
“Finish the sweep of the building. Rucker you take lead.” The captain called back to them.
“Yes sir!” The man called Rucker yelled. “You heard the man, back inside.”
Rucker led the way down the hall. Everyone watched their ankles as the passed the zombies lying on the ground. Will reloaded his revolver as they stepped into the larger room.
“Looks empty.” Someone whispered.
“Yeah but keep your eyes peeled. Who knows what’s around the next corner.” Rucker answered.
Will, Jason, and Tyler made their way towards the counters where they flight attendants check everyone’s tickets. Everyone was spread out checking remains and other doors.
Jason leaned back against one of the counters. “Well that was fun.”
“I hope we get some more action. The rear sucks!” Tyler complained.
“Come on guys lets go check some rooms, maybe we’ll get lucky.” Will smiled and walked away from the counters with Tyler.
Jason let out a startled yelp. Will spun around to see a skinny undead man tackling Jason. Tyler raised his crossbow waiting for an open shot. Jason laid flat on his stomach with the zombie on his back. Will ran forward and kicked the man in the side sending him rolling away. Tyler then launched his bolt into its head.
Will helped Jason up. “Are you okay, man?”
“I think it tried to violate me!” Jason said.
“It did look like it had the hots for you, Jason.” Tyler winked at him.
“That isn’t funny dude!”
“He looks like he could have been a pedophile in his past life.” Will said joining in on the joke.
Jason made a mock laugh. “You guys are great friends.” He added sarcastically.
“We did save your life.” Tyler countered.
“Let’s just leave it at that and go check some rooms.” Will offered.
“Lead the way.” Tyler said excitingly.
The first to rooms were empty, but the third had two trapped zombies. Tyler of course selfishly put them down himself. Jason was still pretty shaken up so he didn’t mind.
Will hadn’t realized how late it had gotten. They met up with Jackson’s team who had pushed in through the front. It sounded to like they had only met a few zombies, ten at the most. Next thing he knew Rucker was telling them to regroup outside.
“It’s about midafternoon so we’ll head back now. Tomorrow we get the joy of disposing of these demons. Let’s go get some food and some rest.”
On the way back Tyler and a few others took care of any roaming zombies. Will thought that Tyler might have been the only one enjoying it.
The cafeteria was alive with conversation. Will sat with his friends and little sister quietly in the corner. The food was good tonight, except that he didn’t know what it was. He noticed that Tyler had barely touched his food, which was rare.
“What’s wrong, Ty?” Will asked through mouthfuls of food.
“I’ve just been thinking, I think I have an addiction.”
“You’re on drugs?” Will said with mock horror in his voice.
“Only one way to beat drugs Tyler, and that’s to have your friends beat it out of you.” Jason raised his fist.
“Oh, nice one.” Will said admiringly.
“I try my best.” Jason said.
“Guys, I’m not on drugs. I think I’m addicted to…” Tyler didn’t finish because Jason had sent the back of his hand across Tyler’s face. “Ow! What was that for!”
“Are you still addicted?” Jason asked using all he could to not smile.
“No you jerk! I think I’m addicted to killing zombies.” Tyler finished.
“Oh…” Will said. “What’s wrong with that? They need to be taken out anyways.”
“They’re bad guys!” Izzy added in.
“That’s right!” Will agreed.
Tyler thought about it for a second. “Well I guess if Izzy says their bad guys, its okay.” He dug into his food and in no time it was gone.
Jason looked up and then looked right back at his plate. “Will, we have some company.”
“What?” Will asked confused. “Oh it’s that bully kid. What do they want some more punches to the face.”
“Maybe they heard we were getting rid of addictions.” Jason smiled.
The big boy and his entourage approached their table. He cleared his throat and Will turned to look at him. “Yes?”
“Um… well… you see… um well we were wondering… if you could teach us.” The boy said the last few words quickly. One of his buddies elbowed him. “Oh my name is Brent. Oh and… um, please? ”
Will stood up and shook Brent’s hand. “Hello Brent, nice to meet you. Now what exactly do you want to us to teach you?”
“We want to know how to fight and shoot. Like you guys! We want to learn how to survive like you guys did!” Brent pleaded.
Will looked at his friends. “One moment.” He told Brent.
The three boys huddled around the table.
“Okay what should we do?” Will asked.
“Why should we help them?” Tyler said. “They’re a bunch of uptight jerks.”
“He has a point, Will.” Jason added.
“Yeah but they could be useful.”
Ideas began to flood into Tyler’s head, images of Brent and his gang used as pack mules and slaves, doing his every wish. “Okay, they can join.”
Will spun back towards Brent. “Alright, you guys can join our group and learn our ways.”
A buzz of excitement started between them.
“But!” Will started. The boys went silent. “You have to prove yourselves first. Think of it as a trial period, even an internship.”
“Thank you, Will!” Brent took Will’s and shook it wildly. “You won’t regret it!”
As the gang left Will turned back to his friends and took a deep breath. “Should be fun!”